All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Young and struggling
      #334824 - 08/19/08 04:59 AM
bloatedbelly

Reged: 08/19/08

I'm 18 years old and i was diagnosed with IBS about a year ago (although i had had problems since i can remember). I've recently moved out of home (and doing the whole university thing) and im stuggling making CHEAP meals that don't make me sick. does anyone know of any cheap easy meals?
or any cheap easy snacks even?

I think this site is amazing by the way, i wish i looked for a site like this earlyer

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Young and struggling new
      #334826 - 08/19/08 05:25 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

Pasta is super cheap, and easy on the belly. You can eat it plain with some salt and pepper if you're really having a bad day. When you want to add in some more IF, I like to boil some veggies right in the same pot as the pasta - I throw them in when the pasta has 3-4 minutes left to go. This makes them nice and soft.

Cereal can be cheap as well - you can eat a bowl with soy/almond/rice milk for breakfast. I throw in some berries for IF. You can also eat cereal dry as a snack. Pretzels are a good, cheap snack as well.

I don't know where you live - in about a month in New York (where I live), apples will be overly abundant and very cheap - a peeled apple is a nice snack. When apples are more expensive (in the summer), I buy individual size servings of applesauce for snacks - I buy the Mott's Healthy Harvest - no added sugar.

Bananas are cheap all year, and are a good source of SF.

I eat a lot of rice cakes as well - sometimes with deli meat on them for lunch, sometimes with a smidge of peanut or almond butter or jam on them for a snack.

I'm sure there's more - I'll post if I think of anything I forgot. But I'm sure others will chime in as well - everyone on this board is very helpful. Don't be afraid to post any questions you have.

Hope you start feeling well soon! It's tough to not feel well - it's doubly tough to not feel well and be away from home, especially if you're dealing with a roommate situation! Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-C

#334828 - 08/19/08 05:27 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

Do you have a kitchen or are you in a dorm?? That will make a difference. Rice could be the basis of your diet at least to begin with and if you buy in bulk it is very cheap. Get white rice and prepare it in large batches. Find a grocery or a bakery where you can buy french bread or sour dough every 3 days or so (I get mine for $1.49 per loaf). Buy chicken breasts in bulk when they go on sale and freeze them separately for easy preparation. One of my favorite ways to prepare chicken is to take a thawed breast and sprinkle it with Rotisserie flavoring (McCormicks is what I use). Wrap it very tightly in foil and cook about 35 to 40 minutes at 400 decrees. One large chicken breast will give me two or three meals. As you get stable add vegetables - carrots are very cheap and are great for IBS. I eat literally cups of green beans. I buy about $4.00 worth every weekend and cook them twice during the week. I like "southern" style green beans. String them, break them, add water almost to cover. Add about 1 tsp salt and about 1/4 tsp. real bacon bits (not enough to hurt you but it adds flavor). Experiment with fruit but it is more expensive. Try canned peaches and applesauce (make sure no high fructose corn syrup or other no nos). Good luck to you.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#334917 - 08/19/08 05:58 PM
jlrws

Reged: 08/12/08

you are in luck because IBS is probably a cheaper diet than most, as long as you are preparing your own food. red meat and dairy are pretty expensive-- but you don't have to pay for those cause they are no nos!

if you can tolerate bananas stock up they are cheap healthy fruit.

as the others said: rice, pasta, bread (probably not whole grain either-- which is good since that is usually more expensive) can be the base of your diet and are also some of the cheapest calories you can buy.

#334920 - 08/19/08 06:05 PM
IBSrunner

Reged: 07/25/08
Loc: California

There are alot of places you can get cheap grains in bulk. I buy tons of grains in bulk and it is super cheap. I am 19 and in college so I totally know what you are going through if you need anything feel free to ask away or email me @ ahayne@csulb.edu

--------------------
IBS-C Gas and constant Bloating

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2331 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2416

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review