All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Zara
      #334159 - 08/07/08 06:55 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

What's up? How are you? Still eating GF? Are you doing better? Haven't heard from you in a while...which could mean you are doing well with IBS-C...or have given up the diet.

Hope you are well.
Thinking of you!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Zara new
      #334162 - 08/07/08 07:22 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Hi Jordy, thanks for asking! I'm ok - not stable but have not had any bad attacks lately. I'm still moderately bloated and have a little bit of pain now and then. The C sort of comes and goes - I was really constipated last week but doing better this week. I haven't been able to figure out why .
I noticed you started another thread about possibly eating gluten again. I have to say that I noticed my C gets better when I eat gluten containing grains instead of GF products (too much starch I guess). I don't eat just wheat, usually I eat rye bread which here is made partially out of rye and partially out of wheat. Yesterday I also ate quite a few vanilla wafers . I realized that adding gluten to my diet didn't make me any worse off; I'm about the same way I was before so there's really no point for me avoiding it.
I hope adding gluten back to your diet will work for you and won't make your IBS worse! Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#334184 - 08/07/08 11:36 AM
Jordy

Thanks....I hope I have the courage to actually do it! I did test positive for antibodies and my intellectual mind is telling me there was a reason for that.

Quote:

I'm ok - not stable but have not had any bad attacks lately. I'm still moderately bloated and have a little bit of pain now and then.

What are/have you done to get to this place?

You are eating wheat too? Can you post a sample diet. That might help me get started! I thought you were just wf and not gf...didn't realize you were actually eating wheat now too.

--------------------

#334193 - 08/07/08 12:57 PM
Zara

Sorry if I confused you, I think it's because my posts have not been regular lately so one week I would declare to stay away from wheat and then not post a week later when I tried to add wheat back in.

So, I really have no idea what got me to this stage, I wish I could be more specific. But I'm also sure that things might be completely different in two weeks. I've gone through this before, feeling better, even almost feeling great, just to get worse again, out of the blue.

In the post that you bumped for me I wrote about how I just got sick of all the supplements so I won't repeat myself here. The only thing I take is Citrucel.
I do eat wheat and gluten, I finally figured that gluten was never my problem. Plus, as I said before, my C seems to get better when I eat wheat and glutenous foods.

Here's my sample diet, I'm not saying that this is the perfect IBS-C diet, it's more like a diet that didn't make me feel worse.

breakfast - corn flakes with oat bran and flaxseed, rice milk, or rye bread with either vegetable "butter" and chicken "ham" or veg. butter and jelly
lunch - white wheat tortilla with refried beans, cooked chicken, and cooked veggies, or today I made a stir-fry - chicken, carrots, zucchini, cooked potatoes, spices (pepper, oregano, salt, parsley)
dinner - either something like lunch, or rye bread and corn wafers (they look like wasa but made out of corn) with "butter" and ham - I try not to eat just bread so I substitute the corn wafers, or the other day I roasted chicken with some potatoes. Lately I've been liking red peppers (I can tolerate those raw with other food)
snack - fruit (mostly bananas, apples, lately I've had a few peaches and fresh plums), vanilla wafers, low-fat crackers (I look for those that are naturally low in fat and don't have a lot of additives). Yesterday I had some hard candies (pretty much sugar based).

Lately I've been trying to think how I used to eat when I was pre-teenage, before I had problems (I was always a C but back then I didn't have IBS). I remember mostly eating regular food, homemade, not junk food, not gluten free food. I wonder if I brought IBS upon myself because around 15 I started buying my own junk food sometimes (before I ate pretty much whatever my parents bought) - chips, cookies, etc. My problems started about 3 years later. So while since then I had periods of being a complete health nut (whole wheat, raw veggies, yogurt, etc.) perhaps that was just the other extreme and my gut couldn't take it anymore. Maybe if I just eat "normal" (and somewhat still within EFI guidelines), no junk food and unnatural additives but also not being a health nut by today's standards, my gut would calm down and go to the same stage as during my childhood/early teens?

I don't know, it's just that lately I've been tired of "diets" such as wheat free, gluten free, omit this, eat that... I just want to eat "normal" (within reason, I wouldn't eat stuff that's too fatty, fried, etc.), just the way it used to be. Hope to get there one day

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

one more thing... new
      #334195 - 08/07/08 01:02 PM
Zara

...I forgot to mention. There was this post about fluoride here about a week ago so I switched to a fluoride-free toothpaste (water here isn't fluoridated) to see what happens. I'm not sure whether that really helped anything, I just figured it's worth a shot. If I can link any improvement to the lack of fluoride in my diet I'll post it here.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#334253 - 08/08/08 06:22 PM
Jordy

Quote:

I don't know, it's just that lately I've been tired of "diets" such as wheat free, gluten free, omit this, eat that... I just want to eat "normal" (within reason, I wouldn't eat stuff that's too fatty, fried, etc.), just the way it used to be. Hope to get there one day

I understand...believe me!

Have you tried Ezkekiel bread? Fancymom seems to be okay with it.

--------------------

#334258 - 08/08/08 11:24 PM
Zara

No, I don't think it's available outside of the US and perhaps Canada.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#334389 - 08/11/08 07:32 AM
Jordy

You know what I used to eat/drink before the EFI/GF diet
B: All Bran or Fiber One with yogurt and prunes, coffee

coffee all morning

L: whole grain bread (about 4 grams of fiber in each piece) with melted lactose free cheese and raw tomatato and red pepper slices, fruit

More coffee

Snacks, raw carrot sticks or celery

Soda

D. Salad with cauliflower and cucumbers, light dressing, any kind of entree I felt like, a whole wheat roll.

Desert: cookies, rice krispy treat, brownie...

More soda

Snacks: pretzels, popcorn, fudge bars, graham crx with Peanut butter, bagels, etc.

I took citrucel a few times a day. I had a BM every day, with the help of coffee. I did have worse bloating and cramping at night but not Constipated

I would also have cottage cheese with a lactaid pill. I often think of going back to this way....but the pain at night was bad. But I think I was happier. And I ate foods without worrying if there was dry milk in them. I was like you, a healthy eater. But maybe if I had just cut out the soda?

--------------------

Re: Jordy new
      #334392 - 08/11/08 07:43 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

I used to eat almost eerily similarly, and like you, would go every day but have pain at night. I don't remember having this insane bloating all of the time.

I'm really really really starting to think that my problems are more stress related than food related. This would explain why my problems have gotten worse as I've gotten older (and gained more responsibility) and why my belly was soooooo much better while I was on vacation.

Unfortunately, I don't know what to do about this!

--------------------
IBS-C

Fen new
      #334396 - 08/11/08 08:05 AM
Jordy

Quote:

This would explain why my problems have gotten worse as I've gotten older (and gained more responsibility) and why my belly was soooooo much better while I was on vacation.

Unfortunately, I don't know what to do about this!

Fen, what are we gonna do?

Are you still on the stinking GF diet? How do you think your doing? Do you seriously think about going back to just eating? I don't know what to do. I don't remember this horrible OCD and sadness all the time over food and my belly. I just "lived". And I wasn't taking all these supplements either.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3752 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6089

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review