All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Daugher and IBS
      #334097 - 08/06/08 08:24 AM
MJPJNP1

Reged: 08/06/08

I hope someone will respond. My daughter is 15 and we think she has IBS-D. Doctors ruled out celiac and no inflamation in her blood work. We are going soon to the gastro Dr., but her M.D. does think its IBS. She did take a probiotic for 4 weeks and didn't see a big change. (She came down with the flu and thought the probiotic caused it) I have a mild form of U.C. and have learned to regulate my eating and seem to be under control. I cook from scratch and try explaining to her to follow a specific guideline. For the most part she is pretty good about it but at times since being a teenager it is hard. My main point of worry is now that school is starting she gets up at 4:00 AM to be ready for school by 7:00. She wont eat at all because she says she is in the bathroom constantly. That means she wont eat until after school at 3:00 which she is starving and very weak. I try to explain to her that if she eats oatmeal and gets her body use to soluble fiber she will adjust her body so she wont go to the bathroom as much. She insists she poops so much nothing works. I have had U.C. for ten years an explained to her when she was little sometimes I would just eat oatmeal, chicken, graham cracker, saltines and thats it if my stomach was upset. HOW DO I TEACH A TEENAGER SO SHE WILL LISTEN AND WHAT CAN SHE EAT SO SHE ONLY GOES TO THE BATHROOM A NORMAL AMOUNT? I HATE THAT SHE IS EXAUSTED AND GETS UP SO EARLY. SORRY IT'S SO LONG. BUT I NEED SOME ADVICE
THANKS SO MUCH WE CUT OUT DAIRY AND RED MEAT FOR HER ALSO.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Daugher and IBS new
      #334100 - 08/06/08 08:51 AM
Valerie A.

Reged: 11/08/05

So sorry to hear your daughter is suffering so badly. I understand her fear of eating when "everything" seems to make you go. In my experience, I have found that eating little things like pretzels throughout the day, helps my tummy from spasming after my next "meal." I believe part of my problem is the digestion process/function itself. In Heather's book ("First Year with IBS") she explains the brain gut function really well. Have you tried to get your daughter to read either this website or Heather's book? Or maybe asking her to try one thing for an entire week, like eat a banana for lunch just this week, and see how you do. I hope she is drinking lots of water.

My prayers and **hugs** for you and your daughter.
--Val

#334104 - 08/06/08 09:12 AM
MJPJNP1

Reged: 08/06/08

Thanks Val for your thoughts and prayers. I will try those tips and try to get her to read Heather's book. I do print articles and leave them for her to read. (Where else the bathroom) I know she has the time. I always wonder why I developed this in my 40's and now my daughter at 15. Maybe God decided this way I can help her through it. I will continue to research and help. We as moms wish if it had to happen that it would be only to us and to spare our children. I can try to guide her to make the best choices for her. THANKS AGAIN

#334106 - 08/06/08 09:22 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Definately get her on this site!!!She needs to know that if she gets things under control now, that the rest of her life will be so much nicer!!I would also suggest Imodium to help.I never took it because I didn't want anything else in my body that wasn't natural but it has saved me when I really was out of control.
That way she will also be able to eat and know the meds will help her get through the day.good luck to you and your daughter.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#334139 - 08/06/08 04:27 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

The only thing that I eat in the morning is sourdough bread and some smart balance. Soon after a bannana. Throughout the day I munch on carrots and pretzels, and have white rice with ever meal.

Teach your daughter that she most keep something in her system. Follow the diet ... and it does get better.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 993 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2019

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review