All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Important Discovery ... A Secret to IBS Stability!
      #334011 - 08/05/08 08:22 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hello Everyone!

Some of you may know me as one of the "oldtimers" on this message board.

I've had IBS for 50 years and I am very severe, but I've had my condition under control for many years now through following Heather's diet and taking my own extra precautions like eating organic, etc.

Recently I discovered something rather important that has resulted in my being even more stable than ever ... and I just wanted to share it with you.

I removed regular potatoes (not sweet potatoes or yams, but regular potatoes) from my diet about three months ago. I replaced the potatoes with organic white Basmati rice, which I steam in a rice cooker. For some reason Basmatic is one of the best types of rice for IBS people.

This single change has resulted in my feeling even better than ever. I rarely get gas or discomfort or upset tummies anymore -- even around menstruation!

I spoke to my doctor who wasn't surprised by this. She says potatoes can cause gas and can be hard on the tummy. She said rice is a much better food choice.

Just thought I would let you know in case you want to try a similar diet switch.

Belinda

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Important Discovery ... A Secret to IBS Stability! new
      #334016 - 08/05/08 09:48 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

thanks for the interesting information, Belinda! {{{hugs}}} So glad it helps you and it's worth a try for the rest of us.

#334037 - 08/05/08 01:21 PM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

Thanks for the great tip! I will try cutting out white potatoes and see if it helps me too.

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

#334046 - 08/05/08 02:06 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You can read about it on the NIH web site in the section on " Gas in the Disgestive Tract ". It states "Most starches, including potatoes, corn, pasta, and wheat, produce gas as they are broken down in the large intestine. Rice is the only starch that does not cause gas"

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

I eat that! new
      #334054 - 08/05/08 04:08 PM
Hapamama

Reged: 05/15/08
Loc: Seattle

How funny! I just started eating organic basmati rice and it's been great for me and my family - also, we rarely eat potatoes - who knew??? Thanks for the info!

Gosh new
      #334063 - 08/05/08 06:30 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

potatoes with skin are one of my best foods. Rice binds me horribly!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

balancing act new
      #334148 - 08/06/08 06:41 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Yes, in a way you are right that rice can bind you. If you are IBS-D though, rice may be a godsend. However, if you are IBS-C and you want to give up those gassy potatoes, then you may have to increase some of the veggies you are eating to offset the effect the rice may have on you.

IBS is very much a juggling act in terms of diet. You need to find the right balance of each food that works best for you.

In my case I find eating careful quantities of certain veggies works well for me. If I stop eating any of those veggies, I can get IBS-C. If I eat too much, I can get IBS-D.

Overall I have found keeping the right balance of foods, combined with staying away from gassy potatoes, has resulted in a great improvement for me. I don't eat huge quantities of rice. Like everything else, I eat a careful quantity that I know works for me and doesn't cause IBS-C.

The bottom line is gassy foods are tough on us IBSers! To me, potatoes are not very desirable since they cause gas.

However, I must admit, I love the taste of those spuds! When I was in kindergarten, the teacher gave us some clay and told us to make the thing we loved the most in the world. I made a potato!
:-)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 793 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2059

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review