All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Please Help!!
      #333919 - 08/04/08 07:06 AM
IBSrunner

Reged: 07/25/08
Loc: California

I have been on only soluble foods for only one day and I feel awful. Super bloated, tired, gassy, constipated, and nausous. Did anyone else feel this way? Should I stay on the diet!? Please Help I am so frustrated and confused.

--------------------
IBS-C Gas and constant Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Please Help!! new
      #333920 - 08/04/08 07:15 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Please list the meals and snacks you have eaten for the past couple of days.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#333922 - 08/04/08 07:30 AM
IBSrunner

Piece of flatbread
flour and corn tortillas
bagel
applesauce
mango
french bread
banana

I have had all these foods before with no reaction

--------------------

#333942 - 08/04/08 01:25 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I am IBS-D and I presume you are IBS-C. When I have a flare-up I go back to a basic diet composed of solely of oatmeal with banana for breakfast and rice, chicken breast and boiled/peeled carrots for lunch and dinner. Usually within 2-3 days the flare-up settles down enough for me to add safe things back into my diet.

You might also consider removing applesauce and mangoes from your diet. Some IBSers have problems with foods that are high in the sugar fructose. I have this problem. Also, I presume you have checked the ingredients on all of the items you listed to ensure that don't contain dairy, HFCS or other problematic ingredients.

As Heather has noted, if you are IBS-C and it has been a chronic problem it can take several weeks before you get it under control. It took me about a year before I considered myself relatively stable.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#333953 - 08/04/08 02:38 PM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

Hey IBSrunner!
I definitely react badly to apples/applesauce AND oatmeal! You may want to stay away from those.

Try some soy yogurt (even if you cannot tolerate soy, the fermented soy yogurt is very easy to digest because it's already broken down, PLUS it has good bacteria for your gut). Also try SOURDOUGH bread. It is much easier to digest than pita, because also it is fermented and without yeast or sugar. The bananas should be alright.

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

#333971 - 08/04/08 04:58 PM
IBSrunner

Thanks for the advice I tried soy yogurt and so far so good. I am starting to avoid oatmeal too (I noticed my stomach would feel strange.)

--------------------

Most of what you ate was probably unsafe! new
      #334012 - 08/05/08 08:30 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I do not recommend the flatbread, flour and corn tortillas, bagel or French bread unless you have read the ingredients and know for a fact they are IBS-safe. Under no circumstances do I recommend tortillas, and especially not corn ones. Corn is a major IBS trigger. Bagels can be very heavy on the tummy so I don't recommend them unless you are very stable.

Please see if you can find Yehuda brand matzoh, maybe in a Jewish store. It contains just white wheat flour and water. It is a safe "bread" food while you are searching for a safe bread product.

The applesauce, mango and banana could also cause problems depending on how unstable your IBS is.

Please feel free to e-mail me (see my profile) if you want further help!

Re: Most of what you ate was probably unsafe! new
      #334013 - 08/05/08 08:55 AM
IBSrunner

humm I find that interesting since Heather has those in her book as safe foods to eat when you cant eat anything.

--------------------

journey of self-discovery new
      #334150 - 08/06/08 07:01 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

There is nothing wrong with some of the foods Heather's recommends. However, you can't just wantomly buy them and eat them! Unfortunately, you need to check the ingredients to ensure they are safe. For example, sour dough bread may in principal be safe, but you still need to make sure you buy a safe brand. Ingredients will vary from brand to brand.

However, having said that, I don't agree with everything Heather recommends. I agree with the rules of her diet. I think they are excellent. However, I disagree with many of the prepared foods she recommends. I also don't agree with many of her recipes.

I also believe that food source is a critical factor in the IBS diet equation. I believe it's much safer to eat organic / naturally raised / non-genetically-modified foods. The extra money you may spend on it may be recovered through being less sick and thus needing to take less sick time off work or buying less medication.

I also think it's critical to prepare much of the food you eat from scratch because that way you can have full control over the ingredients.

IBS also varies from person to person. So the things I can tolerate may be slightly different from what you can tolerate. So finding a diet that will work for you is somewhat a journey of self-discovery.

However, there are certain universal IBS trigger foods that Heather has very astutely identified. I totally agree with her on those triggers because I know from painful experience myself that they can cause IBS attacks.

Some people claim that some of the triggers don't bother them. To those people, I say: If you are still suffering with IBS symptoms, then the triggers that you think are safe may unfortunately, in fact, be contributing to your ongoing symptoms.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 931 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2121

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review