All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Balancing the body's PH
      #333876 - 08/03/08 10:06 AM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

Anybody done any research on metabolic acidosis as a cause for IBS?

I know that if our body's ph gets out of whack (meaning acidic) it can cause a number of health issues. Including intestinal problems. Due to american diets full of sugars, sodas, pastries, animal proteins, chocolate, bread, etc...our bodies are probably very acidic and we don't know it.

You can buy ph paper and pee or spit on it and it will tell you if your body is acidic.

Just curious if anyone has looked into this. I am researching this and finding it very interesting!!

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Balancing the body's PH new
      #333879 - 08/03/08 12:39 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Metabolic acidosis is when the pH of the blood is high. The normal pH of blood is 7.4, and acidosis occurs when the pH is less than 7.4 and alkalosis occurs when the pH is greater than 7.4.

Generally speaking metabolic acidosis is caused by such things as genetic disorders, renal failure, diabetes and poisons. The pH of the blood is not changed by the foods you eat unless you are on a starvation diet. On the other hand the pH of urine can be changed by the food and medicines. In people who are not vegetarians, the pH of urine tends to be acidic. A diet rich in citrus fruits, legumes, and vegetables raises the pH and produces urine that is more alkaline.

I have not seen anything mentioned in the IBS research about a relationship between metabolic acidosis, urine pH and IBS.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#333881 - 08/03/08 01:40 PM
fancymom

Hey Syl!
Thanks for the info.

I peed on my ph paper and it said my urine was VERY alkaline. Not sure if that had anything to do with the fact that I had taken my trace minerals supplement about an hour before.

Anyway, I have been on antacids for many years (7, to be exact) and I am worried it is messing up my body's ph. What do you think?

--------------------
FancyMom

#333884 - 08/03/08 02:02 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Is the antacid you are taking something like Tums (calcium carbonate) or milk of magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) or are you taking a H2-antagonist drug like Zantac or Pepcid?

Antacid like Tums can have a small effect urine pH but not on blood pH. The other drugs as far as I know have no effect on urine pH because the act on the acid secreting glands in the stomach.

Generally speaking it is quite difficult to upset the pH levels in your body unless you have a disease. Antacids have been around for a long time and their effects on the body are quite well understood. Probably nothing to worry about.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#333889 - 08/03/08 02:39 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

IMHO, get off the antiacids. They cause you to produce more acid with chronic use. (I've heard).

Are you GF now or still eating ezekiel? I can't keep with who is GF and who isn't anymore! Like Zara or Fen. Isn't it wonderful not knowing what the problem is?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#333895 - 08/03/08 05:42 PM
fancymom

What is IMHO?

No. Not GF. I do eat ezekiel bread from time to time. Not really every day anymore, 'cuz it gives me diarrhea if I eat too much. Lots of IF!

BTW - I have TRIED to get off antacids about 20 times, and I am in SOOOO much pain, it doesn't last longer than a few days and I give in and start taking them again. I know they are bad to stay on for long periods of time, and it really stresses me out to be on them for 7 years. How do I quit without having horrible reflux, though? I have to be careful, I have 2 hiatal hernias and gastritis.

Any suggestions? I thought about switching to zantac, then trying to wean from there. Zantac in much weaker than what I'm taking now, it's actually just an acid buffer, but doesn't stop the production of stomach acid. What I'm taking now is SUPER strong. Strongest one on the market right now. It's a PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitor).

--------------------
FancyMom

#333896 - 08/03/08 05:44 PM
fancymom

Thanks for your response, Syl.

I actually take a drug called Zegerid. It's a PPI. Kinda like Nexium, but supposedly a "new & improved" stronger version of it. He has me on it twice a day...which is a lot, I think.

--------------------
FancyMom

#333906 - 08/03/08 06:20 PM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

Very interesting, Fancy. It would be worth checking into.

#334186 - 08/07/08 11:43 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

No. Not GF. I do eat ezekiel bread from time to time. Not really every day anymore, 'cuz it gives me diarrhea if I eat too much. Lots of IF!

I could use some D! Just eating it a few days a week is all you do to help the C?

IMHO, stands for "in my humble opinion".

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 621 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4389

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review