All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Question for Jordy and anyone else following a GF diet.
      #333606 - 07/30/08 11:20 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

Well, I guess it's actually more than one question

What made you decide to quit eating gluten?
And have you noticed any improvement?

I followed a gluten free diet for quite a while after a doctor recommended it - I was having huge belly problems after eating lots of bran and wheat. I initially noticed quite a bit of improvement - I have absolutely no clue if this was from giving up all wheat, or just the bran. I was really constipated on the diet however (lots of white rice and starchy substitues) and so still felt like crap and began eating wheat again. Shortly after I began eating wheat again is (as far as I can remember) when the bloating began. And it's been worsening since then, almost two years ago now.

I tested negative for the Celiac blood test, but this test is notably unreliable - one could be gluten intolerant and have a negative test.

I keep wavering back and forth on this (once a day or so). Just curious what others' experiences were...

--------------------
IBS-C

Edited by Fen (07/30/08 11:21 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question for Jordy and anyone else following a GF diet. new
      #333610 - 07/30/08 12:33 PM
Hapamama

Reged: 05/15/08
Loc: Seattle

We put DS on GF diet for behavioral issues and saw a HUGE improvement. He also recently tested negative for Celiac's but I'm keeping him off gluten anyway. As a result of DS being off gluten, my diet became almost GF and I noticed that the bloating decreased and that I just felt better. When I eat something w/gluten I feel fatigued and I do get bloated, so that was really all I needed to know. I trust my body! Bloating is a huge issue for me - the more bloated I am the more likely my colon is to seize and that always leads to a severe attack for me. It is the worst pain ever, so anything that reduces bloating is something I want to stick to! I even experimented yesterday w/whole wheat pastry flour, thinking that since it's lighter it might be okay. W/in a short time of sampling the vegan muffins I had made, I started feeling sick. So that confirmed it for me. HTH!

#333612 - 07/30/08 12:40 PM
Fen

Thanks, that is helpful.

So do you combine a GF diet with the EFI diet? Or are you ok with fruits and salads and things??

--------------------
IBS-C

Fen..... new
      #333614 - 07/30/08 12:52 PM
Hapamama

Yes, I have been combining GF w/EFI. I do eat things that are said to be no-no's on the EFI, but I am careful to combine them w/good GF SF's,eat them in very small quantities (smaller portion size/more frequent meals have been a big life saver for me) Although I eat way less fruit, I have been able to eat green veggies, in very small portions w/success by eating a good poriton of SF before and after I consume the veggies. So I eat my salad/veggies last and follow it up w/a few bites of rice. I let the the SF act as a cushion. I also have learned to respect my eating time better by eating sitting down and slowly. That makes a big difference too. HTH! Hang in there and keep listening to your body, it will tell you what you need.

Ok, Hapamama new
      #333618 - 07/30/08 01:54 PM
Fen

One more question. How long would you say you were eating GF (or mostly GF) before you noticed a difference? In bloating? Fatigue?

I want to give it a fair shot, but each time I do I inevitably give up because I don't immediately feel better.

--------------------
IBS-C

#333623 - 07/30/08 04:04 PM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

Hey Fen -
Are you sure it was gluten that made you bloated, or was it yeast?

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

#333627 - 07/30/08 05:17 PM
Fen

I'm really not sure of anything anymore, Fancymom. But I did eat yeasted GF bread when I did the GF diet, and like I said, didn't experience this tremendous bloating until I began eating wheat again.

I do see how yeasted foods would make things ferment and bubble and gas even more in our guts. But my gut tells me (no pun intended) that it's not as simple as that for me. Because I really don't think I can tolerate the Ezekiel breads or tortillas or wheat cereals, and none of those have yeast.

I wish I could be fed intravenously and just forget about eating all together

--------------------
IBS-C

#333628 - 07/30/08 06:34 PM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

Me too!! I want chocolate cake and ice cream in MY IV!!!

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

Good question! new
      #333633 - 07/30/08 08:14 PM
Hapamama

I noticed a change in my energy level and bloating almost immediately - I honestly felt lighter - not so heavy and full KWIM? I also am able for the first time in years to wear my pants all day long - they're not too tight late at night due to bloating. Before, if I had my pants on too late into the evening, it could trigger an attack because they would be too tight on my belly. As I write this, it's 8:12pm and I'm comfortably SITTING in the same pants I put on this morning. I could not have done that before. I really hope this helps you too!

THere is no reason why you can't have those things Fancymom.... new
      #333634 - 07/30/08 08:16 PM
Hapamama

I eat those things - just not loaded w/gluten and dairy. I am not an advocate of deprivation!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 783 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8108

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review