All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Help! Not handling carbs well!
      #332768 - 07/18/08 06:12 PM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

I don't think a high-carb diet is right for my body. I know Heather says that we shouldn't gain weight on this diet because it's so low fat, but everytime I decide to buckle down and do the diet hard core to try and stabilize, I immediately gain 5 to 7 pounds! Within days! So then I decide that a high-carb diet is not for me, so I start eating more salads and things. I'm bloated no matter what way I eat, but I weigh less when I eat more veggies!

How do I solve this? Do you think my bloating is actually due to undiagnosed food intolerances rather than IBS? I've often thought that I have a wheat/gluten intolerance...

--------------------
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help! Not handling carbs well! new
      #332772 - 07/18/08 07:44 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Research results just came out that a low fat diet didn't do as well as the Atkin's lo-carb or Mediterranean diet to reduce weight and keep it off. They also helped with better lowering cholesterol and blood sugar. Low fat diets often contain more sugar and carbs, which may make it harder to lose weight in the long run. For me, lower carb, not lo- fat made all the difference. My IBS symptoms also disappeared as well when I stopped eating foods with yeast, and reduced my intake of wheat and sugar. I try to eat yeast-free bread with millet and flax, or yeast-free tortilla bread, when I do eat bread. Maybe you have a sensitivity to more than just one food.

I had to experiment to find that I have a big sensitivity to yeast, especially when I eat foods with sugar listed as one of the first 2-3 ingredients on the food label along with the yeast. If you think about it...what causes bread to rise?...maybe the same thing is happening inside your gut? Maybe experiment to see if you feel less bloated if you eliminate yeast and reduce sugar (not listed as one of the first 2 ingredients on the label)for a few days. Then when you start eating yeast again, see what happens.I could not tolerate any salad either until I got the yeast in my gut under control. I now take probiotics to help in that regard, as well. It's a learning process, that's for sure.

#332779 - 07/19/08 04:01 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

Kim, do you tolerate fruit? I know that with a Candida overgrowth you're not supposed to eat any fruit, but if it's more a sensitivity to sugar and yeast, fruit should be fine, right?

With my bladder problems I can literally only tolerate about 4 fruits, but I don't want to give them up! I need something sweet in my life!

I'm leaving to go camping for a few days and I'm bringing rice cakes and brown rice tortillas to use for sandwiches instead of bread and hopefully I can stay away from my hubby's sweets! Hopefully 4 or 5 days of eating like this should give me a good indication.

I've suspected wheat and sugar for a loooooooong time, unfortunately. Never really guessed yeast, but it totally makes sense!

Thanks for the input!

--------------------
IBS-C

#332791 - 07/19/08 06:42 AM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06

Actually, when I experimented with the diet recommended, I was allowed to eat any berries (even with the high natural sugar, they are excellent antioxidants...more bang for your buck with berries), and lemons, limes and green apples. Now, I can tolerate most fruit. Everyone is different. Be sure to read all food labels, as yeast is hidden and disguised in a LOT of processed foods. Good luck! Let us know what you find out.
Kim

#332792 - 07/19/08 06:53 AM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

I think I'm with Kim...AND Fen!
I cannot tolerate much lettuce in my salad, OR yeast, OR high sugar in my diet. I may have a candida problem. Yeast definitely makes my stomach "rise" like bread! So, I eat ezekiel bread, and Van's yeast free, gluten free, wheat free, dairy free waffles. They are really tasty!!! They come in blueberry and apple cinnamon.

I'm like you, Kim. I can tolerate most fruits, I just have to peel them.

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

#332804 - 07/19/08 08:19 AM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

Yes, everyone IS different, and many of us have food intolerances and health conditions or considerations that make it a little trickier to follow Heather's diet in the exact same way as everyone else.

HOWEVER, this does not mean we can't follow the diet! We just have to be a bit more creative with our food choices.

For example, I have type 1 diabetes, and I am sensitive to wheat, in addition to dairy and tomatoes. But there are many foods which are safe for me in terms of my IBS and also don't cause other problems for me. For example, I eat plenty of soft, cooked vegetables like squash and spinach, along with an SF base of sweet potatoes or quinoa, etc. And I get plenty of protein from eating chicken breasts, tofu, and fish. I also eat mangoes, rice bread, rice cheese, soy and goat's milk yogurt, and a variety of other healthy foods. The key is to experiment and make adjustments based on your body's reactions to the foods you are eating, rather than to abandon the diet altogether.

--------------------
Julia

#332814 - 07/19/08 01:22 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08

Where do you find rice bread and rice cheese? Any suggestions for tring tofu for the first time?

Color me "chicken"....

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#332817 - 07/19/08 02:26 PM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

I would cut up tofu in small pieces, marinade it for a while in teriyaki sauce and then just stir fry with other veggies.
Sharon

The Dimona, Israel, diet study new
      #332819 - 07/19/08 03:53 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

Another weight loss study was published this week. This one, partly funded by Atkins Research Foundation, pitted a low-fat diet against a Mediterranean diet against an Atkins-like diet. The news has either declared Atkins the winner, or that they all worked, or that they all failed.

Quote:

At the end of the two year mark, the overall weight losses among the 322 participants, respectively, were:

[Low-fat] −2.9 kg [±4.2] —7.3 pounds

[Moderate fat Mediterranean] −4.4 kg [±6.0] —10.1 pounds

[Low carbohydrate Atkins like] −4.7 kg [±6.5] —12.1 pounds

In other words, they lost one to 1.5 ounces a week by dieting for 2 years, with a difference of less than 4[sic - should be 5] pounds between the various diets after 2 years. Clinically, this is insignificant. But that's not the full story.

The Junkfood Science article I'm quoting goes on to explain procedural problems with the study including the great classic of all weight loss programs - misreporting on people who drop out. It also provides a link to the New England Journal of Medicine article that reports the results so you can do your own analysis.

Frankly, I found the Junkfood Science article discouraging - she points out the similar lack of success in other studies - but I have to admit this makes a lot of sense (emphasis mine):

Quote:

Since the first low-calorie diet book was published nearly a century ago, diet doctors have come up with every imaginable gimmick for reducing calories, manipulating macronutrients in every conceivable way. If anything was truly effective, after nearly a century, there would be no diet industry and everyone would be slim.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: The Dimona, Israel, diet study new
      #332821 - 07/19/08 04:34 PM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

Interesting. I truly just hate the word "diet!" Makes me want to go order a pizza, or grab a pint of Haagen daaz

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 957 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 58156

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review