All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Help! Not handling carbs well!
      #332768 - 07/18/08 06:12 PM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

I don't think a high-carb diet is right for my body. I know Heather says that we shouldn't gain weight on this diet because it's so low fat, but everytime I decide to buckle down and do the diet hard core to try and stabilize, I immediately gain 5 to 7 pounds! Within days! So then I decide that a high-carb diet is not for me, so I start eating more salads and things. I'm bloated no matter what way I eat, but I weigh less when I eat more veggies!

How do I solve this? Do you think my bloating is actually due to undiagnosed food intolerances rather than IBS? I've often thought that I have a wheat/gluten intolerance...

--------------------
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help! Not handling carbs well! new
      #332772 - 07/18/08 07:44 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Research results just came out that a low fat diet didn't do as well as the Atkin's lo-carb or Mediterranean diet to reduce weight and keep it off. They also helped with better lowering cholesterol and blood sugar. Low fat diets often contain more sugar and carbs, which may make it harder to lose weight in the long run. For me, lower carb, not lo- fat made all the difference. My IBS symptoms also disappeared as well when I stopped eating foods with yeast, and reduced my intake of wheat and sugar. I try to eat yeast-free bread with millet and flax, or yeast-free tortilla bread, when I do eat bread. Maybe you have a sensitivity to more than just one food.

I had to experiment to find that I have a big sensitivity to yeast, especially when I eat foods with sugar listed as one of the first 2-3 ingredients on the food label along with the yeast. If you think about it...what causes bread to rise?...maybe the same thing is happening inside your gut? Maybe experiment to see if you feel less bloated if you eliminate yeast and reduce sugar (not listed as one of the first 2 ingredients on the label)for a few days. Then when you start eating yeast again, see what happens.I could not tolerate any salad either until I got the yeast in my gut under control. I now take probiotics to help in that regard, as well. It's a learning process, that's for sure.

#332779 - 07/19/08 04:01 AM
Fen

Kim, do you tolerate fruit? I know that with a Candida overgrowth you're not supposed to eat any fruit, but if it's more a sensitivity to sugar and yeast, fruit should be fine, right?

With my bladder problems I can literally only tolerate about 4 fruits, but I don't want to give them up! I need something sweet in my life!

I'm leaving to go camping for a few days and I'm bringing rice cakes and brown rice tortillas to use for sandwiches instead of bread and hopefully I can stay away from my hubby's sweets! Hopefully 4 or 5 days of eating like this should give me a good indication.

I've suspected wheat and sugar for a loooooooong time, unfortunately. Never really guessed yeast, but it totally makes sense!

Thanks for the input!

--------------------
IBS-C

#332791 - 07/19/08 06:42 AM
kim123

Actually, when I experimented with the diet recommended, I was allowed to eat any berries (even with the high natural sugar, they are excellent antioxidants...more bang for your buck with berries), and lemons, limes and green apples. Now, I can tolerate most fruit. Everyone is different. Be sure to read all food labels, as yeast is hidden and disguised in a LOT of processed foods. Good luck! Let us know what you find out.
Kim

#332792 - 07/19/08 06:53 AM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

I think I'm with Kim...AND Fen!
I cannot tolerate much lettuce in my salad, OR yeast, OR high sugar in my diet. I may have a candida problem. Yeast definitely makes my stomach "rise" like bread! So, I eat ezekiel bread, and Van's yeast free, gluten free, wheat free, dairy free waffles. They are really tasty!!! They come in blueberry and apple cinnamon.

I'm like you, Kim. I can tolerate most fruits, I just have to peel them.

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

#332804 - 07/19/08 08:19 AM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

Yes, everyone IS different, and many of us have food intolerances and health conditions or considerations that make it a little trickier to follow Heather's diet in the exact same way as everyone else.

HOWEVER, this does not mean we can't follow the diet! We just have to be a bit more creative with our food choices.

For example, I have type 1 diabetes, and I am sensitive to wheat, in addition to dairy and tomatoes. But there are many foods which are safe for me in terms of my IBS and also don't cause other problems for me. For example, I eat plenty of soft, cooked vegetables like squash and spinach, along with an SF base of sweet potatoes or quinoa, etc. And I get plenty of protein from eating chicken breasts, tofu, and fish. I also eat mangoes, rice bread, rice cheese, soy and goat's milk yogurt, and a variety of other healthy foods. The key is to experiment and make adjustments based on your body's reactions to the foods you are eating, rather than to abandon the diet altogether.

--------------------
Julia

#332814 - 07/19/08 01:22 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08

Where do you find rice bread and rice cheese? Any suggestions for tring tofu for the first time?

Color me "chicken"....

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#332817 - 07/19/08 02:26 PM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

I would cut up tofu in small pieces, marinade it for a while in teriyaki sauce and then just stir fry with other veggies.
Sharon

The Dimona, Israel, diet study new
      #332819 - 07/19/08 03:53 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

Another weight loss study was published this week. This one, partly funded by Atkins Research Foundation, pitted a low-fat diet against a Mediterranean diet against an Atkins-like diet. The news has either declared Atkins the winner, or that they all worked, or that they all failed.

Quote:

At the end of the two year mark, the overall weight losses among the 322 participants, respectively, were:

[Low-fat] −2.9 kg [±4.2] —7.3 pounds

[Moderate fat Mediterranean] −4.4 kg [±6.0] —10.1 pounds

[Low carbohydrate Atkins like] −4.7 kg [±6.5] —12.1 pounds

In other words, they lost one to 1.5 ounces a week by dieting for 2 years, with a difference of less than 4[sic - should be 5] pounds between the various diets after 2 years. Clinically, this is insignificant. But that's not the full story.

The Junkfood Science article I'm quoting goes on to explain procedural problems with the study including the great classic of all weight loss programs - misreporting on people who drop out. It also provides a link to the New England Journal of Medicine article that reports the results so you can do your own analysis.

Frankly, I found the Junkfood Science article discouraging - she points out the similar lack of success in other studies - but I have to admit this makes a lot of sense (emphasis mine):

Quote:

Since the first low-calorie diet book was published nearly a century ago, diet doctors have come up with every imaginable gimmick for reducing calories, manipulating macronutrients in every conceivable way. If anything was truly effective, after nearly a century, there would be no diet industry and everyone would be slim.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: The Dimona, Israel, diet study new
      #332821 - 07/19/08 04:34 PM
fancymom

Interesting. I truly just hate the word "diet!" Makes me want to go order a pizza, or grab a pint of Haagen daaz

--------------------
FancyMom

#332822 - 07/19/08 04:36 PM
fancymom

Tofu is disgusting! Sorry...but I have tried it probably a half dozen times, all different ways and I just hate it.

But the rice bread and rice cheese is pretty good. You can get them both at your local health food store (we have Wholefoods) in the "dairy" section. Just ask someone if you don't see them right away.

--------------------
FancyMom

#332826 - 07/19/08 05:06 PM
kim123

Sand- I appreciate your comments. You are right. To make changes in ones' life, such as going on a diet, usually requires much self-discipline. Even when we know what's not good for us, how quick we are, willing to give in to the temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak Gimmicks won't help one lose weight and keep it off. It has to be a lifestyle change. Most people, especially here in America, aren't eagerly willing to make those changes.It is a "me" world, after all. And we want it right now!

Speaking personally, a lower-carb lifestyle keeps my weight off and IBS symptoms away. Everyone I know who has tried a lo-carb diet has also improved their cholesterol levels along with significant weight loss. The problem is, once they go back to their old eating habits, it all comes back again. Hence, it really has to become a lifestyle change, not a diet for a quick fix.

Here's another thought to ponder...What do farmers give to cattle that fattens them up?...antibiotics and grains.
What do we give our children from the time they are born?......hmmmmm

#332827 - 07/19/08 06:44 PM
fancymom

Ok, Kim.
I have tried the low carb dieting, but it doesn't seem to help me lose weight.

What do you eat during a "typical" day?? Can you give me some examples? How long did it take when you first started the low carb thing before you starting losing weight? How much have you lost? Have you ever done The South Beach Diet?

Thanks for any info you can give - and sorry for all the questions!!

--------------------
FancyMom

#332841 - 07/19/08 09:05 PM
kim123

I had friends of mine follow the South Beach diet and do well. I have not done it, but it seems reasonable. I first went on an anti-fungal diet to get my symptoms under control and the weight just naturally fell off.

For me now, I don't follow a specific diet, really, but it is a version of an anti-fungal diet as I don't eat a lot of grains and sugar, still.
Breakfast- coffee with half and half, maybe bacon/eggs, or omelette wrapped in lo-carb tortilla bread, or oatmeal with honey-no sugar.
Lunch- I'm not a big lunch eater. Maybe leftover dinner from the night before, or munch on cheese, crackers and yogurt. Sometimes a salad, with grilled chicken or other meat or salmon/tuna topping. Or, just stir-fried chicken or beef with steamed broccoli, carrots, or peas.
Dinner- any meat/fish or poultry with choices of steamed veggies, sweet potato, occasionally brown rice, or some type of salad. Snacks may be plain full fat yogurt with frozen or fresh berries with Stevia, a homemade lo-carb cheesecake, green apple or baby carrots with ranch dip. I do have my moments of weakness and eat chips, cookies and other sweets, sometimes too many. I am human, after all!

When I first started I never had any grains or sugar for 2 weeks, absolutely no processed foods from a box or can. Never any soda-bad for you anyway. I don't drink a lot of juice- too many calories. I drink a lot of water. I think the natural anti-fungals I took also helped lose the weight. As I went along, I didn't have the cravings I once had. I guess you need to do what works best for you. But, don't try to do a little bit of each of the lo-carb and lo-fat diet. Won't work. Lo-fat diets usually have higher sugar (carbs). Pick one diet and give it time to work for you. And we all know, exercise plays a big part in weight loss, too.

I suppose I never had much weight to lose, but I'm guessing I lost about 10 pounds and have kept it off for 5 years now.

#332842 - 07/19/08 10:35 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Wow, I didn't have a chance to reply yesterday, and I was so surprised when I saw how many responses this thread generated over the past 24h!

Fen, when I read your post, I was nodding my head so hard that I almost hit the keyboard! I've had a very similar experience. When I eat a lot of carbs (especially wheat) I get really puffy and I am bloated and have cramps. When I tried cutting those out I was less puffy, still bloated with cramps, and my C got worse. So I've always felt like there was a trade-off - bloating and cramps will always be there, plus I can either be puffy or my C would be worse (because it's not like my C goes completely away when I do eat wheat). Weight isn't a number one priority for me in this case, however, if I could loose a few pounds it wouldn't be too bad . Once can resemble a goodyear's blimp no matter what the scale says !

Fancymom - I'm the same way with tofu. A while ago I finally decided to stop trying to like it. I use chicken and egg whites for protein instead.

I have tried Elaine Gottschal's diet before here but I had to quit after a couple days since my bloating actually got worse and so did the cramps. I just couldn't take it anymore. But it is possible that I went too crazy a little too fast. For example, I did try eating salads, beans, etc.

I've had every test under the sun and I never tested positive for candida or SIBO (small intestine bacteria overgrowth). At the same time, my GI said that although all of my tests were negative they are not 100% right and I should play with different dietary approaches.

I think I will reconsider everything today and try to combine the diet Kim outlines with Heather's guidelines. After all, it's not like Heather says that sugar is mandatory. Also, I will try not to eat yeast stuff. I have a spelt flour at home so I will make a bread, using baking powder instead of yeast.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#332846 - 07/20/08 04:39 AM
GaGa

I've battled yeast for years, since they first diagnosed me with CFIDS, but have to admit I've approached the diet issue half-heartedly. I've read "The Fungus Factor" by Doug Kaufman, watched his TV show and been to his website, plus all the other books on the market-all the way back to Dr. Crook...However, if I go mainly protein, my body doesn't seem to digest it as well, but the yeast issue does get better. My biggest problem is I think I'm addicted to the "sweet taste" - even Splenda. I've tried Stevia, but still too bitter. I can do without cookies, cakes, candy, but I have trouble drinking just plain water - isn't that stupid? I drink 90+ounces a day, but it has to have just a little taste to it - like a little Propel or a little organic fruit juice - maybe 1 oz. to 16 oz. ratio w/ Splenda. You must be a very strong-willed person to be able to be successful on the yeast diet. I don't want to do the drugs anymore and am trying to use yogurt and probiotics instead, but if I eat the wrong thing, I can wake up with thrush - just overnight. Any suggestions other than just stop sugar/yeast cold-turkey? Thanks.

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#332852 - 07/20/08 07:22 AM
kim123

Zara- I think you can incorporate Heather's diet with a reduced wheat/sugar diet. I myself have been following some of her suggestions when it comes to eating IF and SF, and have noticed positive results.

When you start any reduced (preferably elimination for awhile) grain/yeast/sugar diet, you probably will feel worse before feeling better, if you do have a fungal condition. You are starving the fungus and the toxins are dying off. It's called Herxheimer's response. I felt worse after starting my elimination diet for about 4-5 days...much worse. More gas, bloating, D, lethargic, aches and pains, etc. That was one indication for me that I really did have a fungal problem.

GaGa- have you tried natural antifungals to help with yeast? I'm sorry to say, but I don't think you will ever get rid of the yeast without doing some form of anti-fungal diet, even for a few weeks. At least maybe try to severely reduce your sugar for a little while. The natural anti-fungals may help your cause along. Also, Doug's book is called "The Fungus Link", in case there are those looking into it. But you can read the gist of it, as well as read his diet for free on Doug's website. He is not out to make money, just help people. He doesn't sell supplements and such. Just his books if you are interested in reading more what his research has found. He lab actually created the first ELISA tests for food allergy. That's where he became intrigued with fungus.

Also, I was never found to be positive for candida either. I had all the tests. I had to experiment with it to realize I had a problem. Candida may, or may not be your issue. You really won't know until you experiment yourself. Candida can cause bloating, C, D, GERD. Is it the cause of yours?- Dunno.

#332859 - 07/20/08 08:12 AM
GaGa

Thanks for the reply and information. Sorry about the book title... I have soooooooo many! :-) Always looking, always searching. You're right about Doug, he has never seemed to be a self-serving man. I hate that we don't get his program on TV anymore - I loved all the discussions. And, isn't it interesting that he says he used to have severe back problems until he eliminated all the yeast/sugar items, and now only has them when he eats his mother's homemade chocolate at Christmas??? I'm going to try and go back on the anti-fungal diet - my main problem is the protein, just can't handle much meat and am allergic to eggs - only can eat occasionally, don't tolerate soy well. My basic diet was brown rice, green beans and chicken w/ sm. amnt. of EVO. Do you think using Splenda is OK??? But, I'm going to try, I've got to get better before another school year like last year...And, I'm tired of waking up with thrush, etc....
Thanks, again. Blessings!

--------------------

#332861 - 07/20/08 08:21 AM
kim123

GaGa- personally I'd stay away from all artificial sweeteners, like Splenda. Lots of controversy out there over it, and even if half of what they say is true, I'd stay away from it. For me it causes major gastro problems. You can still watch Doug's show daily on his website. Click on TV show link to watch it.

GaGa-Are you a teacher? I teach 5th grade here in FL. How was your mini cruise?

#332863 - 07/20/08 10:25 AM
GaGa

I'll try, I wish I could find a good alternative to Splenda.. Like I said, Stevia is just too bitter. And, I'm a little afraid of Xylitol since there are indications it can also cause stomach distress. Maybe just a little natural/pure/organic cane sugar??
Thanks for the information about Doug... I was just on his website. I guess it seems like I live here at the computer, but this is my "relaxation"
I work in the Guidance Department of an Alternative School -LOVE it, and this is my 18th year... but STRESS!!

--------------------

#332869 - 07/20/08 02:47 PM
fancymom

You may be able to tolerate Splenda, but I have tried it, and I know I definitely cannot! I use stevia. I really like it. There are different kinds of stevia. The "sweet leaf" is pretty bitter. I use the "NuStevia." It really good, MUCH less bitter aftertaste than the sweet leaf.

I think I'm gonna stick to the no yeast, no sugar for now. I feel the best when I don't eat sugar OR yeast. Have you girls read the book "Get the Sugar Out?" It's awesome!! It's got excellent tips and recipes.

I'm like you, GaGa...if I eat TOO much meat, I get even MORE C!! And bloated - WHEW!

--------------------
FancyMom

#332875 - 07/20/08 03:18 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

The message of the Junkfood Science article I quoted is that no type of calorie-cutting regimen seems to get weight off and keep it off over the long term. The people who followed any of the diets studied and stayed on it for the whole two years lost weight initially and then started putting it back on even though they were - as far as anyone could tell - still being faithful to the program. The author attributes this to everyone having a natural weight which the body works very hard to maintain (what used to be called the "setpoint" theory). She seems to think there is a setpoint weight which is basically genetically determined and your body will lower its metabolic rate as you decrease calories in order to stay at your setpoint.

I think that view of the setpoint weight is too simplistic. Several years ago the theory was that we were all born with a setpoint weight but that it was possible to increase that setpoint by overeating enough to gain significant weight. In other words, I might have been born with a setpoint weight of 125 but as I overate and gained weight I drove my setpoint up. The problem, of course, is that once the setpoint goes up getting your weight below that setpoint weight is extremely difficult - your body will do almost anything to hold onto that weight.

I think there's a lot of truth to this but I think there's a missing part of the puzzle - why people eat more than their setpoint weight requires in the first place. Let's say you're a young woman who is 5 foot 5 inches tall and weighs 130 pounds. That's a perfectly healthy weight for that height but considered too heavy cosmetically. So you start dieting to lose weight. I think that if 130 is your setpoint weight you cause your body to panic when you starve yourself to go below it. That means your body fights to hang onto the weight and fights to make you eat more. The more you diet, the more your body wants to pack on weight. Eventually the struggle totally destroys your body's natural sense of what it should weigh and how much it should eat. So you eat based on the situation or on sight of food cues or out of boredom or for a million reasons other than because your body needs fuel to maintain what should have been your normal weight.

If I'm right then what this means is that the more we harangue our children about their weight and the more we deform their eating patterns out of fear of their getting fat, the more we may be setting them up for the very fate we fear they'll suffer. I'm not saying children should eat junk food 24/7 but making kids scared of food and of body fat probably isn't any better an idea physically than it is emotionally. And this can be a very serious problem for girls and young women who are often subjected to incredibly unrealistic expectations.

Exercise is probably the key to regaining and maintaining a healthy weight for most people. I can't find a link but somewhere out there is a program that tracks people who have lost a significant amount of weight (enough so they were considered clinically obese at their heaviest) and kept it off for at least two years (I think that's the criterion). Based on an article I read a few years ago the people being tracked used a bunch of different "diet" plans but the one thing they all had in common was exercise - they all exercised for at least an hour a day. If you believe in the setpoint theory this makes sense since the claim was always that the one thing that could truly re-adjust your metabolic rate was exercise.

So you may be right that losing weight requires a lifestyle change but just eating fewer calories or calories from different sources may very well not do it over the long run - if you have a real weight problem you have to add exercise to the mix. And not knowing that just makes people who try to lose weight strictly through a calorie restricted diet and fail feel worse and worse about themselves for no good reason.

This got really long but the general attitude toward obesity and weight loss drives me nuts. Of course it takes individual effort to lose weight. But when study after study indicates that no matter what weight loss program people try 98% of them cannot achieve and maintain a significant weight loss then there's more to the picture than just weak-willed gluttons who can't control themselves.

(Oh, and as for feeding cattle grain and antibiotics to fatten them up, my understanding is that the antibiotics are to prevent infections that can interfere with getting the cattle ready for market. As for grain, cattle are fed that to fatten up because letting them graze on grass means they're also getting exercise which slows their weight gain - sort of like when humans had to work to get their food. Cattle raisers used to feed cattle meat products to fatten them up (how gross is that). They don't do so now because that's considered the cause of the Mad Cow epidemic in England.)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#332877 - 07/20/08 03:29 PM
GaGa

They feed cattle and poultry antibiotics and grains to make them grow faster, i.e. get them to market faster - a quick turnaround = more money. As a result, we suffer when we eat these foods because of what they ate. It's not just antibiotics, it's hormones to make them grow faster too. That's why you see young girls physically maturing and going through puberty earlier -or that's the opinion of many in the medical and alternative medicine community.
I don't know your age or where you are from, but I grew up in Arkansas and spent time on ranches/farms. In my parents' generation and part of mine, the animals roamed free, ate grass, chickens ate worms, etc... As I became an adult, you saw acres of chicken houses, where they just stayed inside all and and were more or less, force-fed, same for cattle and hogs. Not a pretty site. That's why nutritionists/naturapaths are recommending, cage-free/free-range/organic eggs and chickens and grass-fed beef.
Sorry... I just lived through it and saw it first hand. We have so many things to consider these days - makes me feel very old! I have to remind myself "Dorothy, you're not in Kansas anymore" - reality check!

--------------------

#332880 - 07/20/08 03:50 PM
kim123

Quote:

(Oh, and as for feeding cattle grain and antibiotics to fatten them up, my understanding is that the antibiotics are to prevent infections that can interfere with getting the cattle ready for market.

As well, farmers purposely feed cattle antibiotics to fatten them up..... "Meanwhile, three studies published in the Oct. 18, 2001, issue of The New England Journal of Medicine verified that antibiotic-resistant bacteria are widespread in commercial meats and poultry in the United States and also are found in consumers' intestines. The studies show evidence that the routine use of antibiotics to enhance growth in farm animals can encourage the growth of drug-resistant bacteria..." How disgusting is that?....that we are ingesting the antibiotics from the meat we eat!

Sand- that's my point exactly. There is more to the picture than "weak-willed gluttons". There is such a buzz these days about today's children being overweight. Well, I think it is because if antibiotics and grains can fatten cattle, what is it doing to our children?-or to us? BTW-What is the predominant food being advertised to children on a Sat. morning while watching cartoons? If you said cereal (Lucky Charms, Froot Loops, etc.) you'd be correct! If we get rid of the bad yeast in our body that antibiotics have allowed to proliferate, and limit our grains which feed the yeast, would we find a slimmer America? Would be an interesting study.

#332882 - 07/20/08 04:59 PM
fancymom

Wow, Sand. That was a very interesting post!! You make a lot of really good points! I agree completely...now, I just need someone to come over to my house every day and KICK MY BUTT into doing some exercise!!

--------------------
FancyMom

#332883 - 07/20/08 05:01 PM
fancymom

Ok. That is really gross!! But what a great point! If organic meats weren't so darn EXPENSIVE, I would buy them all the time!! Any ideas on how we can save money and still buy organic?

--------------------
FancyMom

#332885 - 07/20/08 05:08 PM
fancymom

You know GaGa, I really wish it were like it was 50 years ago!! When people weren't so SICK, and obese. It's not like people WANT to be obese! I feel sorry for them...really. But what's worse is that they feel the only way out of being so overweight is through surgery! That is scary. My husband and I always watch The Biggest Loser. It is such an inspiring show. I love that those people not only lose weight on the show, and their self-esteem goes through the roof, but their medical problems disappear!! It's amazing how obesity alone can cause you to be so sick!

Anyway, I do always buy cage free/free range eggs, but usually buy store brand chicken. I guess that kind-of defeats the purpose of buying organic eggs, huh?

--------------------
FancyMom

adaptation new
      #332895 - 07/20/08 07:58 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

There are ways to eat a safe IBS diet and still eat less carbs and specifically less simple carbs. So for you I would say to focus on fruits and veggies but eat the ones that are safer. For instance, there are SF fruits and veggies that are pretty low in calories. Center your diet around these. Examples: mushrooms, summer squash, carrots, sweet potatoes (some cals but a great sugar substitute), mangoes, avocadoes, bananas, artchoke hearts, etc. Then work in the easier IF veggies like spinach, cooked peas and green beans, etc. A great low cal breakfast would be an egg white omelet with mushrooms and spinach; throw in acacia if needed. I eat a lot of cooked baby carrots, with ginger and honey, for a light 'meal'. For me it isn't so much the carbs as the sugar that is the problem. HFI does not have to be labeled a diet that is prone to weight gain or loss! It is so flexible and can be adapted to either. I have lost and gained weight on it.
My notion on bloating is that it is less what we eat and more how we eat and how our bodies function. I have never found a 'diet' that doesn't make me bloat in the long run.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: adaptation new
      #332910 - 07/21/08 08:37 AM
Zara

Kim, thanks, that's what I'm trying to do now - combining EFI guidelines with no yeast, and low sugar and wheat. We'll see what happens .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#332915 - 07/21/08 10:06 AM
fancymom

Better than getting rid of carbs - get rid of SUGAR!! You will feel 110% better!!!!!

--------------------
FancyMom

#332919 - 07/21/08 10:52 AM
Zara

I wish it wasn't so hard, that white stuff is so addictive ! But I'm trying to do my best !

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#332923 - 07/21/08 12:03 PM
fancymom

Yes, you are definitely right...it is VERY hard to give it up!!

--------------------
FancyMom

totally! new
      #332950 - 07/21/08 05:20 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I have tried on and off to give up sugar. I did it once for two weeks and felt great and since have not been able to. I don't know why I could then. It is so hard! Even if I try to sub sweet fruits and veggies I still crave chocolate and anything sweet!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: totally! new
      #332971 - 07/21/08 10:08 PM
Zara

Quote:

Even if I try to sub sweet fruits and veggies I still crave chocolate and anything sweet!

I'm so with you! I love fruit but the best combination for my taste buds is sugar+high fat, such as chocolate, rich desserts...

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Spelt new
      #332973 - 07/22/08 06:32 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Zara, how do you do with spelt? It's not gluten free. Are you just sticking to wheat free now a days? What other non-wheat but gluten foods have you tried? Any problems?

French Meadows makes a yeast free spelt bread and bagels. web page You may be able to tolerate the sprouted breads too..like Ezekiel since there is no flour and no yeast!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: totally! new
      #332982 - 07/22/08 10:07 AM
fancymom

Well, YEAH! Don't we all love those wonderfully delicious things...I just feel MISERABLE afterwards.

Actually, if you just cheat once or twice a month you don't feel as bad as if you eat it EVERY day!! I was definitely in the EVERY DAY category. Once I start, I just can't stop!!

--------------------
FancyMom

Re: Spelt new
      #332989 - 07/22/08 10:21 AM
Zara

Jordy, I haven't made the spelt bread yet. I'm not even doing wheat-free, just low-wheat and low-sugar. I've been completely gluten free before and didn't dramatically improve (and I had all the tests) so I don't think gluten is my problem. So I'll just try this low- thing and see how it goes.

How have you been?

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#333053 - 07/22/08 11:11 PM
Zara

I decided to go almost cold-turkey on sugar (previous days I still had a bit of IBS-safe brownies, etc.). I think I have to do that if I want to see success . I'll let you know how it goes! I did have a little bit of sugar in my coffee substitute this morning but that's it !

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#333071 - 07/23/08 09:21 AM
Jordy

What kind of coffee substitute do you drink?

--------------------

#333072 - 07/23/08 09:23 AM
Jordy

Quote:

I've been completely gluten free before and didn't dramatically improve

Same here...but I continue to eat GF "just in case". I'm so scared not to. Since I have gluten antibodies.....but the diet doesn't seem to help.

I've been the exact same as usual...C and bloat. I hate this so much. I don't know what the answer is for me...or if I ever will.

--------------------

#333136 - 07/23/08 09:11 PM
Zara

I drink Caro but I don't think it's available in the US since I never found it there and had to bring it with me every time I went to EU.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#333154 - 07/24/08 06:20 AM
Jordy

The barley (gluten) would make it a no go for me anyhow. I hate being GF. I wish I could just forget about it!

--------------------

#333157 - 07/24/08 08:03 AM
LeslieS

Reged: 07/24/08

I am having a similar problem - not only concerned about weight gain, but about candida/yeast infections, insulin resistance and interstitial cystitis that seem to go together. How do we eat the food items to stabalize our digestive system and yet prevent the other medical conditions that I listed pre-diabetes, yeast and bladder conditions. My stomach stabalized when eating white rice, bread and plain potatoes but the yeast infection popped up again, they another treatment of diflucan, pro-biotics, etc. .it's a frustrating cycle of health issues. I've read other books that relate IBS to yeast problems. It's very confusing as they suggest no white products at all. Any insight would be very helpful. I'm only 2 months into IBS and it's been very difficult with my other health issues.

#333159 - 07/24/08 08:47 AM
GaGa

I wish I could tell you a magic cure, as I've been going through this for years myself - the IBS diet helps my stomach, but then the yeast appears and causes the swelling/bloating and constipation. I'm going to try the probiotic Align others have suggested. And, I'm trying to do very little yeast products and almost zero sugar. One thing about the Int. Cys. (yep, diagnosed with that too) - my dr. told me about a lady who was cured just by not eating vegetables from the nightshade family...i.e. tomatoes, eggplant - investigate the others. So, I've stayed away from them and am much better. It's been awhile since I've even had a UTI, whereas my dr. used to say she could have papered the room with all my urinalysis dipsticks! :-) There are answers - we just have to keep reading, searching, and helping each other...Hugs & Prayers - Dorothy

--------------------

#333172 - 07/24/08 02:13 PM
kim123

Leslie- Sounds like you've figured out what seems to bother you. That's a start, anyway. Since you like bread, what about eating bread that is yeast-free? Depending on where you live, I realize that may be harder to do than if you live somewhere where there are many health food stores or grocery stores that provide such items. For me, I eat yeast-free, no matter what, and limit my grains to millet/flax bread or white or wheat yeast free tortilla bread, and try not to eat foods with sugar(or versions of) listed in the first 3 ingredients. I find that helps me a lot. I can still eat from many choices of veggies, meat, fish, poultry, eggs, cheese, yogurt and choice fruits that I can tolerate. I think the key is to try to reduce the intake of processed foods and try to eat more whole, natural foods. There are way too many preservatives and chemicals in the processed foods that I don't think our bodies were designed to eat. My thinking is if I don't bring in into my house, I can't eat it when the urges hit. Of course, I still need to treat myself now and then. Potato chips are my weakness.

Do you still take probiotics daily, even without the yeast infections?

#333286 - 07/26/08 03:17 PM
redwriter1

Reged: 07/26/08

I can't believe noone on this board is using the SCD diet.!

I've had my son on it for 10 days and he's 100% better.
Diagnosed Ulcertive Colitis 1 month ago. I highly recommend it as do 1,000's of others. You have to stay away from complex carbs.......... your colon is in no shape to be able to digest something like that.

#333291 - 07/26/08 11:16 PM
Zara

redwriter, this board is dedicated to the Eating for IBS diet outlined by Heather von Vorous. Therefore most people stick to it with some variations. But trust me, many of us have tried different dietary approaches as well. I personally have tried the SCD but felt worse than ever, that's why I didn't stick to it. I'm really glad it's working for your son though ! Unfortunately, everyone's GI tract is different so what works for one might cause more harm and discomfort to another. I guess otherwise it'd be too easy !

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: What is the SCD Diet???? new
      #333294 - 07/27/08 05:12 AM
fancymom

Please explain. Never heard of this...

--------------------
FancyMom

#333298 - 07/27/08 05:23 AM
Fen

It's the "Specific Carbohydrate Diet." Google that or "Breaking the Vicious Cycle."

I've looked into it in the past, but personally I just don't believe anyone anymore when they claim they've found the "perfect" diet that will help "everyone" feel better. There is no such thing. Our body chemistries and digestive systems are all so very different that there is not one single perfect diet. Many people function well on a vegetarian diet, but there are many others who feel they need meat. Some do better on high carbohydrate diets, some feel better on low carbohydrate diets. Some of us need high SF, some need high IF.

My new attitude towards food is that I'm eating everything and anything, as long as I know it doesn't bother my bladder (many acidic and/or spicy foods cause me bladder pain and frequent urination - and it's not fun waking up 6 times a night to pee!). Aside from those foods, I'm eating whatever the heck I want. Because if I'm going to be bloated, I'm going to eat healthy foods, not white flour and sugary junk. In the past week or so I've eaten things I haven't eaten in months or years, including yogurt and cheese, potato chips , whole wheat bread, and salad. And you know what? I'm no worse than I was before. I actually think I'm feeling better. So while some of the EFI principles are definitely true for me (I personally can't tolerate caffeine, alcohol, red meat or fried foods) the diet in its entirety doesn't work for me.

It would be nice if someone could just hand us a dietary prescription we could follow and automatically feel better, but it just doesn't work that way. Unfortunately it's quite a lot of trial and error and figuring out what works for us personally .

--------------------
IBS-C

#333304 - 07/27/08 05:40 AM
fancymom

Hey - I hear ya, girlfriend!! Sometimes I really think that as long as I stay away from my "trigger" foods that I KNOW are going to kill me, like red meat, fried foods, dairy and caffeine...I feel just as good as I do when I am stressing over every morcel I put in my mouth!!

Besides, I get so darn tired of being the CONSTANT diet detective. Worrying about everything I eat. It gets SOOOOO exhausting!! I think that triggers me as much as a hamburger!

--------------------
FancyMom

#333306 - 07/27/08 06:07 AM
Fen

You know what other change I made this week? I started buying pants one size larger. Not because my pants were too small (really), but because even slight pressure from the waistband when I sit down bothers me. This is probably a combination of my guts as well as my bladder, but it seems to be helping! It was really really hard to buy the bigger size, but between wearing my pants super loose and not worrying about what I eat so much, I felt GREAT this week! Seriously! The only time I felt a little sick was when I overdid it on potato chips - my weakness, and one that I haven't allowed myself in a loooong time. And it wasn't even awful - I just felt really really full and couldn't eat dinner that night. Not the worst thing in the world, since I consumed a bunch of calories in the form of potato chips!

I think we just need to really tune in and listen to our bodies. If we're gassy and bloated and uncomfortable, our bodies are screaming at us that something is wrong.

Others may disagree with me here, but I just don't buy that our bowels are "irritable" for no reason. If I'm irritable, there's certainly a reason for it - I'm tired, I'm hungry, I had a negative interaction with my mother. Similarly, I think our bowels are irritable because we eat too much junk food or because we don't take the time to empty them properly or we don't drink enough water or whatever. We need to figure out the nuances behind our own bodies.

--------------------
IBS-C

#333310 - 07/27/08 07:16 AM
Zara

fancymom - SCD is basically eating only certain carbs (fruits, veggies, and honey for a sweetener), meat, eggs, nuts and seeds, and homemade, well-fermented yogurt. You can get almond flour and make breads and cakes that you sweeten with honey. This diet was designed by Elaine Gottschal whose daughter suffered a bad case of ulcerative collitis. After having started this diet she got better and eventually was able to add some things back into her diet.

The diet itself sounds actually pretty healthy but it's not for everyone. My gut was going nuts because of all that IF contained in fruits and veggies without any grains, potatoes, etc. So I stopped it after about a week because I was in so much pain (and bloated) that I thought my intestines were about to burst open.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#333311 - 07/27/08 07:23 AM
Zara

Fen, I've been doing the loose pants thing for years. I buy them so that they're loose around my waist (or under my waist since I wear low-rise) but "tight" enough so that they don't fall off my hips. A belt is my friend. So many times I've come to work in the morning with my belt keeping my pants from falling down, and then carrying the same belt in my bag back home at night .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#333315 - 07/27/08 08:14 AM
GaGa

Fen,
I'm with you and Fancymom...I just don't have a clue anymore. Like you, I have to watch out for food for my bladder, then watch out food for diverticulosis, then watch out what I eat that causes yeast and of course the ominous IBS... I'm just sick and tired of being "sick and tired"!
Had a fairly good week, went out for breakfast buffet and ate "no-nos" cheese grits (light cheese), egg beaters, soft-fried shredded potatoes (light oil) and sausage gravy + I drank a Sprite! Within 30 minutes I thought I was going to pass out from the swelling/bloating and pain - felt I needed to go, but couldn't, then when I did - hems and blood, which still scares the crap out of me. Spent the rest of the day and night in bed with my best friend - my heating pad! Finally had normal BM, but still the hem. pain and gut aching. Today, better, but still bloated & a mouth full of thrush - scared to eat anything. And, guess I'm crazy, just scared to take any other fiber, stool softeners, laxatives because of past experiences with cramping. Long time ago I used to take FiberCon - can you take that and a stool softener? But even some "so called" stool softeners have caused cramping!
So, thanks for allowing me to vent - right now, I'm just clueless and confused and ticked! I think, as long as I don't eat fried or spicy foods, I'll just eat whatever!!!! Bagels and applesauce are my friend, but they cause "C"... Whatever!

--------------------

Edited by GaGa (07/27/08 08:16 AM)

Re: Ladies,listen up! new
      #333316 - 07/27/08 09:21 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

I'm with you all on the eat whatever cause I'm going to feel like crap anyway train but....Yesterday I started taking my slippery elm tablets ..two three times a day and my acidophilous tablets.Again two every meal.
Yesterday was the first day in about two weeks I felt good.Not super duper but no gas, no bloating and no pain.I woke up in the morning with pain gas and d and decided to do something about it.So I did.
This morning I have a bit of gas but I think that is hormonal and I ate french toast dripping in syrup.That was two hours ago and I feel ok now.I even ate some chocolate a few minutes ago.

If you haven't tried slipery elm you really should.I am not sure if acidophilous is a probiotic but I started using it years ago when this all started and it did me wonders.I don't know why I stopped using itmust have been one of those retarded moments eh fancymom.lol
Anyway good luck to you gals I hope you try this and I hope it helps.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#333328 - 07/27/08 01:43 PM
Jordy

Quote:

, I'm eating whatever the heck I want. Because if I'm going to be bloated, I'm going to eat healthy foods, not white flour and sugary junk. In the past week or so I've eaten things I haven't eaten in months or years, including yogurt and cheese, potato chips , whole wheat bread, and salad. And you know what? I'm no worse than I was before. I actually think I'm feeling better. So while some of the EFI principles are definitely true for me (I personally can't tolerate caffeine, alcohol, red meat or fried foods) the diet in its entirety doesn't work for me.

You're my hero! Good luck with this approach. Keep us updated on how you do. I am so impressed with, Zara. This is exactly what my doctor wants me to do, as I have lost so much wait being "afraid" of so many foods, now. How did you break free of the rigid thinking?

--------------------

#333329 - 07/27/08 01:46 PM
Jordy

Quote:

Besides, I get so darn tired of being the CONSTANT diet detective. Worrying about everything I eat. It gets SOOOOO exhausting!! I think that triggers me as much as a hamburger!

totally. I am so obsessed with reading labels and fearing eating anything I, personally, have not made because there may be something in it I would fear.

--------------------

#333331 - 07/27/08 01:54 PM
Zara

Dear Jordy, I think you got the names mixed up. The brave soul was Fen, not me ! I wish I could get into that mindset and somehow also convince my body not to get sick, lol! But I have been trying to work on this approach because I seem to get sick no matter what I eat (or don't eat). I'm afraid that I will spend the majority of my life avoiding foods I like and yet I won't get any relief. I feel like I'm missing out! I'm not talking about going on a McDonald's spree but being able to have a huge Greek salad with feta cheese, delicious crunchy whole wheat rolls, etc. I really wish I could eat these one day!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Whoops new
      #333334 - 07/27/08 02:04 PM
Jordy

Well, you can be my hero in the fact that you are so on the same mindset as me.

Fen, I guess you are the brave soul!!!

--------------------

Kim new
      #333335 - 07/27/08 02:07 PM
Jordy

You have IBS and are able to eat this way?

--------------------

#333338 - 07/27/08 02:36 PM
kim123

Yes! If I veer from this too much, then I have problems. Yeast and sugar are huge culprits for me. Everyone is different though, and should follow what works for them. If you keep doing what you are doing, you'll always get the same results. Change may be necessary. The hard part is knowing just what the changes should be.

Re: Whoops new
      #333347 - 07/27/08 04:40 PM
Fen

Quote:

Well, you can be my hero in the fact that you are so on the same mindset as me.

Fen, I guess you are the brave soul!!!

Ha ha - this made me laugh out loud because I got a little too brave. Or cocky. I ate some ice cream! I haven't eaten any in years! So I'm a bit bloated now (though still not as bad as I was in the recent past!) and to make matters worse, it was cherry ice cream so I've been peeing every 40 minutes!

I should mention that one of the reasons I've been feeling braver lately is that I started taking Align about 6 weeks ago and 5 weeks in or so, I really started to notice an honest-to-god improvement. And it's not psychosomatic, because I really didn't think the Align would work any better than any other probiotic.

I was on vacation from work last week too. Tomorrow is back to the daily grind, so we'll see how my stomach holds up then.

THe one thing I've found with the Align is that I still get gassy after I eat and I still get a bit bloated, but instead of getting trapped and making my belly bigger and bigger and bigger, I'm now able to pass a little gas and the bloating disappears.

I'd encourage anyone who hasn't tried Align to do so - for me it was well worth the price!

--------------------
IBS-C

Thanks for the tip on align! new
      #333393 - 07/28/08 08:11 AM
Jordy

Where to you buy it?

--------------------

Re: Thanks for the tip on align! new
      #333408 - 07/28/08 08:46 AM
Fen

My doctor gave me a few weeks worth of samples to try, then I ordered it online at www.aligngi.com. Some pharmacies stock it as well, so you can check there as well. It is not carried in drugstores.

--------------------
IBS-C

#333412 - 07/28/08 08:59 AM
Zara

Usually pharmacies can order it for you so that way you don't have to pay S&H. I got it through Target so try calling them if you have one nearby.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#333458 - 07/28/08 02:01 PM
Fen

You actually don't pay shipping if you order from the website either. I'm not sure if there's a cost difference between the pharmacy and the website.

--------------------
IBS-C

#333482 - 07/28/08 10:12 PM
Zara

I think the cost is the same (it was when I bought it last year). The good thing about pharmacy was that it was there ready to be picked up the next day.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

wait.... new
      #333537 - 07/29/08 01:37 PM
Jordy

in the LR, didn't you say it didn't help? I'm confused. Sorry.

--------------------

Re: wait.... new
      #333547 - 07/29/08 02:46 PM
Fen

No, you're right to be confused. My fault.

I really really did think that it was helping, but I was on vacation last week. Ever since I've been home and especially back at work, my bloating has been worse than ever.

So I really think it was more about being on vacation than it was about the Align. I probably will not purchase another box.

--------------------
IBS-C

#333551 - 07/29/08 03:21 PM
giveluv2all

Reged: 07/11/08
Loc: Nj

I've been buying my align through drugstore.com and they send it every month automatically if you like. They have been good to work with and give 5% cash back.

#333554 - 07/29/08 05:46 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Is align a brand name ? I use Acidophilus from Jamieson Laboratories.
It says its 5 billion active cells

How often do you take it?

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#333555 - 07/29/08 05:51 PM
Fen

Align is the brand name. Here is the website with info about Align. The probiotic strain is Bifantis, which they've studied and has been proven to help IBS. Unfortunately (for me, anyway), I think it maybe works better for D than C - so potentially perfect for you! You take one pill per day.

I have found probiotics to be helpful in that I feel I don't get sick as often anymore, now that I've been taking them consistently for awhile. And maybe my bloating would be worse without them, who knows? But I definitely still struggle greatly with C, bloating, and gas.

--------------------
IBS-C

Which... new
      #333598 - 07/30/08 10:16 AM
Jordy

probiotic are you gonna try next if since you are unsure of the align? Any suggestions?

--------------------

Re: Which... new
      #333599 - 07/30/08 10:20 AM
Fen

I think I'll probably go back to my Udo's Choice. I used to take the Super Bifido Plus - it is supposed to have 70 billion active cells.

I've obviously never been 100% (or I wouldn't be on this board all of the time!!) but I probably found the most relief on the Udo's. If anyone has any other recommendations, I'm open to them as well!

--------------------
IBS-C

P.S. new
      #333600 - 07/30/08 10:21 AM
Fen

I've found with the Udo's that if I take it before breakfast, it's more likely to help me poop. If I take it after I eat it does absolutely nothing.

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 574 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 58162

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review