All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Re: Spelt new
      #333136 - 07/23/08 09:11 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I drink Caro but I don't think it's available in the US since I never found it there and had to bring it with me every time I went to EU.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Spelt new
      #333154 - 07/24/08 06:20 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

The barley (gluten) would make it a no go for me anyhow. I hate being GF. I wish I could just forget about it!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Help! Not handling carbs well! new
      #333157 - 07/24/08 08:03 AM
LeslieS

Reged: 07/24/08

I am having a similar problem - not only concerned about weight gain, but about candida/yeast infections, insulin resistance and interstitial cystitis that seem to go together. How do we eat the food items to stabalize our digestive system and yet prevent the other medical conditions that I listed pre-diabetes, yeast and bladder conditions. My stomach stabalized when eating white rice, bread and plain potatoes but the yeast infection popped up again, they another treatment of diflucan, pro-biotics, etc. .it's a frustrating cycle of health issues. I've read other books that relate IBS to yeast problems. It's very confusing as they suggest no white products at all. Any insight would be very helpful. I'm only 2 months into IBS and it's been very difficult with my other health issues.

#333159 - 07/24/08 08:47 AM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

I wish I could tell you a magic cure, as I've been going through this for years myself - the IBS diet helps my stomach, but then the yeast appears and causes the swelling/bloating and constipation. I'm going to try the probiotic Align others have suggested. And, I'm trying to do very little yeast products and almost zero sugar. One thing about the Int. Cys. (yep, diagnosed with that too) - my dr. told me about a lady who was cured just by not eating vegetables from the nightshade family...i.e. tomatoes, eggplant - investigate the others. So, I've stayed away from them and am much better. It's been awhile since I've even had a UTI, whereas my dr. used to say she could have papered the room with all my urinalysis dipsticks! :-) There are answers - we just have to keep reading, searching, and helping each other...Hugs & Prayers - Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#333172 - 07/24/08 02:13 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Leslie- Sounds like you've figured out what seems to bother you. That's a start, anyway. Since you like bread, what about eating bread that is yeast-free? Depending on where you live, I realize that may be harder to do than if you live somewhere where there are many health food stores or grocery stores that provide such items. For me, I eat yeast-free, no matter what, and limit my grains to millet/flax bread or white or wheat yeast free tortilla bread, and try not to eat foods with sugar(or versions of) listed in the first 3 ingredients. I find that helps me a lot. I can still eat from many choices of veggies, meat, fish, poultry, eggs, cheese, yogurt and choice fruits that I can tolerate. I think the key is to try to reduce the intake of processed foods and try to eat more whole, natural foods. There are way too many preservatives and chemicals in the processed foods that I don't think our bodies were designed to eat. My thinking is if I don't bring in into my house, I can't eat it when the urges hit. Of course, I still need to treat myself now and then. Potato chips are my weakness.

Do you still take probiotics daily, even without the yeast infections?

#333286 - 07/26/08 03:17 PM
redwriter1

Reged: 07/26/08

I can't believe noone on this board is using the SCD diet.!

I've had my son on it for 10 days and he's 100% better.
Diagnosed Ulcertive Colitis 1 month ago. I highly recommend it as do 1,000's of others. You have to stay away from complex carbs.......... your colon is in no shape to be able to digest something like that.

#333291 - 07/26/08 11:16 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

redwriter, this board is dedicated to the Eating for IBS diet outlined by Heather von Vorous. Therefore most people stick to it with some variations. But trust me, many of us have tried different dietary approaches as well. I personally have tried the SCD but felt worse than ever, that's why I didn't stick to it. I'm really glad it's working for your son though ! Unfortunately, everyone's GI tract is different so what works for one might cause more harm and discomfort to another. I guess otherwise it'd be too easy !

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: What is the SCD Diet???? new
      #333294 - 07/27/08 05:12 AM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

Please explain. Never heard of this...

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

#333298 - 07/27/08 05:23 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

It's the "Specific Carbohydrate Diet." Google that or "Breaking the Vicious Cycle."

I've looked into it in the past, but personally I just don't believe anyone anymore when they claim they've found the "perfect" diet that will help "everyone" feel better. There is no such thing. Our body chemistries and digestive systems are all so very different that there is not one single perfect diet. Many people function well on a vegetarian diet, but there are many others who feel they need meat. Some do better on high carbohydrate diets, some feel better on low carbohydrate diets. Some of us need high SF, some need high IF.

My new attitude towards food is that I'm eating everything and anything, as long as I know it doesn't bother my bladder (many acidic and/or spicy foods cause me bladder pain and frequent urination - and it's not fun waking up 6 times a night to pee!). Aside from those foods, I'm eating whatever the heck I want. Because if I'm going to be bloated, I'm going to eat healthy foods, not white flour and sugary junk. In the past week or so I've eaten things I haven't eaten in months or years, including yogurt and cheese, potato chips , whole wheat bread, and salad. And you know what? I'm no worse than I was before. I actually think I'm feeling better. So while some of the EFI principles are definitely true for me (I personally can't tolerate caffeine, alcohol, red meat or fried foods) the diet in its entirety doesn't work for me.

It would be nice if someone could just hand us a dietary prescription we could follow and automatically feel better, but it just doesn't work that way. Unfortunately it's quite a lot of trial and error and figuring out what works for us personally .

--------------------
IBS-C

#333304 - 07/27/08 05:40 AM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

Hey - I hear ya, girlfriend!! Sometimes I really think that as long as I stay away from my "trigger" foods that I KNOW are going to kill me, like red meat, fried foods, dairy and caffeine...I feel just as good as I do when I am stressing over every morcel I put in my mouth!!

Besides, I get so darn tired of being the CONSTANT diet detective. Worrying about everything I eat. It gets SOOOOO exhausting!! I think that triggers me as much as a hamburger!

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 878 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 58599

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review