Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I'm back ... wheat intolerance question
      #332651 - 07/17/08 10:33 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

Hi everyone,

I haven't been around in ages, but thought of this board and the people here when I learned of something about my symptoms.

I was diagnosed with IBS-C in 2004, with bloating and abdominal pain being my most common symptoms. However, I have at least one BM a day. Mostly it's the bloating/pain that kill me.

Had two kids, both with painful, tummy-related pregnancies. BUT, upon birth of each child, my symptoms went away immediately. Then they came back eight months after the birth of each kid. My daughter (youngest is 16 months old).

I'm starting to have major issues again, along with panic/anxiety related to my kids getting hurt (imagined and real) and my job and all the issues with me wanting to be a SAHM. I'm also a compulsive/over eater, but maintain a weight at the top end of the normal range.

So, I went to see a kineseologist and she tested me as sensitive to wheat. I've been wheat-free since I woke up this morning and feel better at 1:30 (after lunch) than I usually do.

Does anyone have experience with this? What's the difference between wheat intolerance and celiac? I'm off to do some Googling, but would appreciate any feedback you have.

Thanks!

--------------------
~jules

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I'm back ... wheat intolerance question new
      #332660 - 07/17/08 11:11 AM
alisont40

Reged: 07/17/08
Loc: reading, uk

Hi we have two coeliacs in the family and they get really ill if they eat wheat - it is dangerous to eat it as it stops you absorbibg nutrients and attacks the system. Wheat intolerance is equally painful but not dangerous as far as i know and would not show up in a conventional blood test.Hope this helps

Ditto...... new
      #332668 - 07/17/08 12:42 PM
Hapamama

Reged: 05/15/08
Loc: Seattle

Exactly what Alison said, the small intestine can't handle the gluten in celiacs disease and begins to get damaged (it will heal on a strict GF/Vegan diet. AFter it has healed most people are able to tolerate animal products again, but not gluten, ever. People with celiacs are sick a lot w/no apparent reason. Flu-like symptoms I think.

As I mentioned earlier, we are doing better in our family since we removed gluten from our diet.

Re: Ditto...... new
      #332673 - 07/17/08 12:52 PM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I tested negative for celiac when I had my GI work-up several years ago. I'm not allergic to wheat, but I'm starting to think I have an intolerance. I read that to be 100 percent certain, one needs to get something called a Food Challenge, performed in a hospital.

What are symptoms of wheat intolerance? Anyone here have it? Is there a big difference between wheat sensitivity and wheat intolerance?

--------------------
~jules

Re: Ditto...... new
      #332689 - 07/17/08 01:36 PM
Hapamama

Reged: 05/15/08
Loc: Seattle

All I can tell you for sure is our own personal experience. For me, the bloating decreased a lot, my flares decreased, and I just felt better (of course!), less cranky w/my kids and hubby! Same for DS, he couldn't articulate that he wasn't feeling well, but w/in 24 hours of removing gluten we suddenly found ourselves w/a friendly, happy, and more socially motivated child. It was dramatic. DS also tested negative for celiacs - so that's why I'm thinking he may have IBS like me.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 187 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1353

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review