All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Questions re: fructose/lactose breath tests (new, I think)
      #332470 - 07/15/08 05:00 AM
Emily H.

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Luxembourg, LU

Hey all. I haven't posted for a while, but I was hoping for some advice on the breath tests I'm supposed to take. I'm more or less sure I'm fructose intolerant (can't drink fruit juices at all), and not too sure about the lactose, but as I don't eat any dairy I'm not too bothered. My doc has ordered the breath tests, though, so here's the question:

I'm absolutely petrified that taking the lactose/fructose solutions they'll give me will cause an attack - it seems like if I am at all intolerant of either one, even a small amount on a totally empty stomach will be disastrous. The last thing I want to do is a) be stuck running back/forth to the bathroom for the entire length of the 3-hour test, and b) ruin my vacation (which starts the day after the last test) because it'll take me two weeks to get stable again.

Has anyone had the tests on a completely empty stomach/after fasting? Did it cause a bad reaction? Can I just refuse to take them? I'm normally a very cooperative patient, but this time I'm tempted.

Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Questions re: fructose/lactose breath tests (new, I think) new
      #332473 - 07/15/08 07:01 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Why don't you reschdule your tests so if they do mess you up,it won't ruin your vacation.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#332475 - 07/15/08 07:06 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Hi Emily,

I had all three tests (fructose, lactose, SIBO) done (on empty stomach) and none of them caused an attack for me. I did get bloated but it wasn't too bad, nothing like a reaction I'm likely to have from actually eating trigger foods! I tested negative for all of the above, although I know for sure that I cannot tolerate a lot of fructose (can't eat lots of honey, etc.), and I don't eat dairy anyway. With the lactose test, the reason dairy is a trigger for IBS is because of the proteins it contains, not because of the sugar lactose. The solution they give you to drink only contains lactose and not the trigger protein found in regular dairy. So I think it's very likely that you will be just fine during/after these tests. That's my experience anyway.

Good luck, and have fun on your vacation!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#332626 - 07/17/08 07:41 AM
Emily H.

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Luxembourg, LU

Thanks for the advice from both of you! Wish I could reschedule the test, but unfortunately I've got the doc appointment to discuss the results from an entire battery of tests (of which these are two) the day after the fructose test, so probably can't.

I know I'm definitely intolerant to milk proteins, but even before IBS I drank lactose-free milk, so who knows...still considering just cancelling both, since for pete's sake my doc has a baseline breath test, a whole bunch of blood, stool samples (ick), a thyroid scan...enough, it seems to know more or less everything about me.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 299 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1092

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review