All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS and Menopause
      #332217 - 07/10/08 10:21 AM
cate3

Reged: 10/01/07
Loc: Ohio

Has anyone had flare-ups of IBS with the onset of menopause? Within the last 2 years I am battling, and it gets worse the closer I get to the big "M". I was pretty stable throughout my 40's (at least about 90% of the time). I'm about to turn 50 this September and it is driving me crazy.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS and Menopause new
      #332219 - 07/10/08 10:45 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

It would make sense, since IBS can flare up with any hormonal changes - ovulation, menstruation, pregnancy.

Are you on any hormone replacement?

Are you D or C?

--------------------
IBS-C

#332224 - 07/10/08 11:51 AM
cate3

No hormone replacement. I have mostly D but sometimes alternate with C. But even when I don't have D, I have alot of gas. I do take sol. fiber pills (citrucel) and sometimes the peppermint caps. I seems to keep it somewhat controlled, but I cannot eat anything I should't, and stress really sets it off.

#332226 - 07/10/08 12:17 PM
Hapamama

Reged: 05/15/08
Loc: Seattle

I don't know for sure about menopause (yet) but I have noticed now that I'm not on the pill, I do have flares and have to limit my diet in b/t ovulation and my actual period. I agree that it makes sense. Hopefully I still have a few years before I have to deal w/this!

#332234 - 07/10/08 01:26 PM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

I had my last period August, 2005. IBS stuff went into full force January, 2006. I had a hysterectomy Jan, 2008 and the only reason I started HRT was for bone loss because I no longer had ovaries......but at the age of 55 how much estrogen do your ovaries really produce? (My doc has been pushing HRT for a long time and she finally got me in January after hysterectomy) I never suffered hot flashes, etc that comes with menopause. I used to have major bowel issues but am doing much better in that area. My major thing right now is abdominal cramping (sometimes for hours). Just went to GI doc and got a script for Bentyl....hopefully it will work. I looked up the side effects of the HRT I am on and one was abdominal pain? Could it be that easy???? Here is my question for you ladies.....do I go off the HRT for a while and see what happens??? I absolutely CANNOT tell my OBGYN doc....she would automatically put me on something else since she is a firm believer in HRT. And, yes, I really believe that hormones can definitely play a part in IBS. I never had the really bad issues of IBS until menopause. Thanks for any ideas.

#332238 - 07/10/08 01:48 PM
cate3

I have not tried HRT. I would be a little nervous. can you just take calcium to prevent bone loss after menopause, since you don't have hot flashes? I take calcium and it does not cause any IBS symptoms (may even help?)

#332246 - 07/10/08 05:03 PM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

I'm pretty young and nowhere near menopause so I'm not super up to date on the whole HRT debate, but our bodies stop producing estrogen after a certain age. It's natural. It's what's been happening for centuries. Why would your doctor add estrogen back if you're not having any negative side effects?

I'm obviously not a medical professional, but if it were me, I'd try going off of the HRT to see if you experience any relief. Why have to take another prescription to counteract the effects of another prescription you may not need?

Again, just a disclaimer, I'm not aware of all of the ins and outs of HRT. It might be worth talking to another doc...

--------------------
IBS-C

#332250 - 07/10/08 06:05 PM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

Thank you Fen!!! My point exactly....as we age we produce less and less estrogen. Also, as we age we do have some bone loss. It's all about the aging process. She says I need HRT for bone loss (but I'm 55!!!). I have done tons of research on HRT and bone loss and I found out that the HRT MAY help for bone loss while taking it, but once a woman goes off, the bone loss will kind of go to where it will be age appropriate!!! There are also lots of other ways to help with bone loss like walking, weight bearing exercise, calcium supplement with Vitamin D, K and magnesium.

I am very, very skeptical of all of the drugs that mess with the natural aging process. Notice on all the commercials how Osteoporosis is the big thing and the pushing of meds to reverse it??? No thank you....the side effects outweigh the benefits.

And yes, I am looking for a different doc who believes more in a natural approach to stuff. The one I have now had been pushing HRT for quite some time and was rather perturbed with me for not giving in but after the hysterectomy she kind of got to me in the hospital when I wasn't thinking clearly. Since I have never experienced any of the menopausal symtoms I'm going to go off and see if the IBS issues improve at all. Thanks for the input.

#332307 - 07/12/08 05:55 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

I am 58 and went through menopause around 48 to 50. I realize now I have had IBS my entire life (although very mild). It began to get much worse with menopause leading to the actual diagnosis about a year ago. Diet, acacia, etc. have allowed me to get it under control.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3213 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2595

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review