All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Frustrated with dry cereals at the store!
      #331957 - 07/03/08 10:19 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I LOVE eating dry cereal with vanilla rice milk. I have it for my afternoon snack every day. But I'm frustrated with what's available to me. I refuse to buy anything that contains HFCS, so that rules out stuff at the "regular" grocery store like Frosted Flakes or even Rice Krispies. I can't do oats, so that eliminates a bunch, too. Then I go to the HFS, and everything is WHOLE GRAIN, which I obviously can't do.

I'm not fructose-sensitive or anything, I just don't like buying stuff that has HFCS. This week I tried some whole grain buckwheat flakes, and that hasn't given me any problems, and they taste okay - just okay - I have to add quite a bit of sugar, which isn't good! So what cereals do you all buy? I want some Frosted Flakes, but I refuse to give in to the HFCS!!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

wow new
      #331961 - 07/03/08 10:32 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Being you can't do whole wheat or oats that doesn't leave many options. Corn cereals would be the only normal alternative. Corn chex, honeycomb and organic corn flakes along with various sugary but not HFCS kids cereals with a corn base (like cap'n crunch).

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Frustrated with dry cereals at the store! new
      #331963 - 07/03/08 10:39 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

Nature's Path makes the Envirokidz cereals - there is one called Amazon Flakes which is like a less-sweet version of frosted flakes. The only ingredients are corn meal, evaporated cane juice, and sea salt. You can buy it at the HFS.

--------------------
IBS-C

Re: wow new
      #331978 - 07/03/08 04:05 PM
Jenny B

Reged: 03/27/07
Loc: Montana

You should try Puffins Cereals, it is made by Barbara's Bakery. Also, Annie's makes some great cereals too that are perfect for us with IBS. Good luck and I hope you are able to find a new and tasty cereal!

#331989 - 07/04/08 05:49 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Which Puffin's cereal do you eat? Puffin's orginal and Puffin's cinnamon have corn bran and Puffin's honey rice is made from whole grain brown rice which makes them high in IF.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

this is what I'm talking about... new
      #331991 - 07/04/08 06:25 AM
Lisa Marie

Rice cereals at the HFS are almost always made from brown rice, which is IF, which can't be eaten on an empty stomach, right? I did buy some kind of brown rice flakes last weekend that I plan to try. Haven't done it yet, I'm a little nervous.... I tried Puffins one time, but didn't like them. I noticed the Annie's stuff, but they are all made of oats, which give me problems. Boy, do I miss honey nut cheerios....

Ugh!!!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Re: this is what I'm talking about... new
      #331992 - 07/04/08 06:52 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Rice Chex doesn't contain HFCS I believe, but only the brand name, and only the new product (says gluten free on the box).

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Rice is a SF..... new
      #332000 - 07/04/08 12:45 PM
Hapamama

Reged: 05/15/08
Loc: Seattle

so rice and rice products can be consumed on an empty stomach. We like the Panda Puffs and Gorilla Puffs, they are vegan and gluten-free, made from corn I think. We also by a an amaranth flake cereal w/flax seed. I mix that in w/the puffs so that I don't get too much flax, but also get some bulk. HTH

Whole grain brown rice .... new
      #332003 - 07/04/08 01:41 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

contains the husk and the kernel. Like other whole grains it is considered to contain more IF than SF

A 1/2 cup brown rice contains about 1.6 grams IF and 0.2 grams SF while 1/2 cup white rice contains about 0.4 grams IF and 0.2 grams SF. Both contain about 2% or 1.3 grams of resistant starch which acts like an SF. Generally speaking brown rice contains a bit more IF than SF while white rice contains about 3 time more SF than IF.

I cannot eat food containing brown rice.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Thank you, Fen! new
      #332089 - 07/07/08 02:10 PM
Lisa Marie

I'm eating these right now and they are yummy!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Re: Thank you, Fen! new
      #332093 - 07/07/08 04:10 PM
Fen

Anytime - enjoy!

Lisa Marie, I'm interested in how you became stable as an IBS-C (and almost vegan!) And did I read that you can't eat wheat?

I'm also IBS-C and I'm really struggling. I go back and forth as to whether I need a high-fiber diet (per my GI doc) or a low residue diet (per my colo-rectal doc). Either one gives me relief in the short term (a few days) but causes problems in the long term. And I strongly suspect I have a problem with wheat/gluten.

I'd be interested in any feedback you have!

--------------------
IBS-C

agree new
      #332097 - 07/07/08 05:42 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I wouldn't be too put off by things being whole grain. As a rule of thumb if the fiber grams are pretty low I assume there isn't that much IF/graininess in there. Whole oats, corn and rice are often tolerated very well. The soy milk has fiber too. I pretty much always have my cereal with my AM dose of acacia anyway and so I have the buffer that way. Remember too that the grain has been milled well to make it into the cereal and this helps digestion. Eating things whole or raw is much touchier.
Hope this makes sense.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#332123 - 07/08/08 08:27 AM
Lisa Marie

Hi Fen,

No, wheat doesn't give me any problems, it's just whole grains that I have to be really careful with. I can't handle very much. Check out my "success post" here ; that should give you a pretty good explanation of how I stabilized. And keep in mind, it took me a whole year to do it. It wasn't easy, especially in the beginning. Let me know if you have questions after reading that!

Good luck to you! Stabilizing when you're IBS-C can be more difficult, and it takes longer, so you need patience . But believe me, it's all worth it in the end.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#332151 - 07/08/08 06:10 PM
Fen

Thanks for posting that - that is helpful!

One more question for you: how did you work up to 3 Tbsp Acacia a day? What dose did you start at and how did you know when your body was ready to increase? I'm sooooo afraid of making the bloating even worse!

Thanks again!

--------------------
IBS-C

#332173 - 07/09/08 11:12 AM
Jenny B

Reged: 03/27/07
Loc: Montana

I can eat the Puffins Honey Rice and Cinnamon with no problems, but I also mix it with my Activia yogurt and 1 teaspoon of acacia when I eat it for breakfast. I never have any problems with those cereals, or Annie's.

This seems to be the hardest part of IBS, there is no perfect solution that can fix everyone. It has taken almost 2 years now to figure out what foods I can tolerate and what foods I can't, and I am still trying to add more into my diet as the days go by. I know that it is frustrating for everyone, and I understand your cereal frustrations!!! I struggled for a long time trying to find ones that worked. I hope that everyone here will be able to find what works for them. Keep your heads and spirits up and know that everyone is here to support everyone else.

Re: Whole grain brown rice .... new
      #332177 - 07/09/08 01:09 PM
Hapamama

Reged: 05/15/08
Loc: Seattle

Thanks for clarifying Syl! Although I do eat very small portions of brown rice - I am grateful for the abundance of rice products that are SF's i.e. basmati rice, white rice, sticky rice, rice cakes, rice cereals, rice crackers, rice breads etc...I'm thinking of taking out stock in Lundberg Rice cakes we eat so many!

#332196 - 07/09/08 06:39 PM
Lisa Marie

That was a LONG, SLOW process. At first, I increased way too fast and got really bloated, then I gave up. Shell and Heather convinced me to try again, more slowly, and it worked much better. I started with just 1/8th teaspoon twice daily. I spent a week at that dose. Then I spent an entire week increasing by 1/8th teaspoon, so that at the end of the 2nd week I was taking 1/4th teaspoon in the morning and 1/8th teaspoon in the evening. I stayed there for week #3. Then during week #4 I slowly increased my evening dose to 1/4th teaspoon. Then I stayed there for a week. I think you get the picture... it sounds incredibly tedious and time-consuming, but it worked, and it really helps keep my bloating under control. And as a IBS-Cer, you'll need that extra SF to help you add IF into your diet. As you increase your acacia dose, you'll be able to trade some of your SF food for IF food, without increasing calories. Hopefully this all makes sense, let me know if it doesn't!

Good luck!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#332204 - 07/10/08 04:00 AM
Fen

You still mix IF with SF, right? Or are you able to eat, say, a salad now that you're more stable?

--------------------
IBS-C

Fen! new
      #334924 - 08/19/08 06:27 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

have you tried the acacia yet? Do you take any SFS?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Jordy! new
      #334948 - 08/20/08 04:10 AM
Fen

I have tried the Acacia and experienced more bloating. It may have cleared up eventually, I can't say, but I couldn't stand it!

I do take Fibercon at night - it is really the only thing, besides my probiotics, that I feel effectively help me have a bm. My nutritionist feels they are too "harsh," but Heather lists them as a SFS, and says they are safe to take long term. I'm visiting my primary doc in 2 weeks, I plan to ask her about this.

Are you currently taking anything?

--------------------
IBS-C

#334975 - 08/20/08 09:07 AM
IBSrunner

Reged: 07/25/08
Loc: California

I like Puffins and all the environkids (spelling?) cereals! They are so good. I had Gorilla munch this morning and all it has in it is corn meal, cane sugar, and salt I think.

I eat creamy rice in the mornings which is basically brown rice ground up very finely and I do fine with it. So maybe some of you that think you cant eat brown rice could try eating this.

--------------------
IBS-C Gas and constant Bloating

#334977 - 08/20/08 09:13 AM
IBSrunner

hey fen I know I am no expert but I am on acacia and have not experienced any bloating from it so i thought I could let you know what I did. I started taking the equivalent amount that I was taking in fibercon for a few days then I added a 1/2t to 1t depends how I was feeling every four days. You have to be gradual. If you search constipation on the main site it will give you alot of information on being gradual with your sfs. Hope this helps!

--------------------

Re: Jordy! new
      #335022 - 08/20/08 04:02 PM
Jordy

I'm trying fiber35 Acacia...just 2 tsp. Don't think it's helping, but maybe I'm too low a dose...but then again, I'm wary of increasing. I do eat 1 T flaxmeal.

--------------------

#335032 - 08/20/08 04:26 PM
Lisa Marie

Yup, I eat cream of brown rice almost every morning. One of my staples! I was afraid to try it at first, but I have no problems with it.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

n new
      #335149 - 08/22/08 09:12 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

n

Re: Envirokidz new
      #335152 - 08/22/08 11:18 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I love the gorilla puffs! YUM!!!!!

Re: Frustrated with dry cereals at the store! new
      #335157 - 08/22/08 01:12 PM
Jordy

I can't find these...only the gorilla munch and the pb puffs.

--------------------

#335188 - 08/24/08 08:08 AM
IBSrunner

for C you are definitly going to have to increase your dosage. Just do it slowly and youll be fine. You are probably going to have to get up to 4 or 5T before you feel stable.

--------------------

#335241 - 08/25/08 07:49 AM
Jordy

I'm scared. My past experiences with SFS have been disasterous.

--------------------

#335250 - 08/25/08 09:21 AM
Lisa Marie

Acacia is different. Just go SLOWLY! More slowly than you think you need to.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 152 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14152

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review