All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Cross-reactivity (allergy)as trigger
      #331517 - 06/24/08 01:02 PM
Fia

Reged: 07/21/03
Loc: Sweden

Has anyone heard of Cross-reactivity (The immune system may react to foods or plants in the same botanical family. For example a person allergic to birch pollen will often get symptoms from eating fresh apples, tomatoes and other fruits.) as a trigger for IBS. I have a feeling that i get worse a few weeks every spring and I did some research on the internet. I found one study that concluded that people with pollen allegy got IBS like symtoms when eating fruits/vegetables known to cross react with pollen.

What do you think? Am I on to something?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Cross-reactivity (allergy)as trigger new
      #331519 - 06/24/08 01:37 PM
goodcop1

Reged: 08/02/05
Loc: Hilton Head South Carolina

I get sick during pllen season bit I think its the increase in mucus that causes me to get ill. I am trying to increase my fluid levels to offset all that mucus as well as taking claritin or any allergy medicin. But who knows cross ractivity, hmmm.

--------------------
"Thru Him with Him and in Him".

#331687 - 06/28/08 10:17 AM
Fia

Well, I've got a doctors appointment to do allergy tests in two weeks so now I'll just have to wait and see. And I found this;

"Study Reveals Link Between Allergies and Irritable Bowel Syndrome"
at http://www.rush.edu/rumc/page-1209563804017.html

#331693 - 06/28/08 03:18 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Thank you for the reference. I read the original paper. It is quite interesting.

This research suggests there might be a link between a subgroup of IBS suffers and allergies. This subgroup is seen in allergy clinics more frequently than non-IBS patients are seen in general medicine clinics.

Unfortunately, the study does not show that allergies cause IBS or vice versa. It does not suggest any new theraputic approaches. And it does not say that allergy tests provide any insights into how to manage IBS symptoms.

This research makes interesting contribution to solving a very complex puzzle

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#331701 - 06/28/08 05:53 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Thats a really interesting post for me considering I have eczema and pollen/hayfever allergies along with food allergies (I'm allergic to avocado, bananas, eggs, and honey-bizarre I know)along with the whole IBS-D thing. It would be nice if a doctor would finally figure this whole thing out so we can actually have a real cure! oh well. Thanks for the info!!

Stef

#331725 - 06/29/08 11:51 AM
shellyr

Reged: 02/17/04

I have severe pollen allergies and as a result have something called oral allergy syndrome. I get allergic reactions from eating raw veggies and fruits, my mouth tongue, throat and lips get itchy. Though not a true food allergy, it is a cross allergic reaction to the pollens that I am allergic too. I have researched this a lot and my doctor has told me as well, that if you have this cross reaction, that once the food is ingested that you can suffer cramping diarrhea and general stomach upset from the offending fruit or vegetable. Once I was diagnosed with this I wondered if that has been the cause of my IBS all these years. Cooking my vegies and fruits thoroughly helps, but has not completely eliminated my IBS.

Good luck at the allergist. I hope you get some answers!

#331784 - 06/30/08 10:25 AM
Fia

I'm not sure how to "handle" these findings either. But it might explain why i sometimes have longer periods of pain and IBS-D. For long periods I can eat almost anything (with a few exeptions) if I just do it moderately, overeating often triggers an attack but I bounce back quite quickly. But then comes periods when I feel all sore on the inside and have a hard time with food I tolerate quite well most of the time like tomatoes, cucumber, strawberries....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2859 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2528

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review