All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Need some advice about working with digestive disorders
      #330932 - 06/11/08 08:13 AM
plo66

Reged: 05/28/07
Loc: Iowa

Hi. I haven't been here in a while. I have IBS-D and Gastroparesis (delayed emptying of the stomach disorder). Does anyone else have both of these? I was diagnosed 4 years ago and I haven't been able to work at a job at all. Between the daily severe bloating, and the diarreah it has been impossible. I am applying for disability. I am in a very bad situation. I am only living on child support and that isn't even enough to survive. I have tried everything for the bloating and nothing works. I have tried all kinds of IBS diets, supplements, even heathers products and they don't work. Is anyone else in this situation? I mean, is anyone else in financial trouble like this because of these disorders? My car is falling apart and I don't know what to do about that either. I don't have any money and I have a teenager at home to support. Please someone give me some advice.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need some advice about working with digestive disorders new
      #331018 - 06/12/08 09:21 AM
whoopiecushion

Reged: 11/17/04
Loc: South Carolina

I can relate to you. I am not at the financial loss that you are at, but I would be if I didn't go to work everyday feeling sick and tired. I have to be at work at 8:30 everyday M-F. In order to do that I get up every morning at 5:00 am and spend that time going in and out of the bathroom between 3-5 times before I can leave to work. I have done this for over 20 years. I still get to work late. I have often wondered if I will be able to keep this up, but I have heard there is no disability with IBS. They don't recognize it. I have tried diet. I can't even get past the chicken. One day it is fine the next not. Tried eating only pasta. Gas galore!! No allergies according to tests, but intolerances include about everything for my body. Sometimes I feel better after I ate a burger and fries than I do after eating plain chicken and rice. Makes no sense. I wish you the best.

#331085 - 06/13/08 04:50 PM
Candy2

Reged: 04/09/08

Hi plo66,

What are you taking for your bloaing and diarrhea? Have you tried Imodium for diarrhea? Someone on this board recommended Reflux Away for the bloating and it's really helped me. You can purchase this at www.enaturalcare.com.

Have you looked into social services for your financial needs? Would you consider taking a roommate or moving in with family to lower your expenses?

My heart goes out to you. If you wish I can pay for the Reflux Away for you. You can e-mail me at cjk711@yahoo.com and give me your mailing address.

Good luck, Sweetie! You will see things will work out!

Candy

#331088 - 06/14/08 05:16 AM
Kteach84

Reged: 03/31/08
Loc: MA

I'm sure you have already thought of this but what about working from home? I'm not sure what you used to do before you got IBS, but maybe you could be some kind of consultant where most of your work would be done on the phone or on the computer. One of my friends used to have a job working for tripadvisor (a website where people rate trips). She was able to read reviews each night from her house and get paid for it. I'm guessing it wasn't a high paying job but i have to imagine anything is better than nothing right now. I hope that disability works out as well because clearly digestive disorders are keeping you from working. Good luck!

~Kelly

--------------------
I am training for a Sprint Triathlon- Check out my Blog!
http://redsoxcap.blogspot.com/

Re: For Candy2 advice about working with digestive disorders new
      #331089 - 06/14/08 06:09 AM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

Hi Candy:

How sweet of you....by the way, what side of Green Bay are you on and are still doing the accupuncture??
Sharon

#331094 - 06/14/08 07:16 AM
Candy2

Reged: 04/09/08

Hi sharond,

I think it's important for all of us to help each other as much as we can.

I am about 35 miles northwest of Green Bay. Would you like to start an IBS support group in the area? I e-mailed you a little while ago and didn't hear back from you.

Yes, I am still doing the acupuncture and Chinese herbs. I rarely get abdominal cramps anymore. Also twice this past week I had foods with a little bit of dairy in them and had no problem. I am having regular BMs without any fiber powder too. It's a little expensive, $48 per treatment twice per week but I will hang in there. Mainstream doctors tell you to take Citrucel twice per day and drink 10 glasses of water per day! No one can drink that much water.

#331095 - 06/14/08 07:27 AM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

Hi Candy:

Yes, I would like to start a support group in this area. Are you the Candy1 out on the support group link. I noticed that the other day that a Candy1 from this area wanted to start a support group...it was from back in I believe April.

Anyway, sorry I missed your e-mail....sometimes I get tons and tons of junk and maybe it was mixed up in there and accidentally got deleted.

Anyway, it is sdmielke@yahoo.com if you want to e-mail me again. I'll look more closely for it. I noticed that you put your e-mail address in another post so I'll go back and look for it there.

Hope to hear from you soon and hopefully get something going.
Sharon

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1834 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2347

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review