Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How much fat to consumer per day?
      #330732 - 06/07/08 06:09 AM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

Howdy all,

Just curious how much fat (in terms of grams) you consume on an average day? I just started tracking my foods daily and was amazed at how much I was getting--I've been having a LOT of gi issues lately and I'm wondering if this is the cause. I'm looking to do low fat as a way of life-not fat free. I understand the importance of fat in a diet but all things in moderation, eh?

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How much fat to consumer per day? new
      #330735 - 06/07/08 06:46 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Heather says "Keep your fat intake to 20% - 25% of your total calories, and make your fats count. They should be monounsaturated and contain essential fatty acids, so choose fat sources such as olive oil, canola oil, avocados, finely ground nuts, fatty fish, flax oil, etc."

1 gram of fat equals 9 calories

Recommended number of calories per day for women is 1200-2000 and for men 1800-2400. Therefore recommended intake of fat per day for women is 26-55 grams and for men 40-65 grams.

My personal rule of thumb is to not eat foods containing more than 10% fat by weight.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: How much fat to consumer per day? new
      #330802 - 06/08/08 04:58 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

So for a 2000 calorie diet it would be about 500 fat calories a day or about 55 grams (500 divided by 9). One tablespoon of oil (any kind) has 14 grams of fat.
*The important thing is to have no more than 25-30% fat in your gut at one time. The amount per day is really made up of little meals of 25% each. If you catch my meaning.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 486 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1229

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review