All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Does anyone eat animal crackers?
      #330074 - 05/21/08 05:47 PM
Kteach84

Reged: 03/31/08
Loc: MA

I saw animal crackers on a safe list at some point but I am having that hardest time actually finding safe ones. I found some that were safe online but when I went to the grocery store (despite being the exact same kind) it said HFCS on the ingredients. Then, I bought the cinnamon ones because it didn't have HFCS, come to find out there have dairy! Other animal crackers seem to have a lot of fat....does anyone have a brand recommendation?

Also, anyone have any luck with fig bars, like from Barbara's bakery? don't know if those would be safe or not.

--------------------
I am training for a Sprint Triathlon- Check out my Blog!
http://redsoxcap.blogspot.com/

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Does anyone eat animal crackers? new
      #330078 - 05/21/08 06:23 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I love animal crackers, but can't get any without milk ingredients so I gave them up - too many bad tummy days with them. Instead I have graham crackers or fig newtons (local store brand, not Barbara's thou) - neither bother me. I also eat rice cookies - they're by Hot Kid and they are 2 in a bag in a bigger bag of 10 or 12. They're nice for a change and they are gluten and dairy free.

Good luck!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#330080 - 05/21/08 08:09 PM
em76

Reged: 05/10/08
Loc: Massachusetts

I found these online
EnviroKidz Organic Gluten-Free Animal Cookies, Vanilla
Ingredients
Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, Organic Brown Rice Flour, Organic Corn Flour, Organic Palm Oil, Organic Cornstarch, Organic Low Fat Soy Flour, Organic Corn Syrup, Organic Vanilla and Natural Flavors, Sea Salt, Sodium Bicarbonate (Leavening Agent), Soy Lecithin (Added As An Emulsifier), Xanthan Gum, Organic Cinnamon, Tocopherols (Natural Vitamin E) Added to Enhance Freshness.

Barbara's Snaimals
Organic Wheat Flour, Unsulphured Molasses, Organic Expeller Pressed Sunflower or Safflower Oil, Natural Flavors, Sea Salt, Soy Lecithin, Baking Soda, Aluminum Free Baking Powder.

**Disclaimer - i am a newbie (week 2), so I am still very new to deciphering the ingredients (I stick to recommendations and recipes on here).

And if someone could post if they are safe or not (and if not why, just so I can understand that would be really helpful)

--------------------
Started EFI 6/13/2008: IBS-D

#330083 - 05/22/08 03:05 AM
Kteach84

Thanks guys, its good to hear some other options. I found the Barbara's snaimals also and I bought a pack however I think it was hurting my stomach (could've been something else of course, so hard to figure out what it actually is). When I looked again it was 4 grams of fat, 35 calories from fat (out of 110) so that puts it is 31% which is a bit high and may be why they bugged me. The other ones environkidz I have not tried, they have 35 calories from fat also but 120 calories so the percentage is more like 29%. However, I'm guessing I won't be able to have either because only 4 crackers bothered me.
The Stauffers kind looks really safe online, but then like I said at the grocery store it has HFCS in it. I really don't mind the EFI diet at all but it would REALLY be so much easier if the rest of the world was not SO unhealthy putting HFCS and MSG in everything! We don't NEED these products in our food and they are not good for anyone, do they REALLY make them taste better? I bet not. Annoying.

~Kelly

--------------------

#330084 - 05/22/08 04:17 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

We eat these - they're not shaped like animals, but they taste similar!

--------------------
IBS-C

#330097 - 05/22/08 12:53 PM

Unregistered

These actually look like safe ingredients to me. Good job, newbie! Although, like somebody else posted, do check the percentage of calories from fat. That can make a difference.

Hope you're finding the diet to be helpful...

#330104 - 05/22/08 07:57 PM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Trader Joes actually just came out with organic animal crackers that are great and have no milk ingredients.

Thanks for the info!!! new
      #330108 - 05/23/08 06:05 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I have looked every were for safe animal crackers. Thanks for posting the info!
emmasmom
ibs-c
gas
ibs-10 yrs

#330117 - 05/23/08 11:31 AM
Kteach84

Yay! I was so excited I went and bought them today. So tasty, and less fat than the others- plus completely safe. I do not know where I'd be without this message board!

--------------------

ARE trader joes animal crackers safe? new
      #330161 - 05/24/08 06:47 PM
Kteach84

I got these yesterday and I LOVE THEM...I have only had maybe like 20 crackers total, but last night and today my stomach is SO bloated and gassy. I did also eat out last night, seemingly safe food but we all know how eating out can be. I'm hoping its that because I want to continue to eat these animal crackers. Here are the ingredients...safe right?

Calories: 120, 15 from fat. Total fat 2g
ingredients:
organic wheat flour, organic cane sugar, organic sunflower oil, organic brown rice syrup, sea salt, leavening, organic lemon flavor, citric acid, organic soy lecithin, organic mace.

--------------------

#345661 - 05/06/09 08:08 AM
tummalarkey

Reged: 09/05/06

Stauffer's All Natural line does not have HFCS. They have original in the All Natural line and original in a line that does contain HFCS so you have to look close.

http://www.stauffers.net/products/allnatural?pro_id=a80ddda2-7270-4473-b9a9-2b77f7ed444d

Do these ingredients look safe to everyone?

--------------------
Courtney (IBS-D)
"Do your part to live in peace with everyone, as much as possible." Romans 12:18

#345662 - 05/06/09 08:10 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

I get the animal crackers from the envirokids.com website. They are all natural, organic, and taste great. Hey, if the Fiance likes them, they should be good! HTH

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

Re: ARE trader joes animal crackers safe? new
      #345683 - 05/06/09 11:49 AM

Unregistered

I heard citric acid is bad for ibs..can't remember why..but I read it in a post or maybe something heather wrote.

Re: ARE trader joes animal crackers safe? YES I EAT THEM ALL THE TIME!-nt new
      #345702 - 05/06/09 04:03 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

#345718 - 05/06/09 08:18 PM
fairleas

Reged: 05/05/09
Loc: USA

I feel your pain...I was trying to find SOMETHING in the store tonight in the cookie aisle that I could eat, and came up with nothing. I didn't look at every box or bag, but the ones I did look at depressed me so much I just gave up. There are no health food stores around here, I'm not going to drive a half-hour or more just to get to one, and I hate paying s/h just to order cookies. I guess I'll keep looking...my local Kroger has a small "health food" section so maybe I can find something there.

--------------------
IBS-D since...well, a long time
(probiotic acidophilous, SF supplements, IBS eating plan)
my blog

fairleas new
      #345747 - 05/07/09 07:18 PM
tummalarkey

Reged: 09/05/06

I just found some animal crackers that appear to be safe...and I found them at the strangest place...Babies R Us. Go figure. They're by Stauffer's, just make sure to get the All Natural one's (they have both original and the mini versions). Here are the ingredients, maybe someone can tell us both if these are definitely safe.

Ingredients: Wheat Flour, Sugar, Soybean Oil, Invert Syrup, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Sodium Bicarbonate (Leavening), Soy Lecithin (an emulsifier), Natural Flavor, Spices (Nutmeg and Mace). Made in a Bakery that uses Peanuts and Tree Nuts.

Also, the serving size is 62 crackers (30g) they're mini crackers and the fat is 2g. Calories 120 Calories from Fat 15.

--------------------
Courtney (IBS-D)
"Do your part to live in peace with everyone, as much as possible." Romans 12:18

#345771 - 05/08/09 12:25 PM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

For those in the Northeast, Hannaford has their own organic/natural brand called Nature's Place and they make organic animal crackers. Ingredients: organic wheat flour, organic dehydrated cane juice, organic canola and/or organic sunflower and/or organic soybean oil, organic invert sugar, sea salt, baking soda, organic vanilla extract.

They're a little high in fat (5g per oz.) but I eat them frequently (though in moderate amounts at a time) and they don't seem to bother me. In fact, when I was flaring bad last year I practically lived on them because they were one of the few things I could eat that didn't go right through me! Now that I can eat some other things I don't have them as often, but I still like them.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1877 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8334

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review