All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Importance of confirming your diagnosis
      #330037 - 05/20/08 09:56 PM
Carolynjoy1228

Reged: 04/12/07

I just want to share my story to make sure that everyone confirms their IBS diagnosis with thorough testing:

About 4 years ago, I started developing constipation and abdominal pain after eating. After trying to cope on my own, I finally went to a gastroenterologist. After performing one test, an abdominal CT scan, he diagnosed me with IBS, and prescribed Miralax and Bentyl. I wasn't experiencing relief, so I found Heather's diet. It has helped quite a bit with regularity, although I've had ongoing problems, especially with abdominal pain (severe) after eating. I thought that I just wasn't being careful enough with my diet.

But then, after a night of excruciating abdominal pain that put me in the emergency room, I had an abdominal ultrasound done. It was found that I had severe gallbladder disease (a red and inflamed organ full of HUNDREDS of gallstones).

I had my gallbladder removed a month ago. My digestion has improved remarkably. I actually am continuing with the acacia fiber, because I think it's healthy and great for regularity. It just makes me feel good. But evidently, I don't have IBS.

So I must advise you all to please insist on a full battery of GI tests to rule out any other alternative. I know Heather has a list of all of the tests that should be done and what should be ruled out.

So please consider revisiting your GI doctor to be absolutely sure that you don't have anything else wrong.

The funny thing is, I feel so comfortable on Heather's diet, I don't really feel any need to change it. I'm eating healthier than I've ever eaten, with lean chicken, rice, veggies, etc. And I still find it most comfortable to stick with this diet, as it insures regularity and abdominal comfort.

Especially if your symptoms are persisting despite diet and lifestyle changes, please be sure there isn't anything else wrong.

Thank you for all of your valuable help as I've learned to follow this diet. I assume I will keep checking in on the board, because I really do like this diet and the recipes so much. It's such a healthy way to live.

Carolyn in Chicagoland

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Importance of confirming your diagnosis new
      #332010 - 07/04/08 08:46 PM
rubydoo326

Reged: 06/28/08
Loc: Central PA

First off, I'm a newbie here, so Hi to all!

Secondly, here is my story, which tends to be a bit different than the one before me. I had my GB out last September. I haven't been so lucky now that my GB has been taken out. Sorry if this ends up being a long post folks!!! but I felt I needed to tell the story of what has happened to me.............

The one "issue" that I had before hand that I was told would clear up after my GB was out never resolved itself.........chronic diarrhea. It's still ongoing. Soooooooo, after months of dealing with my unresolved issue (and also some other GI issues such as G.E.R.D., a hiatal hernia and multiple benign stomach polyps) I decided to go and seek the opinion of a GI doc instead of going back to the family doc and the surgeon who took my GB out (unfortunately, I didn't do this from the onset) and this GI doc told me I should never have had my GB out and stated that my chronic diarrhea all along was IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) NOT my GB!!!!!! angry.gif The GI doc said chronic diarrhea alone is not a symptom indicative of needing your GB out, especially if you are not having gallbladder "attack" pains. I mentioned to him about how my HIDA scan showed that my GB motility was only a 10% ejection fraction (which supposedly anything less than 20% shows you need to have it out) and how the surgeon told me if I didn't have it removed, it would eventually stop functioning and start to decay inside me (the surgeon called this "biliary dyskenesia", which is strictly a "motility" problem). Again, the GI doc stated that because I did not have GB "attacks" nor did I have any GB stones my HIDA scan was just showing that the GB was slow in metabolizing foods/bile properly not that it was going to quit working on me all together. He seemed very upset (not with me though) and said he wasn't going to get into a big "debate" as to who was right and who was wrong in their diagnosis because the damage has already been done and his job now is to move forward and try to help me deal with the IBS.

I just looked at him with my jaw dropped to the floor and wanted to burst into tears because NOW I have no GB for the rest of my life and have to deal with IBS x 2 (because I probably have bile salts malabsorption diarrhea on top of the IBS now too!!!!!) Some folks have told me to sue my family doc and the surgeon, but it's kind of hard to do that when it's a matter of opinion between doctors.

What he prescibed for me first instead of trying Questran, was to start taking "Citrucel" every day for fiber. I also started eating yogurt with Bifidus Regularis (a probiotic) on my own every morning for breakfast about an hour after I take my two Citrucel chews. Last week was the first week in a looooong time where I did not have virtually any diarrhea for an entire week in a few years. My BM's are much more formed, although still on the soft side, but atleast I am not chained to the privy 10 times a day like I was. I also have started to watch my fat intake and try not to eat things like salads, veggies or fruits without having some sort of "carbo anchor" in my stomach first. Additionally, I first tried doing the calcium supplement thing before going to the GI doc, but it really did not help me like the regimen I am doing now.

Although I've just recently started reading Heather's books (I bought both), it appears that it's pretty much going to be a "lifestyle" change with the foods I eat from now on, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

P.S. I'm so glad to have found this website......keep up the GREAT work, Heather & company!!!!! Thanks for all your time and effort

#332011 - 07/04/08 09:01 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Hey guys welcome. My story falls in between both of yours.
I was told ten years ago I had IBS. No help just deal with it. This past fall I developed severe pains in my chest about once a month. By February they were every couple days.
My nurse practitioner sent blood work away thinking it was possibly a hiatial hernia and sent me for an ultrasound and a consult with the surgeon. I never made it. I ended in the hospital in severe pain on narcotic pain meds. I found out I had gall stones and one was stuck. I was rushed into surgery and told my problems were always my gallbladder.
No hiatial hernia,no IBS.
A few weeks later with no relief from pain, d and depression I went back to the er and had xrays, blood work and finally a cat scan. Guess what?
Nothing they said I was fine did I need to see the doc again?
Hell no! I found Heathers site and since then, I'm so much better.If I stick to the diet, no pain, no d , nothing.
So what I guess I'm saying is I hear ya and I hope for everyone that their problems turn out to be simple and fixable.I no longer have my gb and i still feel the pain there when I eat something fatty .Always get second opinion. Especially when they want to hack out a body part.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#332012 - 07/04/08 09:10 PM
rubydoo326

Reged: 06/28/08
Loc: Central PA

Dragonfly....thanks for your reply and sorry to hear of your experience too! I am almost ashamed of myself in going along with the GB surgery without a second opinion because I spent 15 years in the medical field until 6 years ago and always preached the "second opinion" line to friends and family members. But did I follow my own advice??? NO!!!! I instead let myself get "dupped" into believing that my GB was going to decay inside me if I didn't have it removed. And a HUGE reason why I believed that is because my wonderful Aunt died at age 52 (I'm 51 now) of Gallbladder Pancreatitis and I was so afraid that it was going to happen to me too if I didn't go along with it. I truly believed it was hereditary because I do have so much family history of GB disease.

Can't cry over it now like the GI doc said.......damage done, can't grow a new GB!!!

Thanks for "reading" and best wishes to us ALL!!!

#332015 - 07/05/08 06:40 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Wow could you imagine if we could grow new body parts! I'd definately grow a new digestive tract!

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#332022 - 07/05/08 12:51 PM
Candy2

Reged: 04/09/08

Me too, dragonfly, me too!!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2718 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1642

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review