All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Good Protein source
      #330003 - 05/20/08 07:46 AM
Springtime09

Reged: 07/30/06
Loc: East Coast

I have had IBS for about two years now and am having a problem keeping my protein level up where it should be. The last bloodwork I had done, it was low and I am quite concerned about this. What safe foods can we eat that will keep this level where it should be without suffering the side effects. Would appreciate any information anyone could provide me. Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Good Protein source new
      #330656 - 06/05/08 03:22 PM
Springtime09

"Please Help... I need to hear from anyone who has a low protein level and how they deal with this problem and IBS.

#330666 - 06/05/08 05:15 PM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

Hi! just saw this post, I am anemic, and have major protein defencies I eat fish two times a week, chicken, and then have dishes with mushrooms, (they are sf and protein!) I also eat oatmeal alot. If you can handle tofu or beans of any kind this is good, I sadly can't and the same with peanut butter, one of my favorite protein sources pre ibs. good luck!

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

#330674 - 06/05/08 07:15 PM

Unregistered

I don't know anything at all about your specific medical problem, but I can tell you my protein sources: lentils, black beans, egg white, and quinoa (a complete vegetarian protein on its own) are my main sources, and I eat fish occasionally. I also indulge in almond butter sometimes, but you need to be very careful about the fat percentage.

Quick thing - I can't tolerate soy, but I do actually do very well with beans as long as I pair them with rice. And the combination of beans and rice makes a complete protein, actually. So if you're sensitive to soy, you may not be sensitive to other beans.

Good luck.

#330682 - 06/06/08 03:59 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I had the same problem and I just found a jar of rice protein to add to water or juice. It doesnt have any dairy or eggs or anything. I havent tried it yet but i dont think it should bother me. good luck!

#330688 - 06/06/08 06:46 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

Be careful with the rice protein. I add it to smoothies but it is high in IF (made from brown rice) and it sometimes causes me trouble if I don't get enough SF before I drink it!!

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#330791 - 06/08/08 02:45 PM
Springtime09

Yes, I eat oatmeal at least twice a day too. I try to eat chicken twice a week. I can't handle beans or peanut butter either and they are a good source of protein. I used to eat a lot of these two foods, but alas no more! I'm lucky that I'm not anemic, but do have a low protein level.
Thanks for all the good advise from everyone!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 981 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2659

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review