All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
alcat test
      #329909 - 05/18/08 04:30 AM
wendydou

Reged: 05/15/08

has anyone ever heard of it and is it a viable test?? Is it worth the money? Insurance won't cover it...

Wendy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: alcat test new
      #329911 - 05/18/08 05:44 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

I've heard conflicting reports. I went to see an allergist who did skin testing (that was all negative) and when I told him I wanted this done, he told me it was complete BS and a waste of money. But I've also read that it does work, though it's not widely accepted by the medical community yet.

Sorry that's not more of a clear answer! I didn't wind up getting it done because my allergist said it's crap and I also couldn't afford to pay for the test out of pocket. I'm keeping a food/symptom journal and it's a painstakingly long process, but it has actually been helpful.

--------------------
IBS-C

Re: alcat test new
      #329914 - 05/18/08 06:15 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The general consensus by the medical profession is that the Alcat test is unreliable.

The BBC reviewed a number of allergy tests. Here is what they had to say about the Alcat test

"Leucocytotoxic tests - first advocated in 1956, newer versions include Nutron and ALCAT tests, which measure changes in the blood cell size after the introduction of various food allergens (in a test tube). These tests are unreliable for diagnosing allergies or intolerances according to the European Academy for Allergology and Clinical Immunology"

Here is an article in the Journal of Investigative Allergology and Clinical Immunology on " Unproven techniques in allergy diagnosis ". About the Alcat test it says

"In summary, the ALCAT test system represents a new edition of some old claims of "cytotoxic testing", claims which up to now have not proven to be scientifically established. The ALCAT test system is for the time being relying on unproven statements that lack scientific and clinical proofs of efficacy [2]. It should in no case be recognized by social security and medical reimbursement instances."

The Allergy Society of South Africa prepared a position statement that summarized the international findings about the Alcat test and concluded

"Consensus statements released by Allergy Societies throughout the world (including the representative body of all European allergy societies, The European Academy of Allergy and Immunology (EAACI)) do not recommend the use of this test [Alcat] in the evaluation of acute or delayed allergic or intolerance reactions."

Reference
Wüthrich, B., 2005: Unproven techniques in allergy diagnosis. Journal of Investigative Allergology and Clinical Immunology, 15, 86-90.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 674 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1235

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review