All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Please post your best IBS find - substitues for a newbie
      #329696 - 05/13/08 06:32 AM
em76

Reged: 05/10/08
Loc: Massachusetts

So this is all new to me, today is officially day 1 of stabilizing, but I am excited, nervous and overwhemled at the same time. I picked up safe foods last night, and was really looking around the store at different items, and I wanted to get your best finds, substitutes for foods that you can no longer eat, etc.

And one other question, what condiments are safe? (Looking I am guessing on ketchup, mustard, FF dressing)

Looking for ideas for your favorite butter replacement (I do alot of baking), egg whites, cereal, beverages, anything that you think would help or you love, or any tips, or tricks that you wish you knew in the beginning.

Thanks!

--------------------
Started EFI 6/13/2008: IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Please post your best IBS find - substitues for a newbie new
      #329705 - 05/13/08 08:03 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Anti-Depressant Brownies! These got me through the early weeks of the EFI Diet. When I felt there was nothing yummy left in the world to eat, I knew I had one of these to look forward to at the end of the day.

Safe condiments. There's no specific condiment type thing that's a trigger but there tend to be two problems with a lot of store-bought condiments. First, fat. Mayonnaise is an obvious problem in this regard but you can find low-fat and fat-free. Second, HFCS. You find this in almost everything. I avoided it when I first started out but don't worry so much about it now that I'm stable. Some people always avoid it like the plague; others never worry about it. Not very helpful, I know, but there you are.

Butter substitute. To eat on toast, Smart Balance Light - it's dairy free (Regular Smart Balance is not). For a stick-type thing, Earth Balance Buttery Sticks. But remember to watch your fat content. Doing a straight substitution of Buttery Sticks for butter in baking will eliminate the dairy but not reduce the fat content. (You might also consider Crisco. It think it's IBS-safe, too, oddly enough but the fat content issues still apply.)

Egg whites. I used All-Whites for a long time but the sad truth is that buying whole eggs and throwing away the yolks is cheaper. I still cringe every time I do it, though. I also always keep dried egg whites on hand. If I run out of eggs I can still bake.

Probably not a good idea right now since you're just starting out, but down the road - soy (or rice) ice cream. Very, very high in fat so it will always be a small treat after a low-fat, high SF meal. But it's awfully good.

Last but not least, I wish I'd discovered smoothies earlier. They would have been the perfect thing in my early EFI days - easy, yummy, and safe.

I know this is overwhelming at first but practice really does make perfect. Good luck and HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#329706 - 05/13/08 08:22 AM
em76

Reged: 05/10/08
Loc: Massachusetts

Thank you! I know I won't be ready to eat most of the items for a while, I will start incorpating slowly, but I figure if I get excited for what I will be able to have and have a list of "tested" items it will make the time go quicker and make shopping a little bit less scary. I am trying to look at the coming days as the new things that I can eat instead of harping on the things that I can't.

Em

--------------------
Started EFI 6/13/2008: IBS-D

#329709 - 05/13/08 09:55 AM
Kteach84

Reged: 03/31/08
Loc: MA

I love talking about yummy but safe for IBS foods ) I am pretty new too but some foods are getting me through big time:

*sweet potatoes- regular potatoes are a bit plain on their own (although I am going to tried mashed potatoes with chicken broth tomorrow so I'll let you know how that goes) but i love sweet potatoes plain
*zuchini "unfries" I found on the recipe board here- I bake the zucchini (cut like french fries) in the oven with a bit of cinnamon, yum
*soy yogurt
*cheerios, pretzels, apple sauce, bananas and cooked carrots are my every day snack foods
*sour dough bread with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter or almond butter
*MUFFINS- my new obsession. I made Heather's cornbread into muffins and they were delicious. I also made oatmeal apple muffins found on this board, equally amazing. My sister was making carrot muffins the other day that I couldn't have so now I'm on a mission to find IBS safe carrot muffins. I am also going to try making Heather's banana bread this weekend- not muffins but I bet it will be SO yummy.
*peppermint tea and decaf chai- I swear chai with soy milk sort of reminds me of coffee (I know weird)
*lemon tuna salad found in heather's cookbook, mixes together tuna with pasta and its so yummy
*I have been okay with soy ice cream as long as you buy the lower fat kinds. So Delicious (not the purely decedent) has some varieties that are VERY low in fat- for example the mint marble fudge has 140 calories in a half of a cup, only 30 from fat ) I also just bought So Delicious dairy free bars which are basically like creamsicles- I bought the rasberry flavor, have not tried it yet though. 80 calories, only 10 from fat. So many desserts so little time!

Hope this is helpful!

~Kelly

--------------------
I am training for a Sprint Triathlon- Check out my Blog!
http://redsoxcap.blogspot.com/

#329714 - 05/13/08 10:48 AM
Doxiesam

Reged: 07/09/07
Loc: Oklahoma

Soy products have replaced most diary products for me. I love the fact that I can eat "Grilled Cheese" sandwiches (made with Smart Balance Light butter, homemade bread, and sliced soy cheddar cheese). I also enjoy having "Peanut butter and Jelly" sandwiches (made with SoyNut butter, fruit spread, and homemade bread). I have these anytime I just don't have enough time to cook a meal. I also enjoy a daily snack of Keebler Low Fat Cinnamon Graham Crackers with a glass of Vanilla Soy Milk. Oh and for that time of the month I always have Chocolate Soy Milk in the house, YUMMY!

Before starting EFI I was getting pretty bored with my diet, it felt like I was always cooking the same things. I love going through the recipes to find something new to try. I make the Chewy Oatmeal Spice Bars every week for my husband to take in his lunch and for me to have as a snack. It makes enough bars for each of us to have 1 a day for 7 days. My husband just loves them, says they are a lot better than any store bought bars.

If you don't do a lot of baking now, you might want to purchase a bread machine ($40) to make your own bread, although others find store breads they can eat safely. I also recommend a rice cooker ($15-$20), just pour rice in and add water it does the rest. There are so many baking recipes to try, Cinnamon Sugar Bread - Bread Machine recipe found in the recipe index is wonderful.

-Samantha

--------------------
IBS-D - Diagnosed August 2002 (No D since October 07!)
Pain (No pain since October 07!), Gas/Bloating (Better)
Mild Ulcerative Colitis - Diagnosed August 2007
Acid Reflux - Diagnosed 1997
Medicine: Acacia (24 grams), Prilosec [Reflux] (20mg), Lialda [UC](2.5mg).

#329716 - 05/13/08 12:19 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Hi welcome to the board! I have been on here for about 2 years now the best advice is to read read read. I am always learning something new everytime I'm on here. Here are some of my suggestions.
Ceral
Rice Crispies
Rice chex
Almond milk sweet for smoothies and unsweet to cook or ceral and the choclate because its wonder and you will never miss choclate milk again!
Panko bread crumbs are wonderful for chicken nuggets and fish.
Chicken broth Rachael Ray has some out no dairy no msg and gluten free
Corn starch I love this stuff! Great for thicking
Hersheys coca
Snacks
Grham crackers for snack/angel food cake/rice crispie
treats. Rice pudding,fat free crackers, prtezels hard and soft ones
Ketchup I use organic
no luck on mayo's or salad dressings yet
hth
emmasmom
ibs-c
gas
lactose interolant

#329719 - 05/13/08 01:46 PM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

For baking, you can substitute canola oil for butter. If the recipe calls for melted butter, sub 1:1. Otherwise, use 7/8ths as much canola as the recipe calls for.

You can also subsitute some or most of the oil with fruit purees, such as applesauce. I use a lot of pumpkin puree. I've not tried pear puree but I've heard good things about that as well.

For cereals and crackers and whatnot, I prefer to purchase them in the "healthy" section of my grocery store, simply because I prefer less additives and preservatives. You almost never find HFCS or trans fatty acids in the "health" foods. My favorites are Barbara's low fat Right Round crackers (like Ritz, but I think better!) and the Envirokids cereals - only ingredients are corn meal, evaporated cane juice and sea salt! I also really like the New Morning honey grahams - I try and limit those, however, because they do have some whole wheat flour.

My new favorite trick is to peel and slice and apple in the morning and throw it in a plastic container for work - surprisingly it only gets the tiniest bit brown! So much better than eating the peel and suffering for it!!

If you have a bread machine, the crowd-pleasing light oat bread from this website is my favorite!

--------------------
IBS-C

Edited by Fen (05/14/08 04:48 AM)

#329728 - 05/13/08 05:13 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Hmmm.... Favorite subs...

I have no trouble with ketchup, mustard or low fat salad dressings in moderation. I use fat free mayo or veggienaise sparingly too.

Drinks - out with the coffee, in with the peppermint, rooibos and tranquility tea! Cranberry juice and lots of water!

Chocolate milk - Blue Diamond Chocolate Almond milk is better than any ol' 2% cows milk any day!

Blue Diamond Almond Thins (crackers) are even better than the regular rice crackers I've eaten for years.

Soy Silk yoghurt is by far my favorite brand. I have to travel to the US to buy it so it's a big treat for me!

Instead of ice-cream I found two treats - non-dairy orange sorbet - in the store brand "Equality" or "Irresistables" - don't know if it is available in the US, but I'm sure someone makes a dairy-free.

And then there is the oatmeal cookie, chocolate covered soy ice-cream sandwiches - I don't recall who makes them, but they are devine!! Once you are stable though as they have higher fat content than even I like to consume.

Welcome to board and good luck!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#329751 - 05/14/08 09:43 AM
stopper

Reged: 04/16/08

I don't use any dairy products except butter. I use organic butter in all my baked goods. It's one of the few things I don't have a problem with. I can't tolerate eggs but I use Just Whites in my pancakes & they don't seem to bother me.

#329770 - 05/14/08 02:47 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Minute rice in the microwave with a herb-ox chicken bouioln is great I eat this on my not so happy tummy days. Also They have out a can chicken called valley fresh canned chicken all natural white meat. its good for lunch or in a hurry!hth.
emmasmom
ibs-c
gas

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 499 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2384

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review