All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Olive Garden Question
      #329390 - 05/05/08 05:40 PM
Kteach84

Reged: 03/31/08
Loc: MA

I have read a bunch of threads on Olive Garden- as it is my boyfriend and my favorite Italian restaurant (that and Bertuccis). I know I am going to order my bread sticks with no oil (bf is going to have his own basket haha), and I am going to get the Capellini Pomodoro sauce on the side (it says on 20% calories from fat- so maybe I don't even need the sauce on the side?).

What do you think about the minestrone soup? I know thats a lot of insoluble fiber, but if I eat only a small amount with the pasta and the bread...I tend to be pretty tolerant of IF but less so of fat, and I can't see nutrition info for the minestrone. Anyone tried it with any results? Thanks all!

--------------------
I am training for a Sprint Triathlon- Check out my Blog!
http://redsoxcap.blogspot.com/

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Olive Garden Question new
      #329395 - 05/05/08 06:39 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

At Olive Garden I get the Apricot Chicken, with the sauce on the side and the chicken plain. I also substitute the broccolli for some other safter veggie without butter. I also have gotten plain breadsticks and they were fine (not as tasty as the others of course!). And I did have the minestrone soup. But I picked around all the lima beans and the big pieces of green beans and cabbage. Good luck! Italian restaurants I have found to be the most difficult!!

Stef

#329396 - 05/05/08 06:52 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I've asked about the minnestrone, as it is one of my favs. The cook even came to the table. Unfortunately he couldn't tell me what kind of broth they used for the soup - he said it could be beef and vegetable. And as I know that I cannot tolerate beef I decided I'd better not test it. I make my own at home and I have no trouble.

I too opt for the apricot chicken - with the sauce - it doesn't bother me. I tell the server I can't have any milk products and they just steam my veggies. Next time I might as to substitue the broccoli - there's enough greens with the asparagas. I'll have to try the pasta pomodoro though - I do like their marinara sauce to dip my breadsticks in!

Good luck, whatever your decision.

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#329399 - 05/05/08 07:18 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Toady,
I usually just get the sauce on the side. I am always nervous that its going to be too much sauce. But when I dip my chicken in it it didnt bother me. I was almost 100 percent positive that the minestrone soup is vegetable broth. I too, can not tolerate red meat, and that soup was fine for me- although I did pick around a lot of things! But it was better than what the salad would have done for me!

Stef

#329401 - 05/06/08 04:24 AM
Kteach84

Reged: 03/31/08
Loc: MA

I can't believe the cook didn't know if it was beef or vegetable broth. I know people with IBS probably don't ask him that every day, but you would think vegetarians would come in fairly often and not be too happy that a seemingly vegetable soup was beef broth!
It definitely seems like Italian food is a challenge, but it's my favorite so it's a challenge I'm willing to take.

Thanks for the help. I may have to consider getting that chicken, it sounds pretty good )

--------------------
I am training for a Sprint Triathlon- Check out my Blog!
http://redsoxcap.blogspot.com/

#329405 - 05/06/08 06:13 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I always get breadsticks plain. I order grilled chicken with penne pasta with bl olives tomatoes, squash, zuchunie, mushrooms. plain no sauce.Its better than what you think. and have just a little salad after words. hth.
emmasmom
ibs-c
gas

#329603 - 05/10/08 01:41 PM
Candy2

Reged: 04/09/08

My sister gave me a $25 gift certificate at Olive Garden before I got IBS. All of your comments were helpful and I printed out some of them.

Now I can use that certificate with confidence I won't have a nasty attack.

I much would prefer the fettucini pasta with a huge glass of red wine and chocolate cake, but Oh Well! I should have used the certificate before I got IBS, LOL.

#329621 - 05/11/08 12:35 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Quote:

I much would prefer the fettucini pasta with a huge glass of red wine and chocolate cake, but Oh Well! I should have used the certificate before I got IBS, LOL

Wouldn't we all!! I would opt for seafood alfredo and tiramisu for dessert with their house blush wine!!

But alas, apricot chicken it is!! I'm headed there next weekend while we're in Duluth MN!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#329624 - 05/11/08 04:48 PM
PixieDust721

Reged: 04/27/08

I am a vegetarian and have asked the company directly, they say that the ministrone is made with a vegetable broth and no parmagain (or any other dairy for that matter). Hope that helps!

#329656 - 05/12/08 10:26 AM
Candy2

Then it's decided! I will have plain bread sticks with no dairy, the apricot chicken, and minestrone soup. What kind of potatoes could I safely order since I am fearful of the broccoli that comes with the chicken?

Thanks for all the great info!

#329821 - 05/15/08 02:08 PM
Candy2

Hi,

I ate all the foods in my earlier post on 5/12 except the broccoli. I did eat the asparagus but they had no potatoes without dairy in them. The minestrone soup was fine also.

They were most accomodating to my special needs but it was hard to watch my hubby eat the raspberry cheesecake, LOL!

#329826 - 05/15/08 02:26 PM
LittleLamb

Reged: 07/22/04
Loc: USA

I love the Olive Garden but I cannot eat there anymore. The last time I tried was about 2 years ago. I would get a horrible IBS attack afterwards every time. I asked for ingredient listing and found out that they use MSG in/on almost everything they make. I am extremely sensitive to MSG so that explains it!

If you are not MSG sensitive, then you might be okay with the items people listed here. Good luck to you and I hope you find something yummy to eat.

do plain pasta and veggies........ new
      #329831 - 05/15/08 02:59 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

If you order dry past grilled chicken and some veggies you should be fine. I am msg sensitve and don't have a prolbem with it. hth.
emmasmom
ibs-c
gas

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 995 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3357

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review