All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
whats the problem?
      #329178 - 04/30/08 07:31 PM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I feel like I have been eating better over the last couple of months but Im still having stomach problems. I eat basically the same 10 things like all the time. Are any of these foods things that I shouldnt be eating?
blueberries, cranberries are the only fruits I will eat
sweet potaotes and carrots are the only veggies I seem to tolerate
then I eat a lot of brown sugar cream of farina which Im pretty sure is safe right?
I also eat pasta, grilled chicken, rice, bagels, bread (is wonder bread ok b/c I think it has some milk ingredients in it?)crackers
Almonds, and the CLif Z bars (which says it may have trace amounts of milk in them) but they are so good and I think they are ok for me. I also drink alot of green tea with no HFCS just sugar. It does have citric acid tho, is that ok?
ANy input would be appreciated, thanks alot!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: whats the problem? new
      #329229 - 05/02/08 06:38 AM
catnut

Reged: 04/08/07
Loc: Kentucky, USA

I suggest reading the messages listed at the very beginning of the board done by Heather in 2004. They have all the bits of information you seem to be asking about. Her book, Eating for IBS, also has the information in it. It's a great reference to have or at least borrow it from the library if possible.

--------------------
Catnut IBS-C for many years, finally diagnosed in 2005. Wheat and dairy sensative.

Re: whats the problem? new
      #329244 - 05/02/08 09:49 AM
LogicalGator

Reged: 04/27/08
Loc: Maryland, USA

I agree with catnut that you should check out the sticky posts and the main part of the website for more information about the diet Heather suggests. It works pretty well for me when I stick to the safe soluble fiber foods.

I'll tell you what I think (based on my experience and my understanding of the EFI diet) might be wrong with what you're eating - but again you need to check out the sticky posts because there's a lot more to it and better explanation of why these might be problems. Also since I think a lot of what you're eating has potential problems, the sticky posts can give you a longer and better list of foods that are safe to eat. But I wanted to give you some specific responses as well.

-Blueberries and cranberries have some insoluble fiber and might be problematic. Fruit-wise I find bananas and apple sauce work best for me.
-With the cream of farina, is it white rice or brown rice? Brown rice may be harder to tolerate. White rice should be OK. I haven't been able to find any farina that is not brown rice - if you know of one please let me know what brand it is! Also look at the ingredients list to see if it is heavily processed. I think Rice Chex are pretty safe as an alternative (with rice milk, but make sure it's from white rice; some people have problems with soy milk but I think others do OK with it).
-With the pasta, rice, bagels, and bread, it's much safer to stick to the white versions of all of those - no whole wheat or whole grain or anything else funky. I once tried cinnamon raisin bagels and I regretted it! Wonder Bread is probably so heavily processed that even it could cause problems - how about some organic white bread, or a non-organic but reasonably fresh brand like Pepperidge Farm?
-Does the green tea you drink have caffeine? That could be the problem. Citric acid might be a problem - I don't know if it would be in such a small dose - I know I've read that it's good to stay away from citrus as it can irritate. Try some peppermint or fennel tea without caffeine.
-With the Clif Z bars, I don't know about them specifically, but I've looked at the ingredients of a few different energy bars and they all look like problems. I'd suggest cutting them out until you figure out foods you know are safe, then try introducing them again later and see how you do. At the very least, look closely at the ingredients.

Grilled chicken, sweet potatoes, and the starches if white / not whole-wheat or whole-grain should be OK.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1686 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1008

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review