All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS side effect
      #328954 - 04/27/08 09:31 AM
jan55

Reged: 04/27/08

I've had constant IBS for 2 years but just found this website and have been following the IBS diet for about a week. The IBS has been unbearable but the worst problem for me now is the resultant hemorrhoids that I can't seem to get under control. My gastroenterologist has been no help saying my only hope is to get the IBS under control for which he gave me Bentyl or surgery for the hemorrhoids. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS side effect new
      #328956 - 04/27/08 09:40 AM
Laurastr1

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Chicago

Have you tried following the diet here and using a SF supplement? My GI doc gave me Bentyl, Librax, etc. and they are really just a band-aid as they treat the symptoms. You really need to change what you're eating to get your IBS under control. If you change what you're eating and take a SF supplement, most likely you will not need meds. I much prefer Heather's peppermint caps to the RX stuff, if I'm really feeling bad and need something.

--------------------
Laura
DX IBS 12/07
Following IBS Diet with Weight Watchers
Also GERD
Former cast iron stomach

#328997 - 04/27/08 06:52 PM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

I sympathize about the hemorrhoids! I have been afraid to have surgery done, so just suffer through. Some tips I can suggest:

1. Take an ice cube and put it in a plastic baggy, and "apply" that to the anus and keep it there till it nearly melts. It's pretty shocking at first, but it numbs and shrinks the tissue. I usually do this at bedtime. Don't ever use "warm sitz-baths"--- terrible for hemorrhoids!

2. Lay off the "scratchy" and gritty fiber in foods---for me it's things like almonds, flax cereal, etc. Also in this category are Certain Foods--which I guess are different for each person---that seem to cause a toxic irritant for the anal tissues. Like for me, if I eat the least little bit of yoghurt, I'll start to get hemorrhoids.

3. Keep the anal area super clean, but don't rub with TP---use plain water.
Protect it with zinc cream (Tuks Anusol)--and insert a little with the applicator, if you can. Avoid the Preparation H type which makes things worse.

4. Don't sit for long periods---I've had to raise my computer and mouse up on a box, and do everything standing up---for going on weeks.

I've tried everything, and the one thing that seems to help the most for me is THE ICE CUBE treatment.

C.

Edited by Calli66 (04/27/08 06:54 PM)

#329062 - 04/28/08 06:36 PM
jan55

Reged: 04/27/08

Thanks for the advice. The ice sounds like a really good idea. I really appreciate your response.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4780 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1679

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review