All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Re: Informative / corrections / different perspective new
      #328916 - 04/26/08 12:39 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Recent research suggests just as IF can exacerbate IBS-D it can also increase problems for IBS-C. The recommendation is that both IBS-D and IBS-C can benefit from increased consumption of SF and a decrease in IF. I will look for the reference in the next couple of days and post it.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I didn't so much make an assumption... new
      #328921 - 04/26/08 02:49 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

I am a he not a she. It strange how some people on this board make assumptions without checking the facts.

as play the odds. In the absence of any information about your gender (I either haven't seen any or haven't remembered any), I was forced to decide how to refer to you. The traditional English practice is to refer to people of unknown gender as "he". I am somewhat uncomfortable with this practice in all circumstances but it seems particularly unwise on the Diet Board. Since some sources report that as much as 75% of IBS sufferers are women and since the vast majority of posters on the IBS Boards are women, it was more likely you were a woman. I could, of course, have referred to you as "s/he" but this form has never achieved wide-spread acceptance and therefore remains jarring enough to divert attention away from whatever points are being made.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Syl... new
      #329008 - 04/28/08 07:38 AM

Unregistered

Syl, did you start taking the Life Start??? Do tell

Re: Syl... new
      #329009 - 04/28/08 07:50 AM
Syl

Yes - I will make a full posting in a day or two.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

I knew it! new
      #329051 - 04/28/08 05:11 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Quote:

I am a he not a she.

I had a very big suspicion of this! But then I thought maybe Syl was Sylvia, you know. Syl have you in the past or present posted at IBSgroup.org?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: I knew it! new
      #329058 - 04/28/08 05:39 PM
Syl

I read a few message on that web site but I have never posted a message.

--------------------

Re: For Wendy2 For Sand and Heather new
      #329066 - 04/29/08 02:48 AM
Claudie

Reged: 12/29/07
Loc: Australia

I'm the one who said I can eat a very small amount of dairy once a day max, but that cold triggers a bad IBSD episode. That is cold soy icecream or cold soy choc milk. I hate to think what cold dairy would do. I only posted this because others were mentioning eating icecream and I wasn't sure if they had thought about the temperature rather than the food. I had hoped it might help someone else. I'm fairly new here (since Jan 2008) and am following the diet quite strictly, am much better than I have ever been before, on a great probiotic which helps, take 10g of acacia every day and am learning heaps. There are a couple of things on the diet which don't bother me in small quantities but I wouldn't call myself stable yet - it hasn't been long enough to be sure and I am still struggling with anxiety which I think is affecting me the most at the moment.

--------------------
IBS D

For Claudie new
      #329071 - 04/29/08 06:28 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Yup, yours is the post I was thinking of. I thought it was interesting because I've never been bothered by cold but I'm pretty sure Heather mentions it as a possible problem and I know others who've posted in the past have said they are bothered by it. And - if I remember correctly - you said even a small amount of a cold food would bother you. I do think that was a valuable tip to pass along to others since no one else currently posting seems to be talking about problems caused by very cold foods - or if they are, I've missed it.

I'm glad you're doing so well with Heather's approach and that the probiotics are helping. Anxiety can be really tough and - at least for me - I ended up with anxiety mostly about my IBS which made for a vicious cycle: the worry about it made me more likely to have an attack which made me worry about it more. Have you considered trying the hypno program? It might help with that.

Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Reference as promised new
      #329210 - 05/01/08 02:44 PM
Syl

Hi CarolynC

A systematic review of 17 randomized controlled trials of fiber supplements in IBS patients published in 2004 found that SF significantly improved a global IBS symptoms, while IF did not. The results suggest that increasing SF intake for all types of IBS may be beneficial.

I hope this helps - Good luck

Reference
Bijkerk, C. J., J. W. M. Muris, J. A. Knottnerus, A. W. Hoes, and N. J. De Wit, 2004: Systematic review: the role of different types of fibre in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics
Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 19, 245-251

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1798 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9631

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review