All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
For Wendy2 new
      #328846 - 04/25/08 10:03 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm glad this Heather's approach has been so helpful for you. It was certainly a life-saver for me.

I have to say I don't understand why someone else talking about being able to eat a trigger food would be helpful. I figure once you're stable, if you're lucky enough to be able to eat pizza you shouldn't question your luck - just be grateful.

Having said that, however, if you have a question that you need to ask and you have to admit you eat pizza in order to ask your question, then please at least give a nod to the fact that this is supposed to be a support Board for the EFI Diet. Say, "I know dairy is a trigger food and not allowed on the EFI Diet. However, now that I'm stable I find I'm lucky enough to be able to eat pizza without suffering. I still can't eat ice cream however. Any ideas why this might be?" That tells newbies that eating pizza is *not* SOP around here. It also tells people like me that you understand the Diet principles and you're stable so I won't post something like, "Pizza?! Are you crazy?!" (Note to everyone who is not stable: There is no way to say with a straight face, "I'm not stable but pizza doesn't bother me.")

Again, there's a big difference between saying you eat a trigger food in order to ask a question and saying you eat a trigger food in order to reassure someone who's trying to get stable that she can just ignore those pesky little food lists - it's fine for her to eat whatever her little heart desires.

As for disregarding "the posts that ... are really off base", I see two problems with that. First, while it works for you because you understand the Diet well enough to get stable, it can be awfully hard for a new poster to figure out which posts are really off base. Second, if everyone disregards posts that are really off base the person who is posting is not getting any help figuring out what to do to feel better.

BTW, I see that you haven't posted in over three years. Welcome back.

BTW - again - I couldn't find the post from the other person who could eat pizza but not ice cream. Could you point me to it? Thanks.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Edited by Sand (04/25/08 10:05 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Snorkie new
      #328848 - 04/25/08 10:18 AM
Sand

As I said in my post to Wendy2, I can understand that there may occasionally be good reasons to mention being able to eat a trigger food. As long as the statement makes clear that this is not EFI approved and is only possible because the lucky poster is stable and can handle it, I don't see a problem with that.

What I object to is people who mention trigger foods only to encourage others to not worry too much about what they eat. And the constant repetition of these statements. Over and over and over. Sheesh. (Sorry. Mini-rant.) Ahem.

I'm not sure if you're trying to defend yourself, either, but for what's it worth you certainly don't stick in my mind as someone who takes the "don't pay too much attention to Heather's guidelines" approach to the Boards.

Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Snorkie new
      #328849 - 04/25/08 10:29 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Okay. Thanks for responding. I know there are a number of triggers I don't have too much trouble with. I tend to mention them only if a question comes up on the boards. I'm certainly not going to encourage people to go out and try them just because it's okay for me.

I understand about the things that get asked and answered over and over again. If I respond to those at all, it's brief.

I'm sure we all made mistakes when just starting the EFI diet, but I too just cringe when I read what some of the new folks are eating because I remember how I felt three years ago. It was miserable.

Re: For Wendy2 For Sand and Heather new
      #328850 - 04/25/08 10:36 AM
Wendy1234

Reged: 02/06/08

Sand, I do not know what to think of your post to me. I am not going to rat out the person who said they can eat pizza, but not ice cream. I have been posting for quite a while, but when I wrote that post I used a different computer that had a different handle (I didn't realize this until later).

I am sorry if what I've been saying has been confusing to some people. And quite frankly I don't want to post anymore. This is probably why people have been leaving the boards and you are left with negative people. It's not fair to be scrutinized over what I eat when I ask questions like everybody else.

Just because I can eat pizza (I don't get pepperoni, only black olives in case there was a question about that) does not mean I don't have ibs problems like everybody else on the board. I still have diarreah, constipation, stress, days of eating the "safe" foods send me to the bathroom, anxiety, just like you and everyone else.

This is pretty upsetting to me because I love this board. I ask legitimate questions that are important to me. I hope other people can learn, but I think we all know, even newbies, that our bodies are all different.

BTW, I have bought Heather's books, dvd, peppermint tea and acacia fiber. So the fact that I'm buying all of her items she is selling on the site does prove I have ibs, just in case you were wondering about that too. It's a shame I have to defend myself on what I can/cannot eat. I do follow the diet most of the time and I'm learning what I can eat. I think Heather's diet has been a big help.

Toady new
      #328851 - 04/25/08 10:38 AM
Sand

Thanks, Cassandra.

It is overwhelming sometimes, isn't it? The thought of even trying to help people sort things out with all the misinformation floating out there just makes me want to go lie down with a cold compress on my head.

I had to laugh at your rant about coffee. Mine is, "But can I eat cheese?" Seriously, though, I can live with newbies asking about coffee (or cheese) - I was totally clueless about how to do a Search when I first started on the Boards plus I had no idea how many topics were already covered. It does really bother me, though, when someone who's been on the Board for years brings it up. It's not like the information is going to have changed.

Popcorn. Oh, yeah, I love popcorn. And I feel so lucky I can eat it even though it's such a tough IF.

Again, thanks for responding. I really appreciate it.

--------------------

For Wendy1234 new
      #328852 - 04/25/08 12:10 PM
Sand

I wasn't asking you to "rat out" the person who said they could eat pizza but not ice cream. I was just curious because I remembered someone saying they could eat a little dairy but never ice cream and they figured out it was because the ice cream was cold. I wondered if the person you referred to felt cold was the problem, also. (What did you think I was going to with the information once you provided it, anyhow?)

As for the rest of your post, I have no idea what you're talking about and frankly I feel like I've landed in some alternate universe. I did not in any way single you out as someone who has been confusing people. As far as I knew the post I responded to was only your 3rd post ever and the first two were about peppermint capsules and organic food. I certainly did not suggest that you should not ask questions nor did I in any way, shape, or form imply that you didn't have IBS nor did I ask you to defend what you eat. All I said was that if you're going to post that you eat a trigger food, please make sure you clearly state that that food is not safe under Heather's guidelines. (I did assume you were stable - what with the pizza and all - and I suspect that is mostly why you're mad at me.)

I don't know what you mean about it not being fair for you to be scrutinized over what you eat when you ask questions. The point of the Diet Board is to help people figure out how to eat in accordance with the EFI Guidelines. If you post you're suffering from your IBS symptoms and say that you eat pizza with cheese, I'm going to try to help by pointing out that cheese is a trigger food and probably what's keeping you from feeling better. That's what the Boards are for.

That said, if you would prefer I personally never offer you advice when you post, that's fine - just say so. If you do not want any advice based on the EFI Guidelines when you post, then I suggest you say so in your signature line so everyone knows not to offer it.

And BTW -
Quote:

This is probably why people have been leaving the boards...

Care to explain this? Not the part where it's all my fault - I understand that - just a little backup to your claim that people anyone has, in fact, left the Boards because they're over-scrutinized.

--------------------

To everyone else... new
      #328853 - 04/25/08 12:14 PM
Sand

Thanks to all of you for responding so positively. I really appreciate the feedback. And it's nice to know I'm not totally on the fringe here.

Take care.

--------------------

Re: For Wendy1234 new
      #328854 - 04/25/08 12:28 PM
Wendy1234

Reged: 02/06/08

You are right Sand. You did not single me out exactly. But it seems whenever someone goes with something other than the diet, there is backlash. And not from you per se. I will be more careful, but honestly I probably won't post anymore. I do not want to deter newbies at all and they are the ones who need the most help. I am confused on what is acceptable questions/topics and what's not. Reading other posts people talk about things other than EFI diet. To the new people, sorry about confusing posts. The diet does work and it does take time. It's taken me more than three years and I'm still learning. Just hang in there.

Informative / corrections / different perspective new
      #328908 - 04/26/08 11:23 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Sand - I just returned from a wonderful driving holiday to the West coast. I read your informative and well written enabling posting. It is apparent that you are frustrated with postings of new comers that don't know the EFI diet. I empathize with this frustration.

Before making any observations I would like to correct the comments you made specifically about me.

I am a he not a she. It strange how some people on this board make assumptions without checking the facts.

Syl would not have said there is no evidence that dairy is a problem. He would have said there is limited evidence that proteins or other ingredients in dairy other than lactose is a problem for IBS suffers (e.g. see this message).

Syl would never have felt that the best way to do that is to clear up the pesky little unscientific problems with Heather's otherwise helpful approach. In fact, he feels that EFI diet is a wonderful place to begin to learn to manage IBS symptoms because generally speaking it follows the research finding. I always point IBS suffers that I meet on my travels to the EFI diet. However, IBS research has progressed and some new understandings have emerged. For example, limiting the consumption of IF is as beneficial for IBS-C as IBS-D. And IBS suffers have more problems with some short chained carbohydrates such as fructose and sugar alcohols that was originally thought to be the case. The later is evident from the number of IBS new comers to this board over the past year that have reported positive fructose malabsorption tests.

It is wonderful that there is a research library on this web site. Unfortunately, many members of the board don't have the training or knowledge to understand much of the material. It is important to interpret the library postings and other research findings even if they contradict the EFI guidelines so that each person can make up their own mind if they wish to use or ignore the new information.

Unfortunately, at least for me, if I had adopted the it works if you work it! without removing high fructose fruits, soya and a few other ingredients from the EFI diet I would still not be stable. And if I treated the EFI diet as a rules instead of guidelines I would not have experimented with a probiotic that contains a very small amount milk which over the past four weeks has made yet another remarkable improvement in my IBS symptoms. I will write more about it in a posting I will make later.

Keep up the great posts. However, please ensure you know the facts before you make comments about me and my position on the EFI diet.

Thanks Syl

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Informative / corrections / different perspective new
      #328914 - 04/26/08 12:22 PM
CarolynC

Reged: 03/11/08
Loc: Connecticut

What did you mean by:

"limiting the consumption of IF is as beneficial for IBS-C as IBS-D"

Thank you

--------------------
IBS-C with bloating and cramps
occasional type A

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2312 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9630

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review