All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
librax
      #328529 - 04/20/08 12:04 PM
stopper

Reged: 04/16/08

Does or has anyone taken this on a regular basis for IBS? Did it help? I'm not one to take med's but GI gave me a script & I'm a little cautious in trying it. I don't like to be sedated. thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: librax new
      #328556 - 04/20/08 09:41 PM
Laurastr1

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Chicago

I have it but have not take in months. You have to be careful with it because it has dependency issues if you take it long term. I actually got better results taking Heather's peppermint caps which have no addictive qualities.

--------------------
Laura
DX IBS 12/07
Following IBS Diet with Weight Watchers
Also GERD
Former cast iron stomach

#328565 - 04/21/08 06:13 AM
stopper

Reged: 04/16/08

Thanks for reply. I've tried the enteric coated peppermint but instead of dissolving in the colon it dissolved in my stomach. Everytime I opened my mouth I felt like I was breathing peppermint flames. It was very uncomfortable but was better than feeling drugged.

#328602 - 04/21/08 02:57 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Yes, I have taken Librax for several years. It has helped me tremendously. Stress is a big trigger for me so it helps that and also calms the tummy. I started taking it three times a day, one before each meal. Now I am doing so well I only take one in the morning, unless I'm really stressed and then I'll take two a day.

There is a possibility of addiction in some people but when I went from three pills to one it didn't bother me at all. I did it gradually, though.

I would suggest taking it on the weekend or when you don't need to go anywhere for a couple of days just to see what kind of reaction you get. It might make you kinda foggy at first but that goes away. If stress isn't a trigger for you then I wouldn't suggest you take it.

I've always been afraid of taking meds, too, but I'm so glad I took this one.

Barbie

--------------------

#330038 - 05/20/08 11:20 PM
chrislee

Reged: 12/30/07
Loc: california

i recently switched from bentyl to librax (the generic form). i was worried about the "sedative" but truth be told i dont notice much difference from the bentyl which made me tired.

the librax has been a much better option for me, and i am as close to normal again as i feel i have been in years. i used to take bentyl, drink peppermint tea because my tummy was always in pain- now with the librax i dont get the pain/bloating/discomfort as much. also use immodium when needed.

be careful and check the interactions, i noticed a very very weird nausea feeling/interaction with a low mg anti-depressant i was on for anxiety. also, alcohol can definitely intensify if on librax, but i found that to be true with bentyl.

i have been suffering for 10 years with IBS-D and only was recently (last year) diagnosed after taking every test under the sun.

this drug might not be for everyone but i can attest to its success with IBS. this is the most "normal" i have felt in years.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2016 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1615

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review