All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What do you eat at Chinese restaurants?
      #328414 - 04/18/08 03:38 AM
Kteach84

Reged: 03/31/08
Loc: MA

Hi all. I am pretty new to this board but I already love it! I have been trying out Heather's diet and things are actually going pretty well. It's funny how much work my mom had to do to get to me to go to wheat bread instead of white when I was in high school and now I'm resisting the switch back!

Anyways, last night my boyfriend and I went to our favorite Chinese restaurant and I had an eggroll and mushi chicken. I felt okay last night but I was pretty bloated and this morning things are not so good. I can't really give up Chinese entirely because my boyfriend LOVES this place (and already makes lots of other sacrifices for my tummy), any suggestions what I can eat next time to keep my stomach on track? Thanks!

--------------------
I am training for a Sprint Triathlon- Check out my Blog!
http://redsoxcap.blogspot.com/

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What do you eat at Chinese restaurants? new
      #328415 - 04/18/08 03:52 AM
jenUK

Reged: 12/01/07
Loc: warwickshire, uk

if i have one and i must admit i dont regulally i go for chicken fried rice no egg no sauce. its a bit plain but u feel like your having something and not missing out

--------------------
Ibs sufferer for 7 years !

#328419 - 04/18/08 05:50 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Some suggestions:

Start with a small bowl of plain white rice as an appetizer. The first few times you ask for this the server will look at you strangely; after that it's business as usual. This gets some SF in your tummy to start.

Make sure this restaurant doesn't use MSG. Where I live, ones that don't usually say so prominently on their menus. If you don't see that on the menu, ask. If the restaurant usually does use MSG, see if you can get your dish made without it.

You need to pick foods that are low in fat. Eggrolls are usually fried so they're out. I always order all-veggie lo mein and ask that the kitchen use as little fat as possible.

Here's an old post on Asian food with more suggestions for you to try:
Asian food

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#328422 - 04/18/08 05:58 AM

Unregistered

I ALWAYS order the steamed chicken and mixed vegetables with an extra order or white rice. They give me the garlic sauce on the side.

#328426 - 04/18/08 07:11 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

Excellent advice. I am soy intolerant as well as having trouble with MSG so I have to be very careful in Chinese places but it is possible. I have one restaurant that I order steamed rice, veggies and chicken and eat it "dry" because I can't tolerate any of their sauces. Pretty bland but I don't get sick!

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#328472 - 04/19/08 04:37 AM
Kteach84

Reged: 03/31/08
Loc: MA

Thanks for all the ideas. I'm happy to see mushi chicken on the list of things that are okay ) I guess I should've known a deep fried egg roll was not the best for me.

One more thing, what about teryaki sauce? I know that's Japanese but I was thinking maybe if I got chicken teryaki with white rice it would be safe. I may get the sauce on the side so I won't use a lot. What do you think?

--------------------
I am training for a Sprint Triathlon- Check out my Blog!
http://redsoxcap.blogspot.com/

#328487 - 04/19/08 12:42 PM
Laurastr1

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Chicago

I was just at the Chinese Buffet. I had teriyaki chicken, sautéed mushrooms, white rice, 1/2 an egg roll, and egg drop soup. For dessert I had an almond cookie. All was well with my tummy! I also did not go on an empty stomach. I had a little oatmeal at home first.

--------------------
Laura
DX IBS 12/07
Following IBS Diet with Weight Watchers
Also GERD
Former cast iron stomach

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1616 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1517

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review