All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
For anyone else that has difficulty with oatmeal
      #328354 - 04/17/08 04:10 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

So many of Heather's tips have worked for me and done a lot to decrease my pain and even a bit of the bloating. I've recently discovered, after looking through months of my food log, that I don't seem to be tolerating oatmeal very well. Every day that I eat oatmeal for breakfast, I get intense bloating and pain about 2:00-3:00 pm.

My question is this: How many other can't tolerate oatmeal? If you can't tolerate oatmeal, are there other "safe foods" you find you can't tolerate? Any "unsafe foods" you find you are able to tolerate?

I'm so tired of my backwards digestive system

--------------------
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For anyone else that has difficulty with oatmeal new
      #328366 - 04/17/08 06:34 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Oatmeal is one of those half and half foods - about half SF and half IF. It appears on the SF food list because even though it's half IF most IBSers can tolerate eating it as an SF food. That is, the IF that's in it is easy to handle.

That's not true for everyone, though. Based on the totally unscientific method of what I remember reading on the Boards, I'd say close to half the posters who've tried it have trouble with oatmeal especially as breakfast. So don't feel too weird.

Brown rice and corn meal are two other half and half foods that are on the SF list but I'm don't think that means they would necessarily be problems for you. I can use corn meal as my SF; don't do well with oatmeal; and have never tried brown rice (I hate it). It sounds like your food log is doing a great job of pinpointing your problem foods so rely on that.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#328367 - 04/17/08 07:05 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

I have the same problem with oatmeal. I eat cream of rice every morning and it doesn't cause me any trouble. It is available in the same location in the store as oatmeal.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#328371 - 04/17/08 08:00 AM
catnut

Reged: 04/08/07
Loc: Kentucky, USA

I use oatmeal for breakfast and I do ok with it. I do, however, add a Tblsp of Acacia fiber to it and use soy milk. I don't eat it every day as I had found in the past that it caused issues. I eat rice cereals and corn cereals both hot and cold. Many times I'm finding that I can eat something once or twice a week safely but no more than that.

--------------------
Catnut IBS-C for many years, finally diagnosed in 2005. Wheat and dairy sensative.

#328380 - 04/17/08 09:25 AM
Laurastr1

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Chicago

Oatmeal is my #1 easy on the tummy food. When I have problems, I live on oatmeal and bananas.

A food that has turned out to be a problem for me is soy milk substitues. I now use rice or almond.

IBS can vary so much individually. I have a friend that was just DX and she wanted to know what I eat but as I told her, what works for me might not work for you.

--------------------
Laura
DX IBS 12/07
Following IBS Diet with Weight Watchers
Also GERD
Former cast iron stomach

#328382 - 04/17/08 09:40 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Are you using the long cook oatmeal or an instant oatmeal with other ingredients? What do you eat with it?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#328383 - 04/17/08 11:22 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I am okay with oatmeal. Like Laura, it's one of my go-to foods when things are really bad.

The unsafe foods I can tolerate are pork and venison which are technically red meat. I can also tolerate quite a bit of fried food and Domino's pizza.

#328389 - 04/17/08 12:12 PM
Laurastr1

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Chicago

Quote:

I am okay with oatmeal. Like Laura, it's one of my go-to foods when things are really bad.

The unsafe foods I can tolerate are pork and venison which are technically red meat. I can also tolerate quite a bit of fried food and Domino's pizza.

Snorkie, do you eat the cheese on the pizza?

--------------------
Laura
DX IBS 12/07
Following IBS Diet with Weight Watchers
Also GERD
Former cast iron stomach

#328396 - 04/17/08 01:43 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Yes, I do. I don't know if it's soy cheese or what, but it doesn't bother me and who am I to argue with pizza if it's safe? I only tried it after I read here that it didn't bother some others and once I started to be stable.

The only other restaurant-ish pizza I've found that doesn't bother me is from a family place in Michigan where my folks live.

#328405 - 04/17/08 05:23 PM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

Just plain old rolled oats - the kind that come in the round cannister. I cook them with water and then add a bit of honey. Sometimes I add some blueberries before I cook it.

I tried the instant too, thinking maybe they're ground up finer so I could digest them better, but I had a hard time with them too...

--------------------
IBS-C

#328433 - 04/18/08 10:26 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I can't do oatmeal either it gives me horibble gas. I can't do cream of rice either it leaves me bloated and my tubby feels werid. I have not tried eating it any other time of day yet or in a cookie. I have tried the natural valley bars and they were worse on me than oatmeal. Its a shame cause after i tried (oatmeal) it I liked it. So your not alone.
emmasmom
ibs-c
gas

#328534 - 04/20/08 12:29 PM
catnut

Reged: 04/08/07
Loc: Kentucky, USA

Here's another idea to try. Because of my wheat sensitivity I've tried gluten free oatmeal and done just fine with it. I eat it every couple of days so as not to build up a sensitivity and for months now I've done well with it. It's another idea to the general Quaker oats. Bob's Red Mill has been a great find for me with so many IBS friendly and wheat free items.

--------------------
Catnut IBS-C for many years, finally diagnosed in 2005. Wheat and dairy sensative.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2012 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3609

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review