All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS better on holiday - why??
      #328277 - 04/15/08 04:32 AM
dlondon

Reged: 03/26/08

Hey

I noticed recently on holiday to NYC with my girlfriend, my IBS was so much better! I had some bad mometns but generally It was great. I certainly didnt have to stay in bed or have zero energy like i do at home. I took acacia everyday and ate a mixture of good and bad, including dairy and other stuff.

Im trying to work out why i was so much better over there. Was it a stress thing? Also I was walking a lot everyday, literally all day we would be on the streets walking (and shopping) - was that it? I cant possibly do that here, i have a normal desk bound job!

I wonder if anyone has had similar experiences?

D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS better on holiday - why?? new
      #328326 - 04/16/08 07:16 AM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

I find that I often do better on holidays and weekends, especially if I'm busy. It could be due to stress, or maybe at those times I am too preoccupied with other things (like seeing family over holidays) to give IBS symptoms a lot of thought.

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

#328331 - 04/16/08 10:56 AM
DeeSingleton

Reged: 01/11/05
Loc: Indiana, USA

I have sort of experienced the same thing....I came back from Chicago one trip and felt great, and realized I felt great while I was there also. I also walked EVERYPLACE! It really made me realize to be more active while at home.

Also, while I was in Italy for 12 days, walking EVERYPLACE again, I felt fine. I had less problems there and even ate a few things here and there that I normally wouldn't (not much, but I did eat some different things). I also have less bloating and more regular bowel movements when I'm more active at home.

#328429 - 04/18/08 08:30 AM
ianb

Reged: 01/27/08
Loc: Belgium

I went on vacation for a week to SF and a week LA, I had minor problems with IBS compared to when I'm at home. I to was walking everywhere. I even managed to eat a slice of pizza during the trip and even raviolli on the plane back with extra cheese. If I do this at home, I will regret it most definatly. So yes I definatly see there is a relation to walking alot and less symptoms for IBS. I'm not sure if it works for all types tho. I'm D and I think my colon goes in overdrive to much. Walking must be a way to reduce the focus on energy there.

#328769 - 04/23/08 11:38 PM
dlondon

Reged: 03/26/08

So it seems like its the combination of a lack of stress and the walking everyday that improves symptoms vastly. The challenge I find, is how to incorporate that into daily life!

Would going to the gym/walking everyday make a big difference? Has anyone found a significant change after aking up a new active lfestyle? And how do you do it when the reason you dont go gym/play football etc,is cos your stomach always feels sickly?

#328771 - 04/24/08 04:36 AM
Kteach84

Reged: 03/31/08
Loc: MA

Personally I have found the gym to be my new best friend when it comes to IBS. I have always been kind of an on again/off again gym go-er but I can't imagine every stopping now. The gym is the time I feel best during the day (weird I know) and my stomach stops hurting completely when I go. I also have that feeling like I have to go a lot of the time (annoying symptom) and it goes away when I do something active, even walking around a bit. Yesterday I took the day off from the gym and I had to go for a walk around 4 because my stomach was bothering me. I have also talked to several other people who have found working out helps them. I would definitely give it a try. I think the magic of walking (or something else active) is that it is active but also helps you manage stress. Can you walk to work (or park a mile away and walk) or walk during lunch? I'm not sure where you live by the weather is probably getting nicer so maybe you could wake up 25 minutes earlier in the morning and go for a walk? I definitely recommend fitting it into your day, it really works for me.

--------------------
I am training for a Sprint Triathlon- Check out my Blog!
http://redsoxcap.blogspot.com/

#328793 - 04/24/08 12:15 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

It could definitely been the combination of vacation and lots of walking. My IBS gets much worse when I don't exercise. Walking is great!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1482 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2070

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review