All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
5 years and still desperate!
      #327951 - 04/08/08 04:01 AM
dlondon

Reged: 03/26/08

Hey

I just wanted to know if anyone has had similar problems to me. Basically I have been diagnosed with IBS-d/c since 2003. I have done everything I can think of to alleviate the problem.

I have been to various Gastro-doctors, had all the tests, colonoscopy, endoscopy, camera pill in intestines(!), x rays, the works!
I have tried anti spasmonal drugs, anti depressants (to slow bowel not for depression or anything), herbal tablets, health shop products, everything! Nothing has ever worked!

I try to follow the IBS diet as close as I can. I have all the books. I take around 4/5 heaped tablespoons of heathers acacia fibre a day. I don't see any real improvements, I guess if I don't take it I do get constipated.

I have recently increased my exercise levels, thinking that would help - guess what no change! I've tried drinking loads of water and then less...no real change!

I'm just at the end of my rope and I don't know what to do. I feel this constant pain in the stomach, and constand discomfort is really bringing me down and affecting my life. All the time I have to cancel social things or going gym or meeting my girlfriend as my state can change so much.
I have even cut down smoking to little change.

Can anyone relate at all? Is there any respite or should I just stop looking? Major SOS here! :P

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: 5 years and still desperate! new
      #327971 - 04/08/08 10:00 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I relate 100%....but, unfortunately, have no advice for you as I am in the same boat. I don't know what to try next.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#327972 - 04/08/08 10:10 AM

Unregistered

How long have you been following the diet and taking Acacia?

#327977 - 04/08/08 10:16 AM
DeeSingleton

Reged: 01/11/05
Loc: Indiana, USA

Have you tried adding a little Miralax to your Acacia? I still have bad days/weeks (not many, but still have them), and when things weren't 'moving', I'd add it. Now, just to keep things moving, I add a litte Miralax every other night. Not much, just a little. Miralax can be bought over the counter now...(in the US I know).

#328233 - 04/14/08 09:19 AM
dlondon

Reged: 03/26/08

Thanks very much for the replies.

I have been taking Acacia for about 3 years now, and have been following the diet for the same time. I admit Im not very strict on it but I have cut out a lot of stuff and it doesnt seem to help.

I haven't tried Miralax...I dont generally consider myself to cbe ibs-c - although I do get bouts of it. Im mainly IBS-D. Although somes days can start off feeling very bloated and backed up, only for me to have crazy diarroeah by 4pm.

Im pretty much at the end now ready to give up, nothing seems to help.

#328237 - 04/14/08 09:58 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm sorry you're having such a terrible time. You could try posting what you're eating for a few days - maybe someone can spot something for you to try.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#328441 - 04/18/08 12:11 PM
Candy2

Reged: 04/09/08

Hi dlondon,

I haven't bought the Acacia powder yet but what has worked wonders for me is a product called AccuFlora. You take this once per day. The capsule is easy to swallow. It's good bacteria for your gut. You can find the website on Google. It is also available at Walgreen's.

I have also been sticking to the IBS diet the last month and that has cut way down on attacks.

I plan to buy the starter kit for IBS this week. I am IBC-C.

What also helps me is trying to stay calm no matter what life throws at me. I plan to buy a CD for relaxation soon.

Good Luck!

Edited by Candy2 (04/18/08 12:13 PM)

#328456 - 04/18/08 04:38 PM
CJIBSDG

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Idaho

dlondon, I can absolutely relate to what you're going through. Been there done everything you mentioned and alas, I've finally found something that has given me my life back!! Now I can eat and drink pretty much anything I want (with a few items that I'm still just too afraid to try). The only thing I've been doing for the past 2 months is taking a probiotic called Udo's Choice super bifido plus. I took 3 pills per day for the first month and noticed improvement within 2 days, by the 2nd week I became a 1 to 2 BM per/day kind of gal (like clockwork). I'm currently taking 2 pills/day and will continue on that dosage for 1 month, then I plan to drop it to 1 pill/day. This is actually my 2nd time taking this particular probiotic. I started it back in Dec. or Jan and took it for 1 month (noticed big improvement), but it's spendy so then I tried Align and was back to the same old problems so I then got back on Udo's.

Prior to taking Udo's, I was having 8 BM/day (typically in a 2 hour period) 3 to 5 days/week. After starting Heather's diet, this dropped down to 2 to 3 days/week then I was constipated the rest of the time. It was seriously affecting my work b/c I have to attend meetings etc. and was constantly having to get up and go - my supervisor was not impressed! As for social life, I made NO plans for anything b/c I never knew how I would feel. Work and home - that was my life. I've taken 2 trips in the past 2 months and am planning a 3rd in a couple of weeks. I make it work everyday, and can attend 2 hour meetings without having to run out of the room.

You can purchase this online and they'll ship it to you on ice: http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=3705630389853301316&at=0

I hope you'll give it a whirl, and wish you the best of luck!!

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

#328477 - 04/19/08 07:46 AM
Candy2

Reged: 04/09/08

Thanks, I went to this link and will check it out.

dlondon..... new
      #328490 - 04/19/08 02:09 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

How are you doing these days?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 980 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3490

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review