All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Weight Loss
      #327650 - 04/01/08 10:34 PM
Gbridelady

Reged: 05/30/07
Loc: Indiana

I was wondering if any of you have experienced problems with weight loss? I'm IBS-C and got the flu back in February and lost about 10 lbs. and it took 2 rounds of antibiotics to get well and 4 weeks to recuperate. I'm 5'10 and weigh about 120 lbs. so I can't afford to lose weight. I feel helpless because I can't eat fattening foods like I used to but I've been trying to eat more breads and pastas, etc. I bought some Ensure Plus and am drinking one can each evening to see if that will help. It is lactose free and has 350 calories in an 8oz. can. But the last few months I've been really stressed out over a lot of things, especially the weight loss, and now I'm feeling like I might be on the verge of depression. And I don't want to go there! I could really use some advice and support about now--can anyone relate to this?

--------------------
Gloria
IBS-C, lactose intolerant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Weight Loss new
      #327680 - 04/02/08 11:34 AM

Unregistered

I can certainly relate! I have lost alot of weight - I'm 5'4" and about 110 lbs. I would like to gain 10 lbs but it's been impossible! I have increased my carbs drastically but without being able to "indulge" in my old favorite trigger foods, I haven't had much luck. I can't offer any advice but just know that you're not alone

#327695 - 04/02/08 08:01 PM
Gbridelady

Reged: 05/30/07
Loc: Indiana

Thanks for the feedback. Sometimes it feels pretty lonely when the depression sets in, doesn't it? And I was looking over the label of the Ensure I have been drinking for the last week and noticed it uses artificial sweetener! My stomach has been cramping all week and BMs have been either complete C or going 3 to 4 times a day---geesh! Anyway, don't know if I should stop the Ensure if it's going to give me this much of a problem. My stomach and IBS have been doing pretty good considering all the stress I've been under. Guess I'll give it some serious thought.

--------------------
Gloria
IBS-C, lactose intolerant

#327701 - 04/03/08 05:25 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

I too can relate. I was going to suggest that Ensure might not be a good option but you have discovered that already. I make myself protein shakes once a day using almond breeze and rice protein powder (I can't do Soy). I also eat cream of rice and bread for snacks. I lost about 20 lbs. when I had my worst IBS spell of my life in early 2007. I am now relatively stable (still some cramping and occasional D but pretty good) but I haven't gained a pound. My husband thinks I am way too thin and I weigh more than you do. Eat safe foods as frequently as you can. Add sugar (it is safe) to everything you want to. Fix some IBS safe desserts and try not to worry about it. I have decided that weight is not too relavent as long as I feel good and have energy!

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#327771 - 04/04/08 08:30 AM
WRO1

Reged: 04/03/08

Since I started to watch what I eat so as to aleviate some of the bloating and pain, I seem to be losing weight. I found myself on a cornflakes and soy milk diet with a banana thrown in at breakfast, lunch and dinner!! People are starting to say to me "girl, you've lost some weight recently..can't tell you have 3 kids!!" It rattles me a bit when I hear that since my scale tells me it is only a little bit and not a lot. I am almost 6ft tall , so I guess any weight I lose will make me look like a pole!! I have started now to include the soluble foods into my diet one at a time along with a little insoluble fiber foods. I can't wait until this weekend when I try out some of these recipes I just found on this site.

#327817 - 04/04/08 07:29 PM
Laurastr1

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Chicago

I have experienced weight loss but for me it's a good thing. I had originally lost 88lbs on WWs, then over the course of a few years gained back 50. Having IBS caused me to start losing weight but once I got myself stablized I continued in a healthy way losing. I am now 4lbs from my all time low and still need to lose at least another 50lbs. IBS is a bit of a blessing for me as all the old trigger foods that threw me off plan are very bad for IBS so having IBS makes it easier to stay on my eating plan.

I wish I could donate 10lbs to all of you!

--------------------
Laura
DX IBS 12/07
Following IBS Diet with Weight Watchers
Also GERD
Former cast iron stomach

#327843 - 04/05/08 10:10 AM
lissylou73

Reged: 06/20/06
Loc: West Virginia (IBS G&P)

I'm the opposite. All of the "diet" foods (salads, raw veggies, fruits, sugar-free foods) are off-limits, so it's been harder to lose weight. I don't really need to lose a lot...maybe around the 10 pounds the rest of you are looking for

--------------------
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
Albert Schweitzer

#328177 - 04/12/08 09:16 PM
LindaLouise

Reged: 07/20/03
Loc: Toronto, Canada

I can entirely sympathize with the unwanted weight loss. I also lost a lot of weight when I stopped eating so much fat when I developed IBS and went on Heather's diet. I stabilized a couple of years ago at about 129 lbs. at 5'7." Thin but okay. Even though I eat a lot of carbos and sugar, it doesn't affect my weight. Then recently, due to heart problems, I began an intensive cardio program, and the weight began going dow again. Yikes! So I am also looking to find a way to put on some pounds. I had also thought of protein powder if I can find one that is safe. Meanwhile, I am going to moderate my exercise as too thin is not great for health. I hope others will share anything they've found that helps, as will I!

#328179 - 04/13/08 05:04 AM
tc2004

Reged: 05/26/04
Loc: Texas

I totally understand how you feel. I also need to gain weight I'm not as tall as you I'm only 5'1 and right now only weigh
86 pounds and can not seem to gain any back. I'm going to try rice protein powder with almond milk to if that helps me gain weight. Good Luck to you

Terry

#334146 - 08/06/08 06:27 PM
mom2megnwy

Reged: 07/06/08

Glad to hear others have this problem. I've been diagnosed for 10 years, but recently found Heather's site. I'm 5'2 and weigh about 102 on a good day. I have IBS-D so whenever I have an attack I lose more weight. I'm still trying to figure out some of my trigger foods; I eat a lot of soy products and now I'm wondering if that's causing my D still. I've taken Elavil for several years to help control my D but went off of it because of too much weight gain--I was 125 even with eating well and walking daily. I'd love to hear any advice on gaining weight.

#335654 - 09/04/08 02:01 PM
HOPE 1

Reged: 05/28/07
Loc: Ohio

Wow!! I'm on the other side of the fence. I have not lost weight and would really like to. I wonder what I'm not doing. alot of times i just dont want to eat at all espeacially if i have to go out but i'm diabetic. so i have to, to keep from getting sick. this is tricky and sad.

--------------------
SHORTY

#335657 - 09/04/08 02:32 PM
caitlineb

Reged: 07/01/07
Loc: bay area, CA

I lost a few pounds since cutting out dairy, red meat, etc. My family members commented on it! They said I looked sickly. The only way I was able to gain weight was... I started a new birth control. Go figure. I didn't change my diet or anything. But the weight only seems to migrate to my stomach, so the weight gain wasn't evenly distributed! Oh well, it is better that I now weigh around 120 instead of 112 (I'm 5'8'').
How many calories are you intaking on average? Maybe you can gain weight by upping the calories. As long as you don't up BAD calories. I am still plagued with D, which could definitely make a person lose weight, but my weight doesn't seem to be dropping anymore.
Good luck!

--------------------
"I have no patience for lactose. And I won't stand for it." -Jerry Seinfeld

#335682 - 09/05/08 07:11 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I have the same problem, im like 5'2 and like 90 pounds and everyone tells me im too thin and it drives me crazy. I love to exercise alot also. Ive been a runner my entire life so once I lose weight its hard to put it back on. The only time in my life I was able to gain weight was when I was put on ZOloft for anxiety. I dont know if thats a coincidence or what. But I find the only way for me to keep exercising and not lose weight is to eat poptarts because they are pretty high in calories and althought they have some high fructose they dont usually bother me. I buy the lower fat brown sugar ones. Maybe that woudl work for you?

#335715 - 09/06/08 08:46 AM
PITA

Reged: 01/04/04

I too have lost alot of weight- cause I have cut out so many foods- yes it is depressing- have you had a colonoscopy? Have you spoken to your dr about
medication??? let's keep in touch- maybe we can help each other.

#335727 - 09/06/08 10:59 AM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

I've been losing weight as well. Around 8 pounds over the last six weeks. I think because I've cut out a lot of fatty foods. However the weight loss seems to have stabilized at 130 pounds. I've been scanning the recipe book for high calorie foods. I particularly like the banana carob shake in the recipe book. It's fairly high in calories while still being IBS safe.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

#335752 - 09/07/08 08:16 AM
Jenny B

Reged: 03/27/07
Loc: Montana

I can relate to the weight loss. I am 5 ft 2 in and right now I weigh about 100 pounds. If I could 4 or 5 pounds I would be thrilled. And it seems like I can't gain weight around my rib cage area...I don't know why.

But I try to keep the calories coming by drinking Odwalla Protein drinks, they are made with soy and I think they taste great. I also try to put as much Earth Balance on bread and pasta as I can.

I hope everyone hangs in there!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 331 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6579

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review