All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Apparently I really just can't do fruit...
      #327541 - 03/31/08 11:55 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I thought I'd try incorporating some fruit into my diet since I've been pretty stable lately. I bought some unsweetened fruit cups (the fruit salad type). I had one on Saturday and had a pretty soft, urgent BM Sunday morning. Not ready to give up so quickly, I had another fruit cup Sunday evening and had another urgent, soft BM this morning.

Good thing I take a multivitamin I guess....

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Apparently I really just can't do fruit... new
      #327544 - 03/31/08 12:01 PM

Unregistered

Have you tried mixing them with something? The only fruit I have tried (besides bananas) are blueberries or raspberries and I mix them in with my oatmeal every morning....

#327547 - 03/31/08 12:21 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Fruit cups contain things like apples, pears and melons which are high in fructose. You might try bananas, kiwi and some types of berries which have less fructose than glucose.

Figure 2 in the second article in this message has a good overview of the guidelines for eating low fructose foods.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#327549 - 03/31/08 12:22 PM
Wendy1234

Reged: 02/06/08

Join the club. I have not been able to find any fruits that don't hurt me in some way. Either I get bloated or nauseated. I still havent' tried putting fruits in a smoothie. I'll try that.

Can Peaches new
      #327557 - 03/31/08 01:37 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

What about can peaches? I have been able to handle them. I just buy the low syrup kind then run them under the water before i eat them. I begining to think I can't do can pears though. Hope this helps.
emmasmom
ibs-c
gas

#327559 - 03/31/08 01:48 PM
Erilyn

I know I can eat bananas just fine. I also seem to be able to handle most other fruits as long as they are in small quantities - that's why I thought the fruit cups would be okay.

Sometimes I think I've confirmed my suspicion that I can't handle fructose, and other times I'm not sure. A week ago I ate half of a peeled apple and seemed to be fine. But these fruit cups don't seem to like me at all. I wonder if it would help to drain the juice like emmasmom suggested...?

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.

#327569 - 03/31/08 02:47 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Yes - draining the juice will reduce the amount of free fructose. They tend to use pear and apple juice in fruit cups and they are high in free fructose. Give it a try. It is the only way to determine the fructose load you can handle

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: check the ingredients new
      #327584 - 03/31/08 07:22 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

alot of the unsweetened fruit cups that I have seen have sucralose or other artificial sweeteners added into them, that could be what is triggering you if they do

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Re: check the ingredients new
      #327634 - 04/01/08 02:06 PM
Erilyn

I realize I put "unsweetened" in my first post. They aren't actually unsweetened - one is packed in "light syrup" and the other in fruit juice. Either way, I'm afraid to touch either of them again so now they belong to hubby! I'll stick to my bananas and fruit jams (which I seem to be fine with).

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 333 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1760

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review