All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Reached the End of My Rope! And Now Reaching-Out to You All for Help!!!!!
      #327136 - 03/24/08 11:39 PM
journeying2healthy

Reged: 03/24/08
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hey all...
I've been told by my doctor that I have IBS however it is just speculatory(no tests have been done) - Not to say that I may not have it. It IS certain that there is most definitely SOMETHING wrong with my GI tract. I go through cycles of diarrhea/constipation, which is more commonly chronic constipation. I recently was in the hospital with terrrrrible pain from severe constipation, a problem which took a week of starving and tons of laxatives to fix. The constipation has been a problem I've been having since I was a kid, and this isn't the first time I ended-up in the hospital because of the pain....Yet doctors don't seem to want to help me, and act as if I'm bothering them somehow when I ask them to TEST ME for any ILLNESSES! I just want to know WHAT is wrong....I appeal to my doctors for help but they treat it like it's no big deal and whenever I'm having a lot of trouble, prescribe me laxatives and enemas. At the hospital I had to literally force the doctor to take an X-Ray, something she thought wasn't really necessary(although I was having the worst pain I've EVER felt!).. I'm sick of it. And I'm sick of the health care I get in my country(Canada - where health care is free, and you get what you PAY FOR!). I'm currently waiting on an appointment with a gastroenterologist, and have been waiting for months.
In the meantime, life is hell.....Literal HELL. I fast for two days, then for a day I eat...Then I fast for two days. It's the only way I can feel somewhat normal and free of pain. In the past, this lead to me a pretty bad eating disorder....And the fasting cycle makes me feel horrendous, because I'm hyperglycemic.
As for the IBS-diet for constipation that I read about on here, it would totally aggravate my insulin-resistance/hyperglycemia. "White food" as well as most fruits give me massive headaches and make me feel bloated. I've read about Elaine Gottschall a little bit, and how a low-carb approach can be helpful for those with IBS....But I always read advice online that advises against this. Why is that?????
I've been a low-carber for a long time, eat tons of vegetables, mostly natural foods, and eat CLEAN...So what's the deal?? Oh also...Psyllium and other fibre-supplements always makes the problem worse. Have you ever heard of something like that??? I tell the doctors about it and they tell me I'm nuts. So I have been taking psyllium + inulin anyways and recently cut it out because taking it makes me want to crawl into a hole and DIE.
So....Is there really no diet for me that will help? Because I'm beginning to feel that way.
Please forgive me for the long post, I'm brand new! And this is my last desparate attempt to find some sort of direction Living this way is driving me absolutely insane and it feels like it has already, in many ways, succeeded in ruining my life...
...Thanks in advance for ANY help. I truly appreciate it.

--------------------
Much blessings to everybody for good health and true happiness ~ Jaya

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Reached the End of My Rope! And Now Reaching-Out to You All for Help!!!!! new
      #327145 - 03/25/08 07:25 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm sorry you're having such a terrible time. You're absolutely right to insist on having tests down. There are other conditions that can mimic IBS and you need those eliminated before an IBS diagnosis can be made.

In the meantime - while you're waiting for your GI appointment - maybe you could do some more reading about Heather's approach to IBS. In particular, if you've only learned about it through these Boards you don't have the whole picture. If you do more reading she explains why "I've been a low-carber for a long time, eat tons of vegetables," and taking psyllium and inulin may not be the best approaches even for constipation.

Here are some links to try:

Diagnosing IBS - This is a list of the conditions that should be eliminated and the tests that should be done before IBS can be diagnosed

Old post of mine - This points you to the information on the Website *outside* these Boards that will give you the basics on Heather's approach

What about diabetes? - This is a FAQ where Heather talks about using her approach if you have diabetes. This should address some of your concerns about your blood sugar issues.

Soluble Fiber Supplements - Heather describes the various SFS. As you'll see, psyllium is part IF which may be irritating to your gut; inulin can cause bloating in some people.

I hope some of this helps. Good luck with your GI when you finally get to see him.

Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Reached the End of My Rope! And Now Reaching-Out to You All for Help!!!!! new
      #327164 - 03/25/08 01:50 PM
journeying2healthy

Thank you so much for all the info!!!!! I knew, I just KNEW that psyllium and inulin weren't right for me. It just infuriates me that the doctor would tell me to, "just keep taking it and things will get better".
About the glycemic concerns, unfortunately that page doesn't address my problem, as hyperglycemia is like the opposite of diabetes. So wheat, corn, anything with starch makes me feel sluggish and makes my head hurt. Contrary to the dietary restrictions for those with IBS, I find that fat doesn't seem to negatively effect me, even helps my condition and eases the constipation somewhat. I've noted some people saying things like "it's good to eat oilier foods to oil the bowels". Is there any truth to that??
It's so tough to figure.....And the doctors don't make it any easier. I'm considering even going to one of the Mayo Clinics in the U.S. and paying the big bucks to do it, just so I can get some decent medical attention, and a proper diagnosis.

--------------------

IBS-Cs jumping in would be helpful here (m) new
      #327166 - 03/25/08 02:26 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Several things.

First, I'm a little confused about your blood sugar issues because I thought hyperglycemia was a kissing cousin to diabetes - they're both high blood sugar conditions - while hypoglycemia is a low blood sugar.

Second, when you say that some people say to eat fat to oil the bowels you're mixing apples and oranges. Heather's approach is based on not irritating the digestive system so it will calm down and work more smoothly. That means a base of Soluble Fiber combined with safe protein and enough IF for good health and to keep things moving. She recommends a low level of fat because fat is a big IBS trigger. Other people recommend other approaches but it's not very helpful to mix and match since Heather's approach is a co-ordinated one.

Third, doctors. Here's a link to a long thread about good doctors: web page. You can dig through it and see if there are any doctors near you. You'll also notice that in the first post - by Heather - she mentions Dr. Lucy Harris who moved to the Mayo Clinic in Arizona (I don't know if she's still there or not).

I hope some of this helps. I put something in the subject line that might get you more responses from people with C.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: IBS-Cs jumping in would be helpful here (m) new
      #327175 - 03/25/08 03:46 PM
amyleanne

Reged: 02/22/08
Loc: Canada

Wow! It sounds like you've been having a terrible time. It also sounds like you have been dealing with some terrible doctors on top of it. What kind of doctor refuses to test their patients?
I live on the east coast of Canada and my doctors(GI and GP) have been great. I've been tested for everything under the sun. I think you should just ditch the doc you've been dealing with and find someone a little more empathetic.
Like you, I always had a problem with irregularity but, until recently, it has been much worse in the last two years. Have you tried stool softeners? They are not the same as stimulant laxatives and don't cause dependency. You should ask a doctor or pharmacist before you start taking them. In addition to this, drink water! Tons and tons of water! 2 to 3 liters a day at least and consider adding a soluble fiber supplement to your diet. I had been using Benefiber before I switched to Acacia. I take it 3 times a day a half hour before I eat. This had made a HUGE difference. I know it seems hopeless now but I've felt the same way. I used to go days and days without having a BM and the pain would bring me to my knees. Now I have a BM almost every day.
In regards to the diet... I was skeptical at first as well. The white breads and rice did make me bloated for a few days but my body did adjust to it. Now I swear by them. I really think you would benefit from trying it for a few days. Do you think it's possible for you to feel any worse? You don't have anything to loose. Also, be patient. There is no quick fix. Don't quit if you don't feel better right away. It takes time for your stomach to "calm down." You may also want to consider cutting the fruit out of your diet for a few days and see how you feel. I used to eat tons of it thinking it would help but it actually made me worse. I can eat some fruit like melon, peaches, mangos, and some berries but apples and oranges KILL me. I would assume this is because of the acid content. Eat bananas instead!
Sorry this is such a long winded post but I have just one more thing to add... I used to fast the same way that you do. You feel "good" for a couple days cause your bowel and stomach is empty... so you eat(the wrong foods). Then you stomach and bowel are full and you have a few bad days... then you don't eat. This is terrible for your body. I lost about 15 lbs doing this and for someone who is 4'11 and weighs about 95 lbs this is not a good thing. So I was down to about 80lbs of skin and bones. You also mentioned that you are hypoglycemic. This method of eating would be very bad for anyone with this condition. You need to be eating regularly to see any improvements at all.
I hope this helps you a least a little bit. Just know that there are people that understand what you are going through. You can come to the message boards whenever you need to vent your frustrations and know that at least 1 other person will know what you are going through. Complain away!!!
All the best

--------------------
*Amy*

#327186 - 03/25/08 07:46 PM
journeying2healthy

Thank you so much for the supportive words!!!! So very encouraging!!!!
It seems as though every doc I go to treats the irregularity as if it's not a huge deal and I'm making too much of it...Yet they have no way of knowing that it's "just nothing" because they don't test me for anything. I really hate all the doctors here....They're just....Morons.
Oh and I'm hypERglycemic, not hypOglycemic. I noticed that was causing some confusion.. Meaning that my blood sugar is naturally pretty high, so sugars and carbs make me feel horrible. Fruits I don't eat anyways(the sugar gives me headaches).
And I am DEFINITELY going to try the acacia. I'm heading-out to get some tomorrow(we had a terrible snowstorm today). I'd buy it off this site but I have no creditcard So there's this all-natural acacia I found at the GNC in the Fiber 35 Diet line of products...Gonna give it a try, hoping it'll help me some.
I've taken stool softeners(Ducosate Sodium and sometimes Senokot-S which is stool softener with some sennoside, not much though) and am currently taking them on the days I actually eat - hah! Yeah I know fasting is stupid and a sure way to a state of malnutrition...It just makes things so much easier, temporarily....Til I get dizzy. Ugh. This is so not a way to live.

--------------------

#327203 - 03/26/08 07:52 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

The white breads and rice did make me bloated for a few days but my body did adjust to it. Now I swear by them

They honestly don't increase your C? How often do you eat them? Do you limit them?

And the bananas too? How do you get your IF in order not to be so C????

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#327206 - 03/26/08 08:44 AM
amyleanne

I eat IF too but I always make sure to have white pasta or rice as a base. I'll have cooked veggies with rice and pasta sauce. I recently started adding a little bit of bran cereal to my regular cereal in the morning. This helps a lot too.
When I initially started to stabalize I cut out all IF and only had SF in the form of white breads and rice etc and it actually gave me D for a while. Once I added the veg it improved quite a bit.

--------------------
*Amy*

#327208 - 03/26/08 09:45 AM
Jordy

Do you have white rice and/or pasta/white bread for every meal every day? It seems like if I have white rice one day, the next I am C. I can't believe you went D!

Thanks...oh, what kind/how much of bran cereal do you add to your regular cereal (and what kind is that)?

Thanks so much. Oh, how much Acacia are you taking? Can you tolerate any fruits?

--------------------

PS new
      #327219 - 03/26/08 10:13 AM
Jordy

Sorry so many questions!

--------------------

#327221 - 03/26/08 10:16 AM
amyleanne

Yes I do have a least a little bit or rice or pasta with almost every meal. If I don't have it with a meal I will have a piece of bread before I eat. How much water are you drinking? I drink about 2 liters a day.
Right now I am only adding about a tablespoon of bran to my cereal. This was suggested by one of the people here on the boards. I plan on slowly increasing the amount.
I'm taking 3 teaspoons of acaia a day. I take it when my stomach is empty before I eat.
Friuts are kind of sketchy right now. I can't eat it on an empty stomach and I cannot eat oranges or apples... Too much acid. I can eat melon, peaches, and some berries after a meal.
Hope this helps you

--------------------
*Amy*

#327235 - 03/26/08 11:38 AM
Jordy

Quote:

tablespoon of bran to my cereal

Is this pure wheat bran...like a powder?

Maybe I'm just eating too much white rice with a meal. I eat 1/4 cup dry, which is one serving, though. I have to find my own system, but it's hard and I just want to copy someone else's who has C and finding relief!

Whoa, I am not drinking enough at all!

--------------------

#327243 - 03/26/08 12:47 PM
amyleanne

I'm sorry to hear you're having such a problem with you C. I used to be the same way. I can still get really bad C if I'm not careful.
I use All Bran cereal in the morning. It's 100% bran cereal and it looks like little twigs(and tastes like it too) I started this week with 1 tablespoon on rice krispies and soy milk. I'm going to increase this by a tablespoon every week. Don't forget WATER WATER WATER! I used to hate drinking it too... but you do get used to it
Feel free to email me at amypetro84@yahoo.ca if you have any other questions

--------------------
*Amy*

That is so nice of you! new
      #327249 - 03/26/08 01:26 PM
Jordy

I would love to talk more with you, especially about the veggies that you find most helpful and tolerable.

Thank you for being so willing to offer help!

BTW, did you realize that Fiber One has artificial sweetener in it?

--------------------

Re: That is so nice of you! new
      #327250 - 03/26/08 01:41 PM
amyleanne

Feel free to email me with any questions. The diet has really helped me.
I don't use Fiber One. I use All Bran. If it has artificial sweetners in it... I didn't notice. There's probably not enough to bother my stomach

--------------------
*Amy*

#327260 - 03/26/08 02:34 PM
Jordy

All Bran has artificial sweetener in it too.

--------------------

#327265 - 03/26/08 02:45 PM
amyleanne

You are right... I just checked it now. It doesn't bother my tummy though and mine is pretty sensitive. You can get organic bran cereal in the health food stores and in the health section of any grocery store.

--------------------
*Amy*

What to do about all the gas! new
      #327287 - 03/26/08 06:06 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I am ibs-c and I go about every 2 days and witch is a whole lot better than when I started on here but the gas is killing me. I take beano drink fennel tea and theres stil gas. I have had this same stomach ache now for the last 24 hrs and its all gas.. what to do i just want rid of it. I may go 2 or 3 days with out gas then go 3 or 4 with nothing but gas and gas cramps and pain any help would be appericated thanks!
emmasmom
GAS !!!

Re: I think I know what might help! new
      #327293 - 03/26/08 07:36 PM
journeying2healthy

Ooooh I think I've got something for you that has DEFINITELY helped me a GREAT DEAL!!!!!
Dill seeds!!! It's the main ingredient in gripe water, used to relieve colic(gas pain) in infants.
It's also prescribed in ayurvedic medicine to relieve gas, and my Indian grandmother always gave it to me as a child for stomachaches/gas tension.
What I do is I boil dill seeds and add the water to fennel tea, but when it's real bad I'll take the raw seeds, chew em up real well(tastes kinda nasty but it really works) and follow with a lot of water.
Try it, it really does work! Also, you may want to give gripe water a try. You need a LOT more than an infant would need, but I've definitely heard of adults taking gripe water for relieving gas pain.
Also, beano won't do anything but prevent flatulence. It doesn't do anything for the gas that is trapped already in the intestine, causing the pain. Simethicone is probably a better gas medication if anything(I was told by a pharmacist that it would prevent trapped gas) but beano prevents the fermenting process that causes flatulence. I'm pretty sure it doesn't stop gas pain though.
Hope this helps!!!!!!! And let me know if dill helps you! I'm almost certain it will!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------

#327509 - 03/31/08 06:22 AM
Ms.Major

Reged: 01/17/07

I am most curious about trying the gripe water. I will get gaseous at random times of day--usually when I get really stressed. I am not a fan of the fennel tea, but if that is what I need to use with the dill seeds then I will. Could I put the boiled dill seeds in with other caffeine free tea like chamomiele (sp?)? I have looked on-line at different places to purchase gripe water too. Do you know if Whole Foods or other stores carry it? Thanks for this piece of information.

#327518 - 03/31/08 09:08 AM
prissy

Reged: 01/08/08
Loc: n.c

Hey thanks for the info my husband is on his way to our health food store to get some gripe water for me i'll try anything at least once.

Can I still email you? new
      #327526 - 03/31/08 09:47 AM
Jordy

BTW, which All Bran do you buy? They have original, buds, xtra fiber....The regular has high fructose corn syrup.

--------------------

I can't find dill seeds new
      #327527 - 03/31/08 09:48 AM
Jordy

Only dill weed.

--------------------

Look in the spice section at the grocery store - nt - new
      #327531 - 03/31/08 10:02 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

I did....and the stores haven't carried it-nt new
      #327536 - 03/31/08 10:49 AM
Jordy

--------------------

Strange - it carried by most grocery stores here -nt- new
      #327537 - 03/31/08 11:10 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Can I still email you? new
      #327551 - 03/31/08 12:36 PM
amyleanne

I buy the regular and any HFCS in it doesn't bother me... And yes you can still email me

--------------------
*Amy*

RE; journeying2healthy new
      #327580 - 03/31/08 06:06 PM
prissy

Hi my husband picked me up some Baby's Bliss Gripe Water today and it is really good, so far it has done well for me.. It is distributed by MOM Enterprises,inc I think it will be worth you trying it. I'm not saying i still don't have alittle gas i do but it isn't like it was..

I too am like you i seem to keep the gas if i don't eat i seem to be fine but when i do i feel like i blow up, i can feel the gas rolling around in my instines but i really feel it in my upper stomach and i feel like i alwys have a big gas pocket in my left stomach area.. I'm not sure how your's is but i do know that today has been a much better day for me. I tend to worry alot so i know that doesn't help me. There is a web site you can look at www.blissbymom.com i wish you luck.. prissy

#327623 - 04/01/08 12:39 PM
journeying2healthy

I have never seen gripe water in a health food store, but literally any drug-store or supermarket would carry it in the pharmacy section or baby-care section. It's widely available. It's a baby product so look for it wherever baby medications would be, usually in a clear bottle and it's a clear liquid. Note that you'll have to drink quite a bit of it, but I don't mind, I like the taste hehehe...
The dill water, I've used it pretty much all types of tea...Green tea, chammomile tea, peppermint tea. I think whatever way(in a caffeine free way) that tastes best to you would be beneficial, so long as it's warm and it's getting the beneficial dill ingredient into your system.
If the gas is particularly hurting you, I'd recommend chewing-up the raw seeds if you don't mind the taste, and chugging some water afterwards. Trust me, the taste is totally overrideen by the fact that it is SO very effective for gas pain.
Hope this helps you!

--------------------

Head to an indian grocery store! new
      #327627 - 04/01/08 12:45 PM
journeying2healthy

I have never looked for it in any store because I always get it from indian grocery stores. Ask them for raw dill seeds, and in my language it is called "soo-ah"(literal pronounciation), so if they don't know what you're talking about, say "sooah seeds" and they should know what you're talking about. It's also better to get spices and herbs from indian groceries cause they're usually much cheaper there! Keep looking for dill, cause I swear...It is THE BEST for gas pain and very likely to help you!

--------------------

Re: RE; journeying2healthy new
      #327629 - 04/01/08 12:50 PM
journeying2healthy

If the gripe water helps, then raw dill seeds could work wonders for you! It's much more potent and faster acting, in my experience.
Try the raw dill, and if that doesn't make a huge difference you could go back to the gripe water, and it might be an indication that the sodium bicarbonate/fennel oil are what's helping also.
I definitely get the upper-bloat like you described. I realllllllllllllly hate it...Combined with C it is absolutely crippling! But dill seed has proven to totally resolve all my gas issues. I'm now working on the C problems, which is for me, the most difficult part!

--------------------

Re: RE; journeying2healthy new
      #327633 - 04/01/08 02:04 PM
prissy

Are the dill seeds something i can go buy at the groc store or do i have to go to a health food store.. I still have some gas and also that gas pocket i feel in my left stomach area.. I feel pretty good if i don't eat and then when i do i feel gas really bad and my stomach makes all this noise kinda like i'm gonna have to go to the b/room but i don't go.. But like i said yesterday i'll try anything once. Thanks Prissy

Try looking for dill seeds @ an Indian grocery store new
      #327639 - 04/01/08 02:38 PM
journeying2healthy

I wrote a bit about that in another post in the thread, somebody said that they find it in the spices section at the grocery store, but if you can't find em there try an indian grocery. I've always gotten mine at indian grocery stores.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1360 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8219

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review