All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I Don't Think Hubby Can Eat Another Piece of Chicken or Fish - HELP!
      #326915 - 03/20/08 01:04 PM
Susie2

Reged: 08/07/06
Loc: Pomona California

My DH has been really wonderful in supporting me and my IBS. He doesn't complain about what I cook, but I know he is getting sick of chicken and fish. Right now I am exhausted from taking care of my daughter and trying to eat what I need to eat. I usually cook because I get sick from most restaurant or take out food. These last two days I simply ran out of energy - had no left over safe food to bring with me or eat when I came home (I've been cooking whatever my daughter feels like at her house and she refuses to eat anymore chicken or fish) and I ate so poorly that I am paying the price today. Also think i"m stressed out. I can barely think of going to the market and making one dinner tonight, something nice, nourishing and IBS safe (plus I am diabetic) let alone cooking him something nice. What do you girls do? Do you cook separately for hubby and kids?

Don't you sometimes wish you could you could eat a juicy grilled steak, salad with blue cheese dressing, creamed spinach, and a yummy piece of cheese cake for dessert? And have someone else prepare it. And not be sick afterward.

Susie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I Don't Think Hubby Can Eat Another Piece of Chicken or Fish - HELP! new
      #326917 - 03/20/08 01:09 PM
Wendy1234

Reged: 02/06/08

I can't help on this, but I am very curious to see what people say. My fiance eats no veggies/likes fast food, pizza, etc...and he is tired of ground turkey that I cook! You are not alone Susie.

#326926 - 03/20/08 01:35 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I tend to be of the "if you don't like it, fix your own dinner" school of thought.

That being said, my husband is pretty tolerant so long as I don't feed him fish too often. He now actually likes ground turkey more than hamburger!

Say, what about doing foil dinners? You could put chicken in yours and a pork chop in your husbands. There's directions over on the recipe board.

#326927 - 03/20/08 01:43 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Fortunately my hubby hasn't complained yet. He still goes out for fast food for lunch occasionally or has pizza at work on pizza days. We've gone over to friends' places for dinner a few times and then he has whatever they prepare (usually BBQ'd steak) while they are kind enough to make chicken for me. Plus I try to keep as much variety in our menu as possible - for the first month or so on the diet I was making the same old things over and over, but now I make lots of different things.

Try some different IBS-safe marinades and seasonings for chicken and fish. Try different fish or seafood - I like salmon (prepared several different ways), the breaded Highliner Healthy Bake frozen fillets, shrimp/prawns, scallops, etc. Use ground turkey to make your favourite ground beef dishes - meatballs, meatloaf, shephard's pie, etc. Try vegetarian substitutes - the Yves Veggie Cuisine Veggie burgers are quite good - even hubby likes them.

If all else fails, throw a steak on the barby for hubby and grill something safe for yourself!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#326935 - 03/20/08 03:19 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Oh Susie I sympathize with you!! I have to cook 2 protein sources most of the time at my house.

Here's what I do, and it may help you.

On the weekend I make a couple big meals - 1 with chicken (I don't handle fish well) and 1 pork or beef, specifically for the DH. Then, as there is enough meat cooked for 2 or 3 meals, we don't have to cook meat for a couple days. I'll eat leftover chicken breast in salad or wraps for lunch or reheat it with some sides for dinner. This way the hubby can have his red meat and pork fixes and I'm still safe. I would never even consider eating a piece of beef or pork now. I've been off of it over 15 years now, there's no turning back!

So, the rest of the week I'll make something we can share - ie stir fry and rice, spaghetti and sauce made with ground chicken, chicken chili, minnestrone soup (homemade of course). I have one huge advantage that my DH is not fussy when it comes to food.

He'll ask for meatloaf or sheppards pie and I'll buy him one from M&M Meats because I don't even know how to make them. He gets burgers in the summer and I have chicken burgers (not breaded), but a lot of the time he'll snag the second chicken burger I make as an extra and put a regular hamburger in the fridge as leftovers. In the winter I make him pizza every second Friday and it lasts him 2 to 3 meals too. I usually just have something else on Friday - leftovers if there's any left, or soup and toast. Even though my tummy's fussy, I don't consider myself a fussy eater. The only food I won't eat (ever!) is corn.

It is tough always planning 2 meals, but it's very doable for us. After 10 years together it's just habit to run to the freezer and fetch 2 meals out. This way I stick to the diet and he's not squawking because all we eat is chicken!

Best of luck to you.

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Edited by Toady (03/20/08 03:23 PM)

#326942 - 03/20/08 05:29 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Typically my husband and I eat around the same thing. Every once and a while I will make teriyaki chicken, carrots and rice and instead of the carrots and rice for my husband I will make french fries for him. Also on Fridays he buys Chipotle (oh how I miss Chipotle) for lunch and on the other days I make him a ham sandwich for lunch. He is trying to lose weight so it was his choice to eat what I eat. But some weeks it only lasts till Weds! I buy him Kilbasa a lot of times at the grocery store or some thin pork chops or steaks and just cook two meals. Cooking two meals isnt bad, its usually just a different meat. I dont really miss red meat cause I never used to eat much of it. I do however really miss cheesecake like you said. Oh how I miss cheesecake! My husband says that one night I should just stay at home eat Chipotle for dinner with real chips and salsa, drink a margarita and eat a nice big piece of White Chocolate Raspberry cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory and just sit in the bathroom and wait for it all to hit. Oh my poor innocent husband has no idea what IBS is really like!!

Stef

#326953 - 03/21/08 05:52 AM

Unregistered

I got creative with ground turkey! I make enchiladas and tacos and use that instead of ground beef. I also make a penne pasta bake and use crumbled turkey sausage instead of the beef. Jennie-O has a turkey loin (my fiancee swore it was pork)! Delicious!

#326957 - 03/21/08 06:21 AM
Doxiesam

Reged: 07/09/07
Loc: Oklahoma

My husband is very easy when it comes to food, I make sure to keep salsa and regular cheese in stock and he's a happy camper. He's recently started eating baked Tostitos instead of fried chips. For the past 3 months he's been working nights so he's normally home for breakfast only (cereal, oatmeal, toast, bagels), unless it's his day off. Since I'm the only one home for most dinners I tend to make something simple for myself or eat leftovers from the day before. When I cook I tend to make extra for lunches or for dinner the next day. When I'm too tired to cook and he's home (he's a full time student as well) I'll make up some grilled "cheese" sandwiches, using soy sliced cheese and smart balance light for myself, while making his with regular butter and sliced American cheese. We also make grilled chicken sandwiches, or just regular chicken breast basted with different flavors. Twice a month I do the grocery shopping and buy a whole chicken to season with taco seasoning and we have chicken tacos, with only two of us it'll last a few meals. I also have a lot of regular snack items around for my husband since he is away from home for 2 meals almost every day. He does not want to eat out so he takes snack items that do not require heating. (Kashi Bars, raisins, trail mix (low salt), natural peanut butter, low fat crackers, fruits, veggies, and homemade oatmeal bars we put together once a week). My husband was never much of a red meat eater but he does enjoy a burger every now and then. I tell him he's welcome to have it or pizza, anything he enjoys that I can't eat. We always have homemade bread in the house, so sandwiches are perfect for when you're too tired or don't have a lot of time to put something together. You may want to look at the recipe index and see if you can find something new or different to try. I visit it a couple of times a week and always find something else I want to try.

-Samantha

--------------------
IBS-D - Diagnosed August 2002 (No D since October 07!)
Pain (No pain since October 07!), Gas/Bloating (Better)
Mild Ulcerative Colitis - Diagnosed August 2007
Acid Reflux - Diagnosed 1997
Medicine: Acacia (24 grams), Prilosec [Reflux] (20mg), Lialda [UC](2.5mg).

#326984 - 03/21/08 11:12 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Can't believe I haven't thought of tacos to use ground turkey for! Thanks jhuggs!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#327002 - 03/21/08 02:12 PM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

I have been on the diet since June 2007. At first I fed my husband what I ate. It took about 2 weeks before he told me that he wasn't eating chicken and fish all the time. Now I plan two protein sources for most meals--I literally never feed him chicken or fish intentionally--if he choses to eat what I eat then fine. I use the crock pot, I make foil dinners with different meat, I make oven fries (that I can eat too) and grill separate meat, etc. It takes a little extra planning since I work full time but it is doable. This morning my husband told me that he hoped I could eventually eat "normal" food because I was too skinny!!! Now if that doesn't take the cake. I don't think I am skinny and I definitely am not--I just weigh about 20 lbs less than I did 18 months ago and I am well within normal range. I guess he got used to a little middle age padding. I still weigh more than I did when we got married!! Good luck to you Susie. I know you are having a time of it with your daughter and all. One thing I have determined is that I can eat the chicken fajita meat at two of my local mexican places (in TX there is one on every corner). Also there is small cafe near my home that sells the best chicken noodle soup and it doesn't bother me. Also, one of the mexican restaurants has a snapper cooked in a foil pouch that makes the most wonderful fish tacos with corn tortillas and a little avocado & salsa. I order what I can eat and let hubby get his beef!!

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2055 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4719

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review