All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Acacia success question
      #326828 - 03/19/08 01:02 PM
Kimberley321

Reged: 01/21/08
Loc: London, UK

Can any one with IBS D reassure me that they have had a remarkable success with acacia? I am not doubting Heather's acacia just very anxious about new additions to my diet.

I am ibs D and am extremely nervous about adding anything new to my diet and whilst i want to try acacia i am scared. I wanted to wait and see if the EFI diet alone would stabilise me but after some small successes I think i am ready to try the acacia.

I reacted quite badly to mango and papaya although they are both SF leading me to think i have a problem with fructose, however, this experience put me off trying new foods.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Acacia success question new
      #326847 - 03/19/08 03:56 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I started seeing an improvement in D after I started increasing my Acacia dosage. I am now up to 12 grams (2 tbs) per day. But I started the diet the same time I started increasing my dose so I'm not sure if it was one or the other or both. I'm inclined to say both!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#326867 - 03/20/08 07:40 AM
Doxiesam

Reged: 07/09/07
Loc: Oklahoma

I suffered with IBS-D from April 2005 to October 2007, before that I was IBS-C for a couple of years. I've been taking Acacia daily since August 2007, by October I was D free with a couple minor episodes caused by stress and holiday eating. I started with a ½ teaspoon once a day, and then increased it weekly by ½ a teaspoon. I am currently up to 24 grams of Acacia and I spread it out to 3 times a day, 4 tsp in the morning, 4 tsp in the afternoon, and 4 tsp in the evening. I can tell you I'm feeling so much better, I no longer have D or pain. I have a BM every day, usually once a day sometimes twice. I never have an urgency to have a BM like I used to. I admit I was very nervous to start taking a fiber supplement, as I had previously taken Fiberchoice when I was IBS-C, so in the back of my mind I thought "How can fiber help with D if it works for C?" I looked over all the information I found on the website for Acacia as well as read through posts. I figured what did I have to lose? If it didn't work then I would just stop taking it, but if it did work then I would be able to go out of the house without mapping out restrooms and taking Imodium. I did start the diet back in May 2007, but I wasn't strictly following it, as I was still eating red meat and dairy. By August I decided I really needed to give this diet a chance, since I was already feeling slightly better while "cheating" it was worth a shot to see if I could get my symptoms under control. Personally I think Acacia is very helpful and if your unsure of it, start a very low dose then very slowly work your way up like I did or even slower if you feel more comfortable maybe increase it every two weeks instead..

-Samantha

--------------------
IBS-D - Diagnosed August 2002 (No D since October 07!)
Pain (No pain since October 07!), Gas/Bloating (Better)
Mild Ulcerative Colitis - Diagnosed August 2007
Acid Reflux - Diagnosed 1997
Medicine: Acacia (24 grams), Prilosec [Reflux] (20mg), Lialda [UC](2.5mg).

#326869 - 03/20/08 07:45 AM
DeeSingleton

Reged: 01/11/05
Loc: Indiana, USA

I am actually IBS - C, but I too, have had success with Acacia. I tried it twice and gave up almost instantly b/c I wasn't having any success. This last time, which was about 3 years ago now, I was determined to give it a chance. It was rough for about a week, but now, I take 1 1/2 tablespoons in the morning, and the same at night. I never miss a dose now, b/c I feel great! I still am really careful about my diet, but Acacia is now my best friend!

#326876 - 03/20/08 08:17 AM
Kimberley321

Reged: 01/21/08
Loc: London, UK

Thanks for your comments guys - I think i'll give it a go - what have i got to lose?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 723 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1038

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review