All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
My Doctor Freaked Out!
      #326767 - 03/18/08 11:12 AM
CarolynC

Reged: 03/11/08
Loc: Connecticut

I have been working with my Doctor for my IBS symptoms.
To be honest I'm finding discouragement with doctors and IBS.
Just like Heather said..... my DR. told me to eat a high fiber diet!!! I was always in pain and feeling horrible.
I remember telling my DR I thought so much fiber was too harsh for my system. Her response was that all Docs recommend a high fiber diet for IBS.
So I began search on my own. That is when I found Heather's website and information about helping IBS.
I brought the "cheat sheet" to my doctor visit and asked my doctor about it. She FREAKED OUT at the list!

But....since my doctors advice was not helping, I went on my own and started incorporating Heather's diet plan and Acacia fiber.
So far this diet has helped far beyond anything my doctor has recommended, and I can't wait to tell her about this at my next visit. I'm feeling great today!!! Let's hope this is a start to a new trend in my life! (and everyone else with IBS)
Yippee!!! So far so good.

--------------------
IBS-C with bloating and cramps
occasional type A

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My Doctor Freaked Out! new
      #326768 - 03/18/08 11:28 AM
Wendy1234

Reged: 02/06/08

What did she freak out about? Probably the "white" bread. That makes me so mad when the world acts like you will die/and or gain weight from eating white bread. The diet is hard to follow, but I'm finding out it's still healthier than McDonalds, Taco Bell, etc...My doc also told me to eat more fiber. He suggested raisin bran. I have ignored that. Although I did OK for a while on Mini Wheats, but have since dropped that after major pains.

#326770 - 03/18/08 11:39 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

Had the same experience with my GI. He told me the internet was full of misinformation. Well, this diet has allowed me to reclaim my life and I am really happy about that. Following the diet is not that hard after you get into a routine. I went to covered dish last night and I ate only what I brought -- and the rest of the folks thought my dish was so good (penne with cream sauce, chicken, mushrooms and spinach) -- they could not believe it was made with almond milk and rice cheese!!! Happy IBS eating.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#326777 - 03/18/08 01:48 PM
CarolynC

Reged: 03/11/08
Loc: Connecticut

Yes! it was a whole lot to do with the "white" bread thing.

I had the SAME problem with the mini wheats!!!They did work for me, but I would have pain and bloat afterwards.

I am so glad I found this site and boards!! At least now I can show my husband I am NOT imagining my symptoms.

--------------------
IBS-C with bloating and cramps
occasional type A

#326778 - 03/18/08 02:35 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Unfortunately, this is a common experience. When the white vs brown bread argument arises immediately you know that the health professional you are talking to does not understand the role that different types of fiber play in IBS.

If we were to ask most GP and GI docs to explain the role that carbohydrates and specifically the role that SF, IF and FF (functional fiber) play in digestion and in particular, the regulation of GI motility, their answers would not reflect what the current IBS research has shown over the past 15-20 years. Hopefully, the next generation of doctors will be better informed.

Until then we have to educate ourselves, share our experiences and teach those health professionals that will listen to us what we have learned

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#326790 - 03/18/08 05:21 PM
Susie2

Reged: 08/07/06
Loc: Pomona California

Don't be surprised if your doctor dismisses your experience with Heather's diet. I brought Heather's cheat sheet and book to my appointment and he said some other patient also brought the book. He just dismissed it. I am finding that it is sometimes best not to mention things that contradict their beliefs. Gone are the days when when patients were totally reliant on the doctor's opinions and treatments. Not so many years ago pharmacies were not allowed to give out product insert information. We are a much more informed group of patients now and we can decide for ourselves what advice we chose to follow, what treatments we will accept and whom we will see. Too bad most docs still haven't realized that patients have rights and that a health partnership can be a good thing.

Syl ... new
      #326826 - 03/19/08 12:11 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

You always give such good answers...
Thank you.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#326834 - 03/19/08 01:29 PM
Laurastr1

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Chicago

That is interesting. I brought the Cheat Sheet and the 1st Year IBS book to my GI doc a few months ago and he was impressed. It sure was a lot more helpful than the extremely minimal and possibly incorrect advice he gave me - "eat a bland diet and Activia yogurt."

I honestly believe if your tests come back normal, you're not a big priority to the doc, despite your pain. I personally had to find my own answers which I found on this site. The IBS brochure at the doc's office talked about eating more fiber and showed an illustration of a bran like cereal and fresh veggies, ouch!

--------------------
Laura
DX IBS 12/07
Following IBS Diet with Weight Watchers
Also GERD
Former cast iron stomach

wendy and carolyn new
      #326840 - 03/19/08 03:26 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

Yes! it was a whole lot to do with the "white" bread thing

Seriously, you women are IBS-C and all the white food doesn't make you more C? How are you finding that you can eat all this white stuff and still have BMs? I haven't found that yet. Any advice or insight into your diet?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#326841 - 03/19/08 03:28 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

How are you doing with the Acacia?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1676 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3985

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review