All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How much fibre with meals containing red meat?
      #326757 - 03/18/08 09:19 AM
Wheresthedamnloo

Reged: 01/19/08

Iron tablets go straight through me so I need to up my red meat intake-dr's orders.

How much benefibre or other soluble fibre do I need to take when I have a meal containing steak? I want to eat well but I really need red meat.

Also, are we allowed an occasional naughty food if we have it with soluible fibre and if so, how much soluble fibre?

Thanks and God Bless.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How much fibre with meals containing red meat? new
      #326802 - 03/19/08 07:20 AM
Wheresthedamnloo

Reged: 01/19/08

bump

#326812 - 03/19/08 09:02 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

When I first started the diet I still had some extra lean ground beef in my freezer. I didn't want to through it away, so I made it into a super SF stir fry - I cooked the ground beef then pressed it between paper towels as hard as I could to get any extra grease out. Then I cooked potatoes, carrots, and a little bit of rice, and stirred this all together with some soy sauce. It was SO good and I didn't have any problems. I made this twice and both times I was fine. I loved it so much that I still make it but with ground turkey now instead.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#326856 - 03/19/08 05:38 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

sorry but the answer is that it doesn't matter how much soluble fiber you eat with it, red meat, especially eaten often, will be hard to digest. Especially since you are not near stable. I would try to find other sources of iron. There is iron in non red meat items too.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#326861 - 03/19/08 08:10 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I agree with Little Minnie, there are lots of good non-meat sources of iron - do a google search, there are lots of lists online.

If you haven't had success with iron pills, maybe you should try this. I have an iron deficiency and have been taking it for around 2 months and I'm feeling better already - more energy and a more normal period. And it doesn't seem to affect my IBS.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2627 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1598

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review