All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Frustrated with health/exercise magazines
      #326538 - 03/13/08 09:57 AM
Wendy1234

Reged: 02/06/08

Does anyone else feel this way? I read several a month and I wonder why do I read them? 90 percent of the advice is useless for me regarding food. Everything is eat more vegetables, eat more fiber, eat whole grains. I feel like I can't relate at all. Heather, I know you are busy, but can you try to fit an IBS magazine in between coming up with acacia packets, yoga video, more recipes, etc...just kidding. Although an IBS magazine would be awesome.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Frustrated with health/exercise magazines new
      #326540 - 03/13/08 10:08 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I couldn't agree more! I don't read fitness magazines specifically, but the 2 magazines I do subscribe to are both always touting the benefits of whole grains, fruits and vegetables, dairy, etc... And it annoys me that, although I KNOW that these foods are technically better for you, food manufacturers are finally jumping on the bandwagon and are starting to make everything whole grain. I mean, canned SOUPS are starting to add whole grain pasta for goodness sakes. Ugh!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#326546 - 03/13/08 03:01 PM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

Somehow cereals and other foods with massive amounts of fiber are considered healthy. For example, Fiber One has something like 14g of fiber for a half cup serving (and I'm sure it's almost all insoluble). On top of that, it has Aspartame in it. How is that healthy? I think even without IBS that would give me problems.

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

#326550 - 03/13/08 03:59 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I think 14 grams all at once like that can't be good. Even Metamucil has a warning on the package that too much fiber all at once can lead to intestinal blockages - especially when you aren't drinking enough water.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#326553 - 03/13/08 05:44 PM
Susie2

Reged: 08/07/06
Loc: Pomona California

If there was an IBS magazine it would probably have a board of gastroenterologists who would tell us there is nothing wrong with us except IBS and we should take citrocel (or some other fiber supplement), learn to relax, take an antispasmodic, take imodium or miralax depending if your D or C and see me in a year or never again. Oh, and make sure and eat a balanced diet. Just don't worry so much. That will be $250 plus expect a separate bill from the hospital for all the tests. Not to mention the labs.

But I totally agree with this over focus on fiber. It is not so much foods that contain fiber, but fiber. I think they add saw dust (well some form of indigestable fibrous material that noone in their sane mind would willingly eat) to foods now. I am reading Michael Pollan's "In Defense of Food." He talks about how we've become obsessed with nutritionism (not whole foods) and how the focus on what is good for you switches depending upon the "prevailing winds of dietary opinion." Interesting book. He's not fond of white bread, white rice etc though.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 308 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1127

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review