All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Newbie here
      #326506 - 03/12/08 11:10 AM
SayNotoGutRot

Reged: 03/11/08
Loc: CANADA

Hi everyone; One year ago, I had gallstone pancreatitis - they remove my gallbladder, after a series of painful bouts.
I've been home from work since Monday with inflamed intestines, severe stomach pain, gas, and bloating. I Googled and found this fantastic website (thank you Heather!) and have been reading for two days solid. There's so much to read. I've been on the Atkins diet and I'm sure that flung me headlong into this bout of pain. I lost 17 pounds over 7 weeks, but at what cost?
I'm looking forward to learning this new way of eating, but have a question. Would I need to buy the books for the diet info? Or is it all available on this site?
Thanks in advance.
P.S. is whey protein powder okay to put with my soy milk, ice and fruit for milkshakes?

--------------------
Eating right is the first medicine

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Newbie here new
      #326508 - 03/12/08 11:43 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Whey protein powder is NOT okay. Whey comes from dairy and it is a big trigger for most of us. I used to be able to drink a glass of milk no problem but whey protein powder gave me vicious D.

You can get all the info here on the site, but I still bought Heather's book anyway. I like to have a hardcopy to refer to whenever I feel the need - the info on the site is sort of all over the place.

BTW, welcome to the board!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#326512 - 03/12/08 02:00 PM
LMo

Reged: 11/06/07
Loc: Los Angeles, California

I've tried the whey powder and it kills me- major gas, bloating, sometimes diarrhea. Just say no. Then again we all have different sensitivities so you may want to take the risk and give it a try.

P.S. I love your posting name! Very Funny!

#326559 - 03/14/08 02:20 AM
SayNotoGutRot

Reged: 03/11/08
Loc: CANADA

Thanks Erilyn; sorry you had such a bad experience with whey.

I'm glad you like my username, LMo, what a week I've had. My doc thinks I may not have IBS because I've never had these troubles in my life; within this last year, it's been very seldom. It may indeed have been a stomach virus. But eating potatoes, white rice, pasta and bread the last 2 days seems to be settling my belly. I tried the whey and had absolutely no problem (mixed with soy milk). Whey is the more soluble and faster absorbing component of milk, casein being 80% of milk. But my ability to drink whey is likely more attributable to the fact I don't have IBS. My body was probably telling me DON'T do ATKINS FATHEAD!!!

--------------------
Eating right is the first medicine

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 358 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1367

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review