All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Stabilizing....Heather could you maybe check this out for a good customer:)
      #326376 - 03/10/08 11:59 AM
AndrewIBSC

Reged: 03/23/07
Loc: PHiladelphia, PA

It's been a long time so hello everyone. My IBS is hit or miss right now. I will have a good week and a bad week. I do not deviate from the diet at all, and have not for 11 months. In addition, have made all of the necessary lifestyle changes. Still I suffer from gas and bowel dysfunction fairly regularly. I have been on the diet for 11 months now and remember people saying it takes about a year to a year and a half to stabilize. I am definitely better on the diet but I feel like I am hopping around on one leg sometimes. In other words its relief but still no way to live. So in Heather's book it makes no mention of how long stabilizing takes. She says you will see relief but when can I expect to not have it disrupting days and sometimes weeks. Or should I have no symptoms at this juncture and do I need to revisit my approach. Thanks for the input in advance. Andrew

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Stabilizing....Heather could you maybe check this out for a good customer:) new
      #326385 - 03/10/08 01:44 PM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

Hey Andrew,

Long time no talk..Well I havent been on much lately.. I was wondering if you were still taking 3 TBS of fiber a day?Here I thought you were doing so much better. And I thought because I still cant seem to increase to more then 1tbs 2wice a day. It just kills me. I thought that why I havent stabilized??? What has been helping me is 1/2 tsp of Ground flaxseeds on my morning oatmeal. But I still struggle with gas every now and then and the lovely pains..

So I have been on this diet for a while too and was wondering when do I finally stabilize?? I follow everything to a tee.. and still have issues every now and then.. AGHH

well good luck with everything.. Let me know if you have any hints..

Deb

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

Re: Stabilizing....Heather could you maybe check this out for a good customer:) new
      #326406 - 03/10/08 05:35 PM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

My gas issues didn't go away until I started probiotics. My stomach used to be rumbly all the time, no matter what I ate. Now I only get that if I have dairy or something else that irritates me.

I hesitate to recommend a probiotic because people tend to have mixed success with them. Do a search on the boards if you like to find out which people are taking.

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

#326424 - 03/11/08 09:48 AM
AndrewIBSC

Reged: 03/23/07
Loc: PHiladelphia, PA

Thanks for the reply. I am already taking Align and have been using it for 2 months now. I also did a 2.5 month cycle of VSL #3. My concern is the amount of time it should take to stabilize. Heather makes no mention of this on the website or in the book. I want to know if I should change things or if I just haven't given it enough time. This is always on my mind!

Stablizing new
      #326426 - 03/11/08 10:42 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Generally speaking stability means that you can get on with your day to day living without IBS dominanting your day. It does not mean that you will be problem or symptom free. Here is a message with links to a variety of discussions on the meaning of stable

While, I found Heather's dietary guidelines to be valuable they did not address all of my IBS problems. I had to make many adjustments to my diet before I reached what I call stable. For example, I had to remove high fructose foods and soy products from my diet. You may have to make other changes to your diet that are not covered in Heather's dietary guidelines.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Stablizing new
      #326430 - 03/11/08 11:37 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Quote:

Generally speaking stability means that you can get on with your day to day living without IBS dominanting your day. It does not mean that you will be problem or symptom free.

Hmmm. Then by that definition, I guess I am probably about 95% there.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2940 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1567

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review