All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Sleep Disturbances
      #326371 - 03/10/08 10:11 AM
Kenny

Reged: 01/03/05
Loc: Valley Village, CA

Hi everyone. I have been visiting Heather's site for a long time, but rarely post in the boards. First, I wanted to reintroduce myself. My name is Ken, and I have been a long time sufferer of IBS-D my whole life. In the past few years, I have made good strides with eating habits and Acacia Tummy Fiber.

But... (saw that coming didn't you?)

I had my gallbladder taken out in June 2007. This has helped me (and hindered) me some. My IBS used to be much more regular in it's irregularity. Now, it's REALLY hit and miss, and it's changed. I had never had sleep disturbances, nor conpstipation before my surgery. Now, it seems it has shifted to IBS-A and I am woken up in the middle of the night with my heart pounding, whenever I'm in a bad cycle. Invariably, within a few days I will have a severe bout of "D".

Has anyone else experienced such sleep disturbances when in the bad part of a cycle? I search on the boards here but didn't come up with anything much about sleep problems.

Thanks!

--------------------

IBS-A: Gas, Bloating, Occasional Reflux, Panic Attacks

When the bathroom is rockin' don't bother knockin'!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sleep Disturbances new
      #326377 - 03/10/08 12:07 PM
julieb123

Reged: 07/19/07
Loc: uk liverpool

hi there i have ibs c am new to this site but had ibs for years hate it so much eat bad food any way lol
i have bad trouble sleeping just like you it cos we are stressed its hard i no have you tried chamomile tea before bed and a small sleeping pill hope i help

--------------------
ibs c with trapped gas

#326378 - 03/10/08 12:12 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I had sleep distrubances and sometimes night time D until I removed high fructose foods from my diet.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#326380 - 03/10/08 12:35 PM
Kenny

julieb, I'll try the chamomille tea, even though I really can't stand its taste. I know it has a calming effect.

Quote:

I had sleep distrubances and sometimes night time D until I removed high fructose foods from my diet.

Syl, I will look into more of the foods that I have at home and see if they contain high fructose. Is high fructose disguised under other names?

Thanks.

--------------------

#326382 - 03/10/08 12:46 PM
Syl

High fructose means foods the contain more of the sugar glucose than the sugar fructose. This occurs particularly in fruits and fruit juices such as apples, pears and melons and sauces with HFCS and fruit juices.

If you look at Figure 2 in the second article given in this message you will see a table listing unfavourable foods on the left-hand side and favour foods on the right-hand side.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#326384 - 03/10/08 01:35 PM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

Hey Ken,
Sorry to hear ya struggling.. Perhaps other stuff could be on your mind too?? Just a thought?? I know that can happen to me.

I lean towards C and on godly pain when I flair up. And yes, I agree stay away from other hidden additives.. Which is kind of hard for guys since you usually dont fix meals.

I saw in your profile your a musician.. what kind of music do you play?

Also, I am not a big fan of the taste of camomile tea. I prefer the Fennel or decaf green tea. Theres a new earth brand (green box) with lemon grass. Its pretty yummy but hard to find. Do you live near a trader Joe? They sell it there. Heather says its best to take your last tummy fiber before bed. This settles your stomach. So far its been helping me..

Hope you feel better soon..ask your doc if you can take tylenol pm.

Debs

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

#326387 - 03/10/08 02:20 PM
Kenny

Thanks auntdebs. I think I've always been anxiety-prone; GAD runs in my family for sure. A lot of the panic attacks I had been feeling were actually induced by gallbladder attacks. Sometimes my intestinal distress still feels like heart issues even though my heart has been tested healthy.

Actually, my wife and I practically live at Trader Joe's, so I'll check out that tea the next time we're there! Normally, I'll take my fiber in the morning, but I think I'll try both since she says it's really better to spread it over the course of the day.

I'm seriously considering spending the money on the self-hypnosis CD's but I'm not convinced yet. I need to do some more reading about it here and elsewhere.

As far as music, you can check out my old band at Jeddrah website. I play rock, blues, some jazz, etc., but I'm a classic rock influenced guitarist.

Thanks!

--------------------

#326397 - 03/10/08 04:26 PM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

Hey Ken,

So its probably the Panic disorder. I have it too..Arent we so lucky ha ha But thank god I havent had one in years. Perhaps you should consider a AD. I take Zoloft but loved Effexor as it picked up my moods and totally cured the panic but I still had IBS. But I had to swich to zoloft because of it being more safe while being preggo on AD meds. So after we conceive this year I am planning on switching back.
Otherwise ask your doc about Activan or Zanax. In the summer when I was on medical leave trying to go off Effexor he gave me those to help with anxiety and sleeping. And it did help. But my IBS was so horrible off them that he put me on the zoloft and amazing enough I am a lot better. BUT not stable.. I wish

TJ rocks.. love that place Look for Good Earth teas and they make a vanilla chai I make it hot with almond milk. I cant do soy... If you havent tried almond milk check it out. Very yummy and they make a chocolate flavor.. Great for hot cocoa..And be nice share with wifey too.

I checked out your band very cool. Why did you guys break up?

P.S. take your tummy fiber first thing on empty stomach and last thing before you go to bed. I hope you sleep better tonight

Deb

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

#350299 - 09/25/09 03:39 PM
Kenny

I hate to post on old threads, but I know what the problem is now. I was diagnosed this February with severe sleep apnea! The treatment (CPAP) has helped improve my digestion, anxiety/panic (not gone), and my whole life!

--------------------

#350304 - 09/25/09 04:12 PM
Syl

Over the past few years IBS research has shown that sleep disturbances can occur with IBS. For example, in 2005 a research paper titled " Sleep and gastric function in irritable bowel syndrome: derailing the brain-gut axis showed enhancement of REM sleep in patients with IBS and they have alterations in normal gastric functioning during sleep.

Also there is some evidence that melatonin may help pain in IBS patience with sleep disturbances but it doesn't appear to help with sleep.

I had a similar problem. I struggled with it for years. Eventually I found was fructose malabsorption, a common problem in individuals with IBS. Within a short time after removing foods with excess fructose (i.e. foods with more fructose than glucose such as apples, pears, mango, honey, high fructose corn syrup, etc.) from my diet the nightmares and panic attacks disappeared and the sleep disturbances settled right down.

Perhaps you can figure out if there is an offending food in your diet that acts as a trigger during sleep hours that induces sleep disturbances and panic attachs. It may be something you ate in the evening or just before going to bed.

Good luck

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 448 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5152

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review