All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Given up thinking about food???
      #326118 - 03/05/08 12:46 PM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Has anyone quit trying to figure out what's causing their IBS symptoms and just started eating what they want and enjoyed it???

I did this for four days and had four blissful days of no symptoms. Then i started stressing and it's all gone down the pan. Is this stress or is it the eating freely that's finely caught up?

Thanks

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Given up thinking about food??? new
      #326119 - 03/05/08 01:00 PM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

I think it caught up with you. While stress is a factor, if I am doing great and I eat something I shouldn't it takes 24 to 48 hours to affect me and sometimes longer.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#326153 - 03/06/08 12:36 AM
welshsarah

Yeah i think your right. Oh well, i've learnt my lesson

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#326156 - 03/06/08 05:16 AM
Kim2884

Reged: 09/10/05
Loc: CT, USA

I wonder about this myself. Sometimes it seems like when I throw caution to the wind, I'm pleasantly surprised with how few symptoms I have. And other times, when I am being very cautious, I have some of the worst days.

It's hard to know for sure though, and I'm not brave enough to eat what I want for a long enough period of time to find out.

--------------------
Kim

#326160 - 03/06/08 06:14 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

First, wow, I wish I had the "guts" to just start eating!

I, personally, wouldn't dismiss the contribution of stress on your symptoms. The symptoms started after the stress, not after the food.

I think you would have to try it again to see. When you eat "safely" and have stress, don't you get symptoms then too? I do. I don't know if the food made the symptoms worse than they would have been or not. But, I think it's definitely worth another try. Hope you really had a good time enjoying your food again!!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Probably both stress and food new
      #326162 - 03/06/08 06:15 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

After you eliminate trigger foods from your diet and then re-introduce them again it can take several days before IBS symptoms reappear. The affect of various foods can be accumulative. For example, some foods act like prebiotics that can affect the flora in the colon. After a food is removed the population of a species of bacteria may decline to the point where the fermentation by-products it is producing that changes the GI motility is so low it has no effect. When you re-introduce that food it can take several days or even a couple of weeks before the population returns to a level where the amount of by-products produced is high enough to change the motility of the GI tract again.

IBS is a complicated syndrome

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

PS new
      #326170 - 03/06/08 06:45 AM
Jordy

Did you eat "freely" at every meal everyday?

Also, maybe it depends on the type of food you ate. For example, if you had ice cream or pizza, that would be high fat and dairy (2 problems) which might have more of an effect than had you just ate fat or dairy without the combo.

I'm curious, what exactly were you eating? How daring where you?

--------------------

Re: Probably both stress and food new
      #326174 - 03/06/08 07:19 AM
welshsarah

So, am i right in saying that removing a food can make it harder to digest if you have it after a period of not eating it?

I'm not really sure that i understand the last bit about re-introducing the food- do you mean it can take weeks to have a negative effect or weeks for your body to be able to digest it again?

IBS is so complicated!

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Re: PS new
      #326175 - 03/06/08 07:29 AM
welshsarah

I did eat freely at every meal in so far as i ate what i wanted and felt was healthy for the most. I basically included gluten back in my diet again so i'd have an egg sandwich for lunch for example. I didn't have lots of dairy but we went out for dinner on Friday night and i had some guacamole that had dairy in it and I shared a chocolate cheesecake with my husband. I shared some popcorn with him when we went out to the cinema and ate chocolate. I also had white bread and a little cheese with my soup. I think the biggest difference to my diet was including gluten again. Maybe if i stuck to the EFI diet and didn't have the dairy, and high fat stuff, and didn't get really stressed it would have worked?

That freedom for those fews days and being symptom free was great! Monday it all caught up with me but it happened to coincide with work being really stressful so i comfort ate which stressed me out even more and ate far too much chocolate. So, there were a number of factors that caused it all to go haywire.

Now i have no dietary plan and feel pretty clueless about what i should and shouldn't eat.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#326176 - 03/06/08 07:33 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The effects I am talking about have nothing to do with the digestibility of a food. I am talking solely about the effect food can have on the bacteria population in the colon.

If you remove a food from your diet which is acting like a prebiotic (i.e. acting as a food source for colonic bacteria fermentation) then the population of effected bacteria will decrease due to lack of a food supply. This bacteria may be producing gas and other by-products which in turn may effect the motility of the GI tract. If the amount of by-products is reduced due to the decrease in population then the effects will decrease too. When you re-introduce the food you eliminated the population of the particular colonic bacteria that was effected will slowly increase which in turn increases the amount of fermentation by-products produced which in turn will start to effect GI motility again.

It can take several days - even weeks - to notice how a change in diet effects IBS symptoms.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#326179 - 03/06/08 07:52 AM
welshsarah

Ah, i see. Thanks Syl, much appreciated. AS you can tell, i'm rubbish at sticking to any diet so no wonder my IBS is so unstable!

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#326247 - 03/07/08 05:48 AM
Jordy

Well, that doesn't sound too bad! Not like you went crazy.
Quote:

Now i have no dietary plan and feel pretty clueless about what i should and shouldn't eat.

I'm in the same club!

--------------------

#327233 - 03/26/08 11:34 AM
Jordy

How are you feeling, Sarah? Have a food plan yet or still eating GF and EFI?

How's work? Do you still think about going to school for nursing?

--------------------

Chucks, looks like I missed you!-nt new
      #327238 - 03/26/08 11:46 AM
Jordy

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 177 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2585

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review