All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
my Life is RUINED!!!!!!!!!!
      #325799 - 02/29/08 08:46 AM
jason61

Reged: 04/12/07

ive been trying to break into sales for years and finally have an opportunity, however, there is 90% travel for this position. there is no way i can take it with all of my stomach issues and food sensitivities. i cant eat out every single day and never know whats in the food im eating. on my interview for the job they took me out for lunch - i ate literally one small piece of broccoli that was prepared in butter (was not aware of it)and had severe gas and bloating and indigestion for the rest of the day and was miserable. IBS has ruined my life and now i have to go back to my previous line of work and sit in a cubicle all day and make shitty money. what a great life i have!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: my Life is RUINED!!!!!!!!!! new
      #325811 - 02/29/08 09:16 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I wish I could say something to make you feel better. We are all in the same boat. I am stuck in a cubicle all day making shitty money too, and part of the reason that I am still here after 6 years is that I am afraid to find something new. I have a univeristy degree in Geography and could have persued careers in a number of different paths, one of which was environmental sustainability. But there's no way I could work in a demanding job that required me to do presentations, meet tight deadlines, and negotiate with people. I'm just not that kind of person and the stress would have KILLED my IBS. Last fall I started looking at a course in forestry science offered by a local college, and I started thinking about applying. I considered it for several days before I suddenly remembered that there was no way my IBS would allow me to work in the middle of the woods with no bathrooms for miles around. What on earth was I thinking?

I've never been much of a career-oriented person - I want to be the stay-at-home mom who works part-time after the kids go to school. BUT I don't have kids yet, and, heaven-forbid, it's always possible that I never will. I don't want to sit on my butt and do nothing for the rest of my life. But I don't want to work at a job I hate for the rest of my life either. Money is not important to me, I just don't want to dread getting up in the morning and going to work. I just feel that IBS severely limits my options.

Perhaps there is still hope after all - I've been doing Heather's diet for over 3 months now and things are getting better.

Sorry for the rant, just wanted to let you know that we understand.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#325817 - 02/29/08 10:02 AM

Unregistered

Your life is not ruined! Do not give up on your dream! You just have to work around IBS - can you bring your own food and snacks when you're on the road? When you do go to restaurants - stick to basics such as plain rice, pasta w/marinara, baked potato etc....Since you are on the road alot make sure you eat safely at all times so you don't get sick. Good luck and please don't give up on this dream of yours

#325828 - 02/29/08 11:36 AM
jason61

Thanks - appreciate your situation. Everyone keeps telling me to take this and that id be crazy to pass it up but they dont know about my stomach problems. i accidentally ate a drop of butter yesterday and am already constipated and bloated up. if i feel like this when im supposed to be in the field busting my ass its gonna make me suicidal.

#326062 - 03/04/08 03:53 PM
steve333

Reged: 08/01/04

Lets face it, with IBS you dont want a job that will take you on the road most of the time. I couldnt even imagine it!

#326072 - 03/04/08 06:16 PM
CJIBSDG

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Idaho

I hate to say it, but I have to agree with Steve... Unless you can get your symptoms under control, you would be insane to take a job that requires that much travel and working in "the field" I assume means not having your own personal work space and liberty to run to the bathroom every 15 minutes if/when necessary.

However, I can offer some advise on items I'm currently taking that have dramatically improved my quality of life (I'm actually planning 2 upcoming trips - something I wouldn't have considered for a second a couple months ago)

1. Udo's choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic - this has been absolutely amazing for me, I have not had either C or D since starting this.
2. Gastrizyme - completely eliminates gas in seconds. Believe me when I say I've tried everything on the market to no avail, but this one really works.

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

#326165 - 03/06/08 06:21 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

Gastrizyme - completely eliminates gas in seconds

what company makes this? And where do you purchase it? Do you take it before every meal?

It's frustrating that every store carries their own selection and you can't find a particular product, you are interested in trying, at a nearby place.

Are these the only 2 supplements you take? Or do you take a SFS and/or digestive enzymes?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#326169 - 03/06/08 06:36 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Gastrizyme

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#326230 - 03/06/08 03:51 PM
CJIBSDG

Syl posted the site where you can purchase this. I order it by the case (which I believe is 10 bottles). I keep a bottle in my purse, desk, car, home. They recommend that you take it a couple times per day but for cost reasons, I just take it when I have bad gas. They also recommend that you don't dilute it, but sometimes I do and it still works fine.

Yes, Udo's and gastrizyme is all that I take. I've tried the SFS but got really gassy. I was drinking the fennel and peppermint teas all day every day, but I've been very busy and just haven't brewed any for 3 weeks or more.

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

No more Gastrizyme new
      #326231 - 03/06/08 04:03 PM
CJIBSDG

Oh no, I just checked naturaRx, and they have a message that they are out of gastrizyme and hope to have a better product by March.... Dang it - I sure hope their "better" product is at least as good as (b/c I don't think it could get much better).

--------------------

Re: Too Late new
      #326245 - 03/07/08 05:23 AM
jason61

i took the job and am going for it - f it! im IBS C so running to the bathroom isnt a concern for me, but my biggest concern is how the travel, change in eating habits will affect my going to the bathroom. oh well...guess ill find out

#326248 - 03/07/08 05:53 AM

Unregistered

You know I don't know you but I'm proud of you (as a fellow IBS'er). Good luck to you and please keep us posted!!!!

#326253 - 03/07/08 08:10 AM
jason61

many thanks darlin! appreciate it

Re: No more Gastrizyme new
      #327187 - 03/25/08 07:51 PM
Carolynjoy1228

Does anyone know anything new about this? I'd really like to try gastrizyme. No matter what I do about my diet, I'm still getting some horrible abdominal pain after eating. My prescription drug for this (Bentyl) has stopped working. I need something to help so badly. I'm also considering starting an expensive probiotic, like Align or Udo's. I thought I would check at my Whole Foods, cause I know they have a refrigerated section of probiotics. Maybe there's something there.

Any advice? I'm in pain here.

Carolynh

#336177 - 09/18/08 05:47 PM
MJPJNP1

Reged: 08/06/08

Dont say your life is ruined. I know it feels that way now but I have IBS and IBD (more on the side of Colitis). This started 10 years ago and I literally ate Chicken, graham crackers, saltines, green beans and oatmeal. I lost close to 20 pounds which was way too much for me. I thought this was the worst thing that could happen. The Drs wanted me on pills which I went on then weaned myself off. I was very careful for the next 4 years to eat only bland an the above food for travel. Now that my stomach has calmed down I can actually cheat once in awhile and I do NOT have the contast pain that I had every waking moment. That was becoming unbearable. Then I also thought well I dont have cancer, or some other horrible disease so I try to stay positive. Now the worst part is my 15 year old daughter has it IBS (I am praying she doesn't get the IBD) AND I hate that she has to go through this at her age. At least I was in my 40's . Its not as embarrasing. So think positive and once you settle your stomach you might be able to take the sales job that you wanted. GOOD LUCK
MJPJNP1

#336180 - 09/18/08 06:36 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Have you tried the hypno tapes?I ended up quitting my job because my IBS was interfering.The tapes are helping so much i'm thinking about getting a new job.Just remember that you can take your own food with you and if you do have to eat out explain to th ekitchen you have allergies and must avoid this or that.They will understand.
Are youafraid to take this job only because of the food or do you have attacks that will prevent you from travelling without bathroom breaks.
If I could handle the anxiety I would travel more.The cd's are really helping with that problem.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#336186 - 09/19/08 06:02 AM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

You know you don't HAVE to eat out every day. I am going to do a LOT of traveling with my new job and I am just going to pack a little cooler in my car with my sandwich, baked chips, safe snacks, etc.
You can always find a restroom on the road too. I will have my route, and I know where all the fast food restaurants are. Not b/c I am going to eat at them...b/c I will use their restrooms all the time!! It'll be great!

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

#336188 - 09/19/08 06:36 AM
fancymom

Good for you, Jason!!!!!!!!! I am so proud of you!!

I just did the SAME thing 3 weeks ago!! I took a travel job and I am "going for it!" as you said. We will see how it goes. So, it looks like we are in the same boat now. I start my new job September 29th. A week from Monday. I am very scared, but also very excited!

I think we will both be just fine. It will definitely be an adjustment, but I think it will be worth it!! Like I said in my last post. We can pack a little cooler with our safe foods, and stop at any fast food restaurants for bathroom breaks. Hey - think of it this way...you can pass a lot more gas alone in your car than in a cubicle with co-workers all around you!! WOOHOO!!

--------------------
FancyMom

#336233 - 09/19/08 04:54 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

I love you upbeat, optimistic attitude! Tell us about your new job.....still in the medical field?? I know you're going to be a pharmaceutical rep and make all the big bucks!

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#336251 - 09/20/08 11:13 AM
fancymom

Hahaaa!! Big Bucks?!?! Yeah...I wish!
Nahh. Just some little bucks. South Carolina doesn't pay, ya know. SC is literally the LOWEST paying state in the entire nation for nurses!! It's depressing!

I took a job with an Infusion Company. LOTS of flexibity!! And a little more money(which doesn't hurt!) Hopefully less stress too!!

How are you, GaGa!!??

--------------------
FancyMom

Re: Fancymom/Too Late new
      #336260 - 09/20/08 01:02 PM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

Hi Fancymom:

I thought you just started at a large hospital in their surgery department??? But now it sounds like you'll be on the road??? Did something better come along??? I'm jealous that you can go back to work full time...with all the issues I've had I'm just not ready for it....but maybe someday..

Sharon

#336269 - 09/20/08 04:15 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

I hate to be negative, but just a bad day - actually week! Feels like IBS, with the flu on top! Then, my back started so it turns out to be a pinched nerve, sciatica and a herniated disk. But.... tomorrow will be better.... Thanks so much for caring... Sorry I don't have any cheese to go with the "whine"!

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Re: Fancymom/Too Late new
      #336289 - 09/21/08 06:45 AM
fancymom

Yes. I was working in the Main OR at a Level I Trauma Center. It was just TOO MUCH STRESS! Then...out of NOWHERE, this lady calls me from the Infusion Company I'm going to work for. She said she "found my resume" and wanted to talk to me about a job. Well, they offered it to me and I accepted. It was TOTALLY God!!!

I feel so completely blessed!!!

--------------------
FancyMom

#341541 - 02/02/09 12:56 PM
mokkagurl

Reged: 02/02/09

I take the UDOs choice 3-6-9 oil and love their products! Do you have bloating?

#341577 - 02/03/09 03:17 PM
Kteach84

Reged: 03/31/08
Loc: MA

Fancymom and Jason,

This post came up since someone replied to it. I'm interested to hear how you are both doing, considering all the traveling. I don't travel for work but I love love to travel. It's not as fun since IBS though because it can be so hard. I'd love to hear how you are doing and if you have any tips for others!

--------------------
I am training for a Sprint Triathlon- Check out my Blog!
http://redsoxcap.blogspot.com/

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5104 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10135

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review