All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Going to the supermarket tomorrow (hopefully) need some suggestions for food to stabalize D
      #325107 - 02/20/08 04:11 PM
Photofabix

Reged: 06/03/07
Loc: N Florida

I started my first thread yesterday, link, and now I would just like some suggestions for foods to buy tomorrow.

I have Jasmine rice, but thanks to Barbara50, I'll look for the cream of rice as well. As for breads are bagels considered safe? I really haven't been able to find a safe sourdough bread in my market (Publix)

Tea wise, I can not do anything mint, but I'm open to about anything else.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--------------------
IBS-D, Lactose Intolerant, latex allergy, MCS, Sun allergies, depression/anxiety, 156 pounds weight loss now (still dropping), cramping, rarely leave the house.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Going to the supermarket tomorrow (hopefully) need some suggestions for food to stabalize D new
      #325114 - 02/20/08 05:45 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

Hi Dennis,

I see from your other thread that money is tight... We have a very tight budget, too, so I have tried to pick and choose the few items that I will splurge on... here is my list of regular items and where I get them:

Protein:
* Canned salmon (anywhere)
* Fresh or frozen salmon or shrimp (anywhere)
* Fresh (or fresh frozen) chicken breasts (anywhere)
* GimmeLean soy-based ground "beef" or sausage (most large stores or HFS)
* Tofu - You can get it anywhere, but I prefer White Wave brand at the HFS (requires less preparation). Get extra firm refrigerated kind, not silken, if you want to cook with it. Silken is great for making creamy things like sauces & smoothies.
* 100% egg whites (I get generic version at Walmart)

Veggies:
* Green beans (I like DelMonte canned fresh cut green beans, but you can get whatever you like)
* Zucchini or yellow squash
* Carrots
* Fresh or canned whole tomatoes (for use in recipes)
* Any other safe veggies that you like

Starchy Sides:
* Pasta - Whatever styles you like... plain old generic pasta (not whole wheat)
* White rice - Jasmine tastes yummy, but plain white rice is just fine if you want to save $.
* French bread - I do fine with Walmart's plain french bread in the bakery, even though it has a little HFCS
* Potatoes (new potatoes - canned or fresh, frozen hash brown diced potatoes - plain, regular baking potatoes)
* Mission flour tortillas - anywhere... I use fajita size to make soft tacos or quesadillas.

Other:
* Quaker Maple & Brown Sugar instant oatmeal (I eat it every morning)
* Keebler graham crackers (original or cinnamon)
* Kraft mini marshmallows (I like to toast them on top of the graham crackers)
* Angel Food cake (fresh from the store bakery - prefer Walmart)
* Fruits - I don't do well with fruits, except maybe a few strawberries or something. Get whatever works for you.
* Morton's Nature's Seasons seasoning - great on lots of things & has no MSG or bad stuff
* Soy Sauce or Tamari sauce (Japanese soy sauce)
* Amy's Fat Free Alphabet Veggie Soup (I pick out the corn & eat with bread)
* Rice Chex
* Ingredients for homemade taco seasoning
* Ingredients for Chocolate Cake for One
* Newman's Own has some good pasta sauce (most large stores or HFS) I prefer Amy's Family Marinara, but it is a little higher in fat and is quite expensive.
* Soy Garden buttery spread (HFS & some large grocery stores) - This does NOT spread. It's more like butter and melts very well for cooking. For a spread, try Spectrum spread or Smart Balance Light

My splurges:
* Amy's Mild Salsa (HFS)
* Dr. Oetker's Oatmeal Muffin mix - YUM!! (HFS)
* Soy Dream original classic or vanilla classic (HFS or some Publix stores) I don't drink it, but I use it in recipes and have a bowl of Rice Chex every day.
* Amy's Soy Cheeze pizza (It's expensive, but I LOVE pizza. I usually pick off some of the cheese to lower the fat a bit, but I love it!)

Note: Work yourself into some of the gassier things like soy products, egg whites, & some veggies so your body can get used to eating them. If you continue to add them to your diet slowly, the gas will subside.

Re: Going to the supermarket tomorrow (hopefully) need some suggestions for food to stabalize D new
      #325116 - 02/20/08 06:14 PM
Photofabix

Thanks allot for that long list Julie that will definitely help.

I have a similar recipe for taco seasoning, I'm not sure if it's one of the spices or the soft corn tortillas I used, but I suffered bad d from it for 2 days both times I made it.

Soy milk, I used to use Eden soy, but I just switched to Rice Dream rice milk last week, I want to try an Almond milk but I can't find one with out carrageenan (very nasty stuff)

I didn't know Amy's made a Soy Pizza I wish they carried that here, I love pizza but definitely don't attempt to eat it in my current condition, lol.

--------------------
IBS-D, Lactose Intolerant, latex allergy, MCS, Sun allergies, depression/anxiety, 156 pounds weight loss now (still dropping), cramping, rarely leave the house.

Edited by Photofabix (02/20/08 06:17 PM)

#325117 - 02/20/08 06:20 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

As for teas - besides mint which you said can't do I also drink chamomile and ginger teas, they're both good for our GI tracts.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#325119 - 02/20/08 07:48 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

When I make the taco seasoning, I cut the red pepper way down. Otherwise, I follow it exactly and sprinkle approx a Tbsp over GimmeLean "beef" in the skillet, add a little water, and serve as a soft taco (I use Mission flour tortillas) with white rice.

I use the Soy Dream classic varieties because I think they taste better (more realistic) than Rice Dream, and they don't contain carageenan (enriched original and enriched vanilla do have carageenan).

Do you have a Mellow Mushroom in your area? They have great pizza, and some locations have soy cheese. Be sure to order it with no garlic butter on the crust, and take off some of the "cheese" in order to control fat. If they don't have soy cheese, they make delicious pretzels with the same dough (again, ask for them to be made plain with no garlic butter).

I'm not sure where you are in Florida, but the Destin location has soy cheese. That's the first time I ate at a Mellow Mushroom. http://www.mellowmushroom.com

Note: I'm editing my original list to add my flour tortillas and margarine.

#325120 - 02/20/08 07:59 PM
Photofabix

Quote:

Do you have a Mellow Mushroom in your area? They have great pizza, and some locations have soy cheese.

No I don't right now I'm living in a small town in between St Augustine Florida and Daytona Beach Florida. In my immediate area I have a Publix, Wal-Mart, and there is a whole in the wall health food store. It's nothing like the Whole Foods I used to shop at in South Florida to say the least. There supposed to be building a whole foods in Jacksonville but that is about 75-85 miles North

Quote:

I use the Soy Dream classic varieties because I think they taste better (more realistic) than Rice Dream, and they don't contain carageenan (enriched original and enriched vanilla do have carageenan).

The Rice Dream used to have carageenan too I was surprised to see this new version is not only Organic now, but doesn't have carageenan either.

Once and if I can stabilize I want to switch back to Soy milk, the consistence of soy milk is allot better!

Thanks again for your help

--------------------

#325162 - 02/21/08 08:59 AM
MelanieR

Reged: 02/15/07
Loc: Florida

These things always help me when I have D.

-Bananas always help me.
-I shop at publix also and I always get thier italian sandwich bread. It is made by publix and in the bakery section. Usually by the rolls, buns and cakes. It is pre-sliced and tastes good.
-I get the publix brand egg beaters also. That seems to be good on my tummy.
-cooked carrots

Do you have a Richards Whole Foods where your at? They are really small HFS but have a good selection. You can buy things in bulk. Like soy milk powder, cocoa powder, oats, specialty flours and many other things. They also have a pretty good pantry section. Many items that I couldn't find at my publix. We like the organic taco pack.

Hope this was of some help.

--------------------
Crohns, lactose intolerant

#325175 - 02/21/08 10:31 AM
Photofabix

Quote:

Do you have a Richards Whole Foods where your at? They are really small HFS but have a good selection.

Unfortunately the only health food store around here is a place Diane's, there stock is very limited, mainly vitamins and supplements. On the grocery items they do stock, they are extremely expensive, even for health food. In the next town there is a little bit better of a store called Love's, if it wasn't so far I would try to shop there.

I went to Publix this Am, and ended up with a box of cream of rice, chicken cutlets, and a loaf of Chicago Italian bread from the bakery. I looked for some english muffins as well, but almost every single one had milk, I found one that didn't list a diary ingredients but it had Hfcs (to which I try to avoid)

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions, it's greatly appreciated!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 276 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2179

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review