All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Doxycycline
      #325092 - 02/20/08 01:56 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Does anyone have experience taking the antibiotic Doxycycline? My GI wants to put me on it in case I had a bacteria problem. I'm afraid it will mess me up. I don't really want to take it but what if it helps? .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

bump -nt- new
      #325228 - 02/22/08 04:15 AM
Zara

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: Doxycycline new
      #325240 - 02/22/08 06:11 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

Never heard of it but according to websites I looked at it is used for treatment of acne and skin problems. Have no idea how it will affect IBS although when I have occasion to take any antibiotic I have not noticed any bad IBS flare ups. I usually am taking microdantin for UTI. Make sure and drink plenty of water with any antibiotic!!

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#325245 - 02/22/08 06:51 AM
Zara

Thanks Barabara, I didn't know I should drink more water. The doctor said also that it will make my skin flawless as a side effect so we'll see.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#325255 - 02/22/08 08:38 AM
Susie2

Reged: 08/07/06
Loc: Pomona California

When my gi decided to treat me for bacterial infection he used rifaximin (sp?). It did help quite a bit then.

#325260 - 02/22/08 09:13 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Doxycycline is a tetracycline antibiotic frequently used to treat traveller's diarrhea. It has been used to treat SIBO which is believed by some researchers to play a role in IBS for some individuals. Doxycycline has not been shown to be as effective as the antibiotic Rifaximin.

Reference
Yang, J; Lee, HR; Low, K, et al. (2008), "Rifaximin versus other antibiotics in the primary treatment and retreatment of bacterial overgrowth in IBS", Digestive Diseases and Sciences, 53, pp 169-174

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#325273 - 02/22/08 10:01 AM
Zara

Thanks Susie and Syl. Hmm, I wonder if I should take it at all since it seems that rifaxamin would be more effective. But I can't see myself calling the office back, suggesting that "I've heard that there's another kind of ATB which works" since I don't think my doc would be open to that comment....what to do, what to do...

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#325289 - 02/22/08 11:51 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

I think I would call him if I were you--after all it is your body and your IBS. I am getting somewhat bolder with my physicians since I got this diagnosis and have been able to help myself get so much better from the info I glean from this website.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#325291 - 02/22/08 12:05 PM
Susie2

Reged: 08/07/06
Loc: Pomona California

I think rifaxamin is quite expensive. My GI gave me samples and I only had to fill one rx which the insurance covered. He said the insurance most likely would not cover the 10 days needed. So could be you doc took that into consideration.

Some docs are okay with patients making suggestions or asking questions about treatment options. My gi would be okay but my endocrinologist - no way! She's good but there is no such thing as a dialogue. I might switch for that reason.

And most docs hate info from the internet. It's a difficult thing figuring out how to talk to docs.

#325297 - 02/22/08 01:51 PM
Zara

Thank you both. My GI hates me suggesting anything and doesn't listen when I do. Like, I tell him how I avoid dairy so he tells me to eat more yogurt - I mean, hello, are you listening to me? But he is good about testing and stuff. I ended up calling, and he will put me on flagyl which actually is used for treating intestinal bacteria.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#325330 - 02/22/08 06:48 PM
EJ51

Reged: 02/22/08
Loc: CT

I took Doxycycline twice a day for 3 weeks for Lyme disease which might be a bit longer then you. It did a number on my intestines,giving me diarrhea. My GI then put me on Flagyl to fix that problem, it didn't then another antibiotic it was working ins. wouldn't pay so by by. Problem still here

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 821 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12338

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review