All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Getting enough protein?
      #324927 - 02/18/08 07:58 AM
bbrussie

Reged: 01/18/08
Loc: Des Moines

I've been following Heather's Diet but notice there is not much protein involved. I've substituted soy for dairy but soy does NOT have nearly the same protein, it seems more a source for calcium. My biggest problem is breakfast. I don't tolerate eggs very well (even Egg Beaters) or peanut butter. At lunch or dinner I can eat turkey or chicken. I also seem to have problems with seafood, which is a very LARGE component of Heather's recipes. It's all frozen here, not that good and expensive (landlocked in Iowa). I'm trying to work in more lentils and beans (mashed and mixed with rice) but the gas they cause is problematic too. Beano doesn't work for me and YES I am taking the peppermint caps and drinking the fennel tea.

Any alternative ideas out there?

thanks

--------------------
Diagnosed February 2008, IBS-D. Trying to get through the day.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Getting enough protein? new
      #324930 - 02/18/08 08:17 AM
pieta8

Reged: 05/10/06

hI BRUSEE i found this diet to be no help whatsoever- and I also wonder about the fennel tea- i think the more i eat it the gassier I am. Also- I wonder how accurate her diet is- when a web site is full of ads for her products- I don;t trust it as much as another site that has no ads- like Ibs group that doesn't sell their own remedies. I do better w/o the usual - garlic, onions, brocollai beans- beano doesn't really do much. i will email you the other ibs site I think is really good if you respond to this post.
best
pieta

#324934 - 02/18/08 08:33 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Pieta, this diet has helped a LOT of people, but it doesn't work for everyone. I don't find at all that Heather pushes her products – if she was then she wouldn't be suggesting alternatives to her Acacia such as Benefiber and so on. She's simply offering us options. Even all the information in her book is available right here – free – on the website.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#324935 - 02/18/08 08:37 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Hi bbrussie – I am not a vegetarian, but the biggest vegetarian argument out there is that humans already eat too much protein. I don't know about that, but nonetheless it does make me feel a little better about eating less protein. They say you shouldn't eat more than a serving the size of a deck of cards per meal anyway – even the average chicken breast could easily be three times that size.

If you still feel you aren't getting enough protein, try picking up a jar of rice protein powder and stirring it into soy milk or smoothies!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#324936 - 02/18/08 08:47 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

In total you need about 75 grams of protien per day. This is equivalent to one small chicken breast. A good source of protein and SF for breakfast is regular oatmeal. It contains about 6 grams per 1/3 cup uncooked.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pieta new
      #324939 - 02/18/08 09:15 AM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

To:Pieta

I am very upset that you have the nerve to write on this site a negative response to Heathers diet. Why even comment if your NOT following it?? This site and her Acacia has made miracles for me. And the fennel tea sometimes is a life saver.. Apparently, it is not working for you and it is not a miracle cure for everyone. I diagree with with you saying she is marketing her own products. Heather is very knowledgeable and mentions lots of alternatives. Please do not come on this forum and suggest another website. Its just plain disrespectful and rude. However, I do hope this other info is making you feel a lot better..thank you for your understanding..

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

Brusse new
      #324940 - 02/18/08 09:23 AM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

Hello Brusse,

I add Vanilla almond milk to my oatmeal in the morning with a little flax seed (ground) a few frozen bluberries. This gives me a little extra protein with 2 SF (oatmeal and flax seed) to carry me for a while. Almond milk is very yummy and comes unsweetened for baking and sweetened for ceral, or drinking. Also, if you can tolerate Rice milk they also make ricemilk yogurt. I saw it at Whole foods before. Can you do soy because they have a few Companies that make a soy yogurt. How about rice/soy cheese on a slice of sourdough bread. Sometimes on the weekend I scramble a few mushrooms with pam and then pour in egg whites and melt rice cheese on top of a english muffin. This way its an egg sandwich Maybe you might like something like that?

Good luck..I hope this helps..??

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

plenty of protein new
      #324977 - 02/18/08 05:15 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I was reading a book on dieting recently called "Skinny Bitch" and it explained that the fever for protein of late is not necessary. It said that the normal healthy diet has enough protein.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

wait new
      #324978 - 02/18/08 05:20 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I think that is a little uncalled for. It can be beneficial to hear other sides of a matter and Heather doesn't make the forum only for those strictly following her diet. She also does advertise but very quietly and even some of the moderators don't use her products and that is fine with her. So there are always two sides to things and from time to time someone will say the diet hasn't helped them and that is okay. Even my signature says the diet has done nothing for my bloating yet I am a firm believer in its benefits.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#324988 - 02/18/08 06:46 PM
Hunca

Reged: 02/09/08

Protein is a huge problem for me, to get enuf. Based on weight and activity level, I'm supposed to have something like 72 grams/day, esp as I'm still trying to recover from surgery. Soy makes me gurgle and messes w/my hormones, and forget whey. I have to watch the fish intake because too much can cause mercury poisoning, and that's no urban myth. My DH knows a woman at work who just went thru this... she got mercury poisoning because she'd been eating fish every day, so she was put on a medication that draws mercury out of the body. Albacore tuna is among the worst offenders, which is, of course, what I eat. Fish should be eaten two times/week, maybe three if one of them is not albacore tuna. Cold water fish seem to be higher in mercury.

So, if you can't do soy or dairy/whey, and no red meat, and how many ppl cook fresh turkey? and legumes and egg whites give us gas (Beano doesn't work for me, either), then what do we do? Even the small Jenny-O breast roasts have preservatives in them.

I wish I had an answer... ckicken, chicken, and more chicken, and that isn't always completely 'safe', either.

** cheryl **

I

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 828 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2035

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review