All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Soy Milk
      #324736 - 02/14/08 10:38 AM
avjens

Reged: 09/13/05
Loc: Iowa

I am finally substituting soy milk for my skim-milk in some of my foods/drinks. I was really missing hot chocolate so I found a recipe on here (IBS safe). I have been heating up the soy milk and then putting in the powdered mix. After drinking it my stomach feels so heavy and uncomfortable. Could it be the soy? For people who can't drink soy what were your symptoms?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Blue Diamond Almond Chocolate Milk. new
      #324750 - 02/14/08 12:38 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Very good, and you can heat it up as is for fantastic hot cocoa. Just remember to shake the box.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: Soy Milk new
      #324774 - 02/14/08 04:39 PM

Unregistered

The jury is still out on whether I can have soy, but I think --I think-- soymilk and soy yogurt, etc. make me a little gassy and pretty bloated. Since I've reduced soy (I allow trace amounts) I'm less bloated.

For hot cocoa, I heat up in a saucepan 40 calorie Almond Breeze vanilla unsweetened almond milk with 1 TBS of sugar and 2 tsp of unsweetened cocoa powder. It's delicious. I have it every day. I absolutely recommend almond milk instead of soy. It's lovely.

Good luck with everything...

#325051 - 02/20/08 12:21 AM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

I felt bloated and gassy when I first began adding soy to my diet, too. I had to do it a little at a time for my body to get used to it (it is made from beans, after all...).

Soy is now my primary source of protein (along with some fish, chicken, & egg whites), and it doesn't make me bloated at all. For milk, I use Soy Dream original classic or vanilla classic (chocolate enriched is good, too). I don't drink it straight, though, because it can be a little too much on its own. I use it every day in my cereal and in recipes, though. I just try not to go overboard with it.

I think many people think of soy products as safe and forget about the fat content rule. The absolute max for a safe meal or snack is 25% fat content (calories from fat / total calories = fat content %). I personally find 25% to be somewhat unsettling, so I try to keep it closer to 20% or less. Anyway, my point is that tofu and soy milk are not necessarily low fat! Looking at the stuff in my fridge, the tofu is 45% fat and the soy milk is 27% fat. If I had a full portion of either of them without sufficient low-fat, SF to accompany it, I would be sick, too!

#325078 - 02/20/08 08:50 AM

Unregistered

Julie, that's a great point about the fat content of soy. I never considered that before.

#325080 - 02/20/08 09:14 AM
adobemoes

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Connecticut

Some stores are now carrying LIGHT soy milk by Silk. It doesn't taste any different!

#325082 - 02/20/08 09:28 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Quote:

Some stores are now carrying LIGHT soy milk by Silk. It doesn't taste any different!

I use the Silk Light – I don't find it tastes much different but it sure "feels" different – it's more watery and less creamy. I've gotten used to it, though.

However for certain cooking and baking applications, I think I'd prefer to use full-fat soy milk. For example, I made my Cream of Mushroom soup equivalent for a chicken pot pie last weekend and it didn't turn out nearly as good with the Light soy milk. Regular soy milk made it much better!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#325086 - 02/20/08 10:41 AM
MelanieR

Reged: 02/15/07
Loc: Florida

I use EdenSoy light. It is really good. It has 2gms of fat and 100 calories per serving.

--------------------
Crohns, lactose intolerant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2205 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2451

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review