All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anyone grow their own veggies?
      #324669 - 02/13/08 02:16 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Does anyone grow their own produce? I've always wanted to start my own garden, but ever since I've been on my own I've lived in apartments and didn't have my own backyard. Last summer I tried growing a tomato plant on my balcony but I didn't get nearly enough sun. I've just always thought it would be fun to grown my own veggies. At least you'd know they were organic, you'd save money, and you'd be helping to save the planet too because you be cutting down on buying produce trucked in from God-knows where at your grocery store. When we buy a house I hope the backyard gets lots of sun!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone grow their own veggies? new
      #324681 - 02/13/08 04:07 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I do!! And I grow all of my veggies in pots. I don't have an in-ground vegetable garden. Just pots on the patio. I grow tomatoes (who incidentally don't like a lot of sun, just enough sun), peas, lettuce, onions, peppers, carrots and herbs.

I'll be happy to help you "pot" garden (NOT the smoking kind!:)

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#324682 - 02/13/08 04:22 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I also grow veggies. It is my passion. This year I am renting a field to garden in because my garden is too rooty, shady and small. I hope to buy a farm in the next two years to start an organic vegetable business.

I started small. A place we rented had a little raised bed about 3 feet square. I also put some tomatoes in pots. One quick piece of advice I always give is to grow what produces well in a small scale. Do not try to grow sweet corn or melons unless you have tons of room. Grow what tastes better from home or what you can't get elsewhere and always grow herbs!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#324690 - 02/13/08 05:26 PM
Susie2

Reged: 08/07/06
Loc: Pomona California

I do, but I live in Southern California and they practically grow themselves. Tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, cucumbers, beans. In the winter lettuce and different herbs at different times. We can grow veggies here in the winter. I've seem tomatoes grown in big bags of Amend or compost. You don't even need a pot. Cutting lettuces grow well in pots and they don't have to be all that deep. Good luck and I hope you get a yard soon as in ground gardening is so much easier. At least for me it is. It is sooooo exciting to produce something you can actually eat.

#324702 - 02/14/08 06:01 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I have been growing veggies in my gardens - I have had more than one - for the past 40 years or so. It is a lot of fun but it can be back breaking work. And it can limit the amount of time you can take away from home for summer holidays. Lots of things to consider. Personally, I get immense enjoyment from my garden.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#324739 - 02/14/08 11:21 AM
Erilyn

Thanks Cassandra! We're hoping to have a house by late May/early June, but by then it may be too late to get some things going. Not everything though!

I've read that tomatoes only need about 6 or so hours of sun - not really a whole day. But my balcony faces north-east, so I only got sun for about 3-4 hours first thing in the morning - weak, early-morning sun at that - then it would disappear around the front of the building. The poor plant tried though - it actually started blossoming during the last week of July, but I didn't see any tomatoes start until about 3 weeks later. Then they took forever to grow, and none of them ever did grow big enough to ripen before the weather turned to crap. Oh well, here's hoping for next year!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.

#324740 - 02/14/08 11:24 AM
Erilyn

Little Minnie, how exciting! I don't think I want to grow veggies on that scale - LOL - but I do think it would be fun to get something really small-scale going, like selling tomatoes and homemade tomato sauces and stuff at a local farmer's market or something.

--------------------

#324741 - 02/14/08 11:29 AM
Erilyn

I've heard of growing things in bags - particularly things like potatoes. In fact the tomato plant I tried to grow last summer was in an upside-down hanging bag! I can't wait to be able to grow my own veggies - home-grown stuff tastes so much better! Plus you can be proud of the hard work you put into it!

--------------------

#324742 - 02/14/08 11:31 AM
Erilyn

Yes, I can imagine the hard work that would go into it, but at least it would be productive work! I've always been much more of a hands-on person - I love to do crafts, cook, and generally do things with my hands. I think it's why this desk job of mine drives me so batty. I'd rather be doing something REAL - where I can see a result!

--------------------

#324743 - 02/14/08 11:35 AM
avjens

Reged: 09/13/05
Loc: Iowa

I absolutely love my garden! Any questions ask, I live in the midwest so that is what I know about best when it comes to the conditions of our area. I have never done the pot kind but turning up the ole' soil kind of gardening! I grew up on an organic vegetable truck farm! Extremley hard work but well worth the time if you have the time, energy, love and people to help you.

Oh, I also can/freeze a lot of my produce so I can enjoy it all winter long

#324746 - 02/14/08 11:44 AM
Erilyn

Avjens, this is exactly what I want to do - start canning and freezing and enjoying all my own veggies year round!

--------------------

#324752 - 02/14/08 01:03 PM
avjens

Reged: 09/13/05
Loc: Iowa

Canning/Freezing is not all that hard either! Can be time consuming depeding on the veggie. Green beans are easy! Tomato juice a little messier but whole tomatoes are pretty quick too. It seems that it is a long last trade.

#324761 - 02/14/08 02:12 PM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

My husband and I have had vegetable gardens in the past. We didn't have one last year because we were out of town a lot. But the fresh, home grown produce always tastes so much better than store bought. It's a lot of hard work, but well worth it. My husband is a better veggie gardener than I. I prefer flower gardening. Plus, any garden or yard work helps take my mind off my stomach.

#324856 - 02/16/08 08:34 AM
MelanieR

Reged: 02/15/07
Loc: Florida

My mother did a veggie garden last summer. She was in a co-op. It was located at her work. A bunch of people took care of the ground and then split the ground up into sections and started thier garden. Everyone picked what they wanted and really enjoyed themselves. They also traded what they grew when the harvest was good. You could look into something like that, a community garden. I have heard of large cities doing that because nobody has any room to plant except the lucky few.

Or maybe your local botanical gardens. Ours has a fruit/veggie garden. I believe thay donate the harvest to a shelter and use some of it for the summer camp program. But you never know. They might let you have a plot in excange for some work.

--------------------
Crohns, lactose intolerant

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2203 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2340

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review